What is backweb used for?

On my S6900NX, there is a blue square a couple of pixels in each direction,
dead center in the screen.

Killing the process Backweb removes it, so I'm going out on a limb here and
saying the two are related...

What is Backweb used for, this is a pretty new PC, so I'm guessing it is
tied to something pre-installed. In terms of a spyware, it seems fairly
benign. But is there a way to move the blue square? If it were an LCD, I'd
send it back. Yes, it is more annoying than the Sony horizontal lines.

Compaq? Hp? Anyone out there listening to your customers?

Any help is appreciated.

Norman
2 answers Last reply
More about what backweb

    Backweb is a redundant method of obtaining driver updates. Any update worth
    installing will be on Microsoft's Windows Update service. Uninstall Backweb
    via Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs or stop it from loading by running
    msconfig and unchecking the box for Backweb Agent..
    I've never been a proponent of automatic updates in any form. Do it manually
    on a regular basis and keep the "snoopware" from running in the background.
    If you think this version of Backweb is a pain, you should have seen the
    first version, which was a major resource leak under Windows 98SE/Me.
    HH

    "n.heyen" <n.heyen@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > On my S6900NX, there is a blue square a couple of pixels in each
    direction,
    > dead center in the screen.
    >
    > Killing the process Backweb removes it, so I'm going out on a limb here
    and
    > saying the two are related...
    >
    > What is Backweb used for, this is a pretty new PC, so I'm guessing it is
    > tied to something pre-installed. In terms of a spyware, it seems fairly
    > benign. But is there a way to move the blue square? If it were an LCD, I'd
    > send it back. Yes, it is more annoying than the Sony horizontal lines.
    >
    > Compaq? Hp? Anyone out there listening to your customers?
    >
    > Any help is appreciated.
    >
    > Norman

    Thanks! Consider it uninstalled...

    Norman

    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Backweb is a redundant method of obtaining driver updates. Any update
    worth
    > installing will be on Microsoft's Windows Update service. Uninstall
    Backweb
    > via Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs or stop it from loading by running
    > msconfig and unchecking the box for Backweb Agent..
    > I've never been a proponent of automatic updates in any form. Do it
    manually
    > on a regular basis and keep the "snoopware" from running in the
    background.
    > If you think this version of Backweb is a pain, you should have seen the
    > first version, which was a major resource leak under Windows 98SE/Me.
    > HH
    >
    > "n.heyen" <n.heyen@insightbb.com> wrote in message
    > > On my S6900NX, there is a blue square a couple of pixels in each
    > direction,
    > > dead center in the screen.
    > >
    > > Killing the process Backweb removes it, so I'm going out on a limb here
    > and
    > > saying the two are related...
    > >
    > > What is Backweb used for, this is a pretty new PC, so I'm guessing it is
    > > tied to something pre-installed. In terms of a spyware, it seems fairly
    > > benign. But is there a way to move the blue square? If it were an LCD,
    I'd
    > > send it back. Yes, it is more annoying than the Sony horizontal lines.
    > >
    > > Compaq? Hp? Anyone out there listening to your customers?
    > >
    > > Any help is appreciated.
    > >
    > > Norman

Compaq Hewlett Packard Computers