Explorer Slow With Files

Hi,

I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
Essentially the symptoms are this:
1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
Reapplied the Service Pack
System restore to before the problem manifested itself
Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about explorer slow files

    I've been looking for the same thing for months. Keep coming across "you
    must have a virus" and "your network is slow" bull. Very frustrating. It
    would help if I could find some tools to tell me WHY explorer is waiting, WHY
    a program is timing out before something happens. I see these 60 sec., 90
    sec., 180 sec. delay and NOTHING is claiming to be having a problem. I have
    reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is rediculous.
    No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on while
    it just sits.

    I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed some
    hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what explorer is
    waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a real
    fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a solution.
    Nope!

    If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I said,
    I've been looking for months...

    "Mike Ferrie" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
    > Essentially the symptoms are this:
    > 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
    > before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
    > 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
    > immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
    > 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
    > bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
    > The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
    > Reapplied the Service Pack
    > System restore to before the problem manifested itself
    > Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.
    >
    > Thanks

    Hello
    Do you have .zip files in the root directories you're looking
    at? If so, move them to a sub-folder. (Win Xp unpacks root
    ..zip stuff)

    "Fifthgen Guy" <Fifthgen Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been looking for the same thing for months. Keep coming across "you
    > must have a virus" and "your network is slow" bull. Very frustrating. It
    > would help if I could find some tools to tell me WHY explorer is waiting,
    > WHY
    > a program is timing out before something happens. I see these 60 sec., 90
    > sec., 180 sec. delay and NOTHING is claiming to be having a problem. I
    > have
    > reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is rediculous.
    > No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on
    > while
    > it just sits.
    >
    > I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed
    > some
    > hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what explorer
    > is
    > waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a
    > real
    > fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a
    > solution.
    > Nope!
    >
    > If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I said,
    > I've been looking for months...
    >
    > "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my
    >> PC.
    >> Essentially the symptoms are this:
    >> 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second
    >> pause
    >> before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
    >> 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
    >> immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
    >> 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay
    >> in
    >> bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up
    >> immediately.
    >> The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
    >> Reapplied the Service Pack
    >> System restore to before the problem manifested itself
    >> Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and
    >> reinstall.
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Nice thought, but nope. This is not a thing where the system is busy in any
    way. I have zip files turned off (use winrar) and have other overhead junk
    turned off. With GLINT, I can watch cpu, disk I/O, memory use, cache use,
    etc. All very idle. (Also use process explorer to what over all tasks and
    gross activity.) This is some whacko timeout thing going on. It is like
    explorer tries to send a message, times out, then forces the issue and things
    start to respond. Response times start at 60 sec., and I've seen 120 sec and
    I think 90 sec. Maybe there is some 30 sec. timeout and it normally takes 2.
    But, in any case, tain't a resource overload thing in any way. And, with
    all files in the same place, I can get this corrected by reinstalling winxp
    pro. [I have all the latest updates, merged SP2 into my winxp cd, made it
    bootable - which it wasn't before, so when I rebuild, I automatically have
    SP2 in there.]

    It took a while to be sure that it wasn't IExplorer. I installed firefox
    and found it had the exact same problems. Also, left clicking on a PDF file
    will fire up immediately, but sometimes, clicking on a word or excel file
    will take 60 or 120 sec to fire up -- and then another 60 sec to actually
    load the file. No disk activity, cpu activity, etc. during that time. Just
    the normal dribbles. This is clearly some timeout thing.

    With the lack of tools, I've done crazy things like creating another user to
    see if it is a user thing. Then, worse, I take chunks of the registry and
    replace it with chunks from another system, etc. Of course, this leads to
    disasters - but such is the life of testing with no tools... ;-)

    Someone in the bowels of MS knows what this is and has a quick way of
    verifying the problem. After all, when an interprocessor message of some
    sort doesn't make it and a timeout occurs, someone knows which thing is
    failing and probably why. That is a big part of the frustration. I have no
    tools to find this myself and I don't see any real help out here. Just the
    usual "it must be a virus", which, admittedly is very frequently the case for
    a lot of people.

    Thanks for the try, though!

    -- Joe

    "WRH" wrote:

    > Hello
    > Do you have .zip files in the root directories you're looking
    > at? If so, move them to a sub-folder. (Win Xp unpacks root
    > ..zip stuff)
    >

    > "Fifthgen Guy" <Fifthgen Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I've been looking for the same thing for months. Keep coming across "you
    > > must have a virus" and "your network is slow" bull. Very frustrating. It
    > > would help if I could find some tools to tell me WHY explorer is waiting,
    > > WHY
    > > a program is timing out before something happens. I see these 60 sec., 90
    > > sec., 180 sec. delay and NOTHING is claiming to be having a problem. I
    > > have
    > > reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is rediculous.
    > > No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on
    > > while
    > > it just sits.
    > >
    > > I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed
    > > some
    > > hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what explorer
    > > is
    > > waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a
    > > real
    > > fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a
    > > solution.
    > > Nope!
    > >
    > > If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I said,
    > > I've been looking for months...
    > >
    > > "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my
    > >> PC.
    > >> Essentially the symptoms are this:
    > >> 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second
    > >> pause
    > >> before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
    > >> 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
    > >> immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
    > >> 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay
    > >> in
    > >> bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up
    > >> immediately.
    > >> The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
    > >> Reapplied the Service Pack
    > >> System restore to before the problem manifested itself
    > >> Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
    > >>
    > >> Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and
    > >> reinstall.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    One final thought...you probably checked this already but
    does the problem occur when the PC is not physically connected
    to any network and there are no mapped drives?

> [...]
    >> > have
    >> > reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is
    >> > rediculous.
    >> > No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on
    >> > while
    >> > it just sits.
    >> >
    >> > I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed
    >> > some
    >> > hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what
    >> > explorer
    >> > is
    >> > waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a
    >> > real
    >> > fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a
    >> > solution.
    >> > Nope!
    >> >
    >> > If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:37:01 -0700, Fifthgen Guy
    <FifthgenGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >OMG!!! I found this one. This time, it showed up because of a clean boot
    >(turning off almost everything). In short, hpOFXM07.exe for my HP Officejet
    >V40 software is the culprit. If I kill it, the problem immediately
    >disappears. If I fire it up again, I go into the huge timeouts. I tried
    >uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software (this is the fax junk,
    >etc, scanner software, etc. that comes with the printer). It complained that
    >part of the install was "Unable to start the application--the Java Virtual
    >Machine cannot be loaded." So, I'm guessing that after a do a reinstall of
    >winxp, things would stop working properly after I had to install newer java
    >for some program - don't remember that, so probably something automatic.
    >But, this is a guess.
    >
    >I'm also guessing that the FX in the name means that this is some driver for
    >the FAX interface - which I don't use. So, if you have this program running
    >on your system, kill it (or close the hp printer icon in your systray) and
    >see if your system starts working again.
    >
    >Just insane... but, true..??
    >
    >-- Joe B.
    Good find !
    very often, these exact symptoms are seen when an application
    misbehaves that has added something to the right click
    context menu.
    Uninstalling the offending program is the soution.

    Your HP prog didn't add anything to the right click context menu did
    it?
    Dave

    All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client service
    and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
    context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
    However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same old
    problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different network
    cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
    What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
    opens a local file?
    Any ideas?

    "Mike Ferrie" <MikeFerrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client
    > service
    > and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
    > context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
    > However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same
    > old
    > problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different
    > network
    > cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
    > What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
    > opens a local file?
    > Any ideas?

    Try removing all the unneeded shortcuts in My Network Places. See the
    following link:

    http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html

    Kerry

    "Mike Ferrie" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
    > Essentially the symptoms are this:
    > 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
    > before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
    > 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
    > immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
    > 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
    > bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
    > The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
    > Reapplied the Service Pack
    > System restore to before the problem manifested itself
    > Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.
    >
    > Thanks

    Has anyone found another solution to this? I recently started experiencing
    the same issue on my XP Home SP2 box. Right clicking on most (not all)
    non-executable files produces a long 30+ second pause before the menu
    appears. Double-clicking these same file types gets the same very delayed
    response before they are finally opened in the appropriate associated
    application.

    Only change I am aware of is that I uninstalled my nVidia software, reseated
    the card (actually removed card to use in another system, then put back
    before powering back on), powered up & reinstalled the same version of the
    nVidia software I had been using (77.72).

    I do have an HP Scanner attached, but no HP software is running in
    taskmanager, or shown in any startup areas (registry, start menu).

    This is immensely annoying! I'm really hoping to avoid a complete reinstall.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    Yes, that worked perfectly for me too. But now I don't have network access.
    Ouch!

    "Mike Ferrie" wrote:

    > All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client service
    > and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
    > context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
    > However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same old
    > problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different network
    > cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
    > What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
    > opens a local file?
    > Any ideas?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I found the source of the issue (for me anyway) -- I had a shortcut on my
    desktop that pointed to a shared folder on another machine. That machine had
    been powerd off for a while, and it seems that not having that machine on the
    network caused explorer to have this immense lag as long as that shortcut
    remained on the desktop. Either powering up the remote machine w/ the
    shared folder, or removing the shortcut would restore normal response times
    for right click and opening files which require associated applications to be
    started for the file to be viewed.

    "dave" wrote:

    > Yes, that worked perfectly for me too. But now I don't have network access.
    > Ouch!
    >
    > "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
    >
    > > All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client service
    > > and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
    > > context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
    > > However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same old
    > > problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different network
    > > cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
    > > What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
    > > opens a local file?
    > > Any ideas?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

    I'm having the same issue and I found that killing the "BTTRAY.EXE" (WIDCOMMs
    Bluetooth app) process from the task manager took care of the problem. Now, I
    just need to find out why this was causing the problem...

    "Jon Kelly" wrote:

    > "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
    > > Essentially the symptoms are this:
    > > 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
    > > before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
    > > 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
    > > immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
    > > 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
    > > bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
    > > The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
    > > Reapplied the Service Pack
    > > System restore to before the problem manifested itself
    > > Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > Has anyone found another solution to this? I recently started experiencing
    > the same issue on my XP Home SP2 box. Right clicking on most (not all)
    > non-executable files produces a long 30+ second pause before the menu
    > appears. Double-clicking these same file types gets the same very delayed
    > response before they are finally opened in the appropriate associated
    > application.
    >
    > Only change I am aware of is that I uninstalled my nVidia software, reseated
    > the card (actually removed card to use in another system, then put back
    > before powering back on), powered up & reinstalled the same version of the
    > nVidia software I had been using (77.72).
    >
    > I do have an HP Scanner attached, but no HP software is running in
    > taskmanager, or shown in any startup areas (registry, start menu).
    >
    > This is immensely annoying! I'm really hoping to avoid a complete reinstall.
  12. Hi,
    I had the same nasty isssue which was driving me nuts for weeks.
    today, absolutely unbelieveable, my explorer rans in lightning speed again. all i did was: changed the batteries of my bluetooth mouse!
    believe it or not. old weak batteries --> slow explorer. new ones --> all problems gone.

    hope, this helps, greets

Explorer Windows XP