Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Explorer Slow With Files

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 8:11:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hi,

I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
Essentially the symptoms are this:
1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
Reapplied the Service Pack
System restore to before the problem manifested itself
Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.

Thanks

More about : explorer slow files

Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:39:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I've been looking for the same thing for months. Keep coming across "you
must have a virus" and "your network is slow" bull. Very frustrating. It
would help if I could find some tools to tell me WHY explorer is waiting, WHY
a program is timing out before something happens. I see these 60 sec., 90
sec., 180 sec. delay and NOTHING is claiming to be having a problem. I have
reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is rediculous.
No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on while
it just sits.

I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed some
hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what explorer is
waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a real
fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a solution.
Nope!

If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I said,
I've been looking for months...

"Mike Ferrie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
> Essentially the symptoms are this:
> 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
> before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
> 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
> immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
> 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
> bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
> The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
> Reapplied the Service Pack
> System restore to before the problem manifested itself
> Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.
>
> Thanks
>
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:28:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Hello
Do you have .zip files in the root directories you're looking
at? If so, move them to a sub-folder. (Win Xp unpacks root
..zip stuff)


"Fifthgen Guy" <Fifthgen Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:425B60B0-F68E-4578-B334-7D5561CCFEE5@microsoft.com...
> I've been looking for the same thing for months. Keep coming across "you
> must have a virus" and "your network is slow" bull. Very frustrating. It
> would help if I could find some tools to tell me WHY explorer is waiting,
> WHY
> a program is timing out before something happens. I see these 60 sec., 90
> sec., 180 sec. delay and NOTHING is claiming to be having a problem. I
> have
> reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is rediculous.
> No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on
> while
> it just sits.
>
> I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed
> some
> hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what explorer
> is
> waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a
> real
> fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a
> solution.
> Nope!
>
> If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I said,
> I've been looking for months...
>
> "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my
>> PC.
>> Essentially the symptoms are this:
>> 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second
>> pause
>> before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
>> 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
>> immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
>> 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay
>> in
>> bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up
>> immediately.
>> The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
>> Reapplied the Service Pack
>> System restore to before the problem manifested itself
>> Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
>>
>> Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and
>> reinstall.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 9, 2005 12:28:22 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Nice thought, but nope. This is not a thing where the system is busy in any
way. I have zip files turned off (use winrar) and have other overhead junk
turned off. With GLINT, I can watch cpu, disk I/O, memory use, cache use,
etc. All very idle. (Also use process explorer to what over all tasks and
gross activity.) This is some whacko timeout thing going on. It is like
explorer tries to send a message, times out, then forces the issue and things
start to respond. Response times start at 60 sec., and I've seen 120 sec and
I think 90 sec. Maybe there is some 30 sec. timeout and it normally takes 2.
But, in any case, tain't a resource overload thing in any way. And, with
all files in the same place, I can get this corrected by reinstalling winxp
pro. [I have all the latest updates, merged SP2 into my winxp cd, made it
bootable - which it wasn't before, so when I rebuild, I automatically have
SP2 in there.]

It took a while to be sure that it wasn't IExplorer. I installed firefox
and found it had the exact same problems. Also, left clicking on a PDF file
will fire up immediately, but sometimes, clicking on a word or excel file
will take 60 or 120 sec to fire up -- and then another 60 sec to actually
load the file. No disk activity, cpu activity, etc. during that time. Just
the normal dribbles. This is clearly some timeout thing.

With the lack of tools, I've done crazy things like creating another user to
see if it is a user thing. Then, worse, I take chunks of the registry and
replace it with chunks from another system, etc. Of course, this leads to
disasters - but such is the life of testing with no tools... ;-)

Someone in the bowels of MS knows what this is and has a quick way of
verifying the problem. After all, when an interprocessor message of some
sort doesn't make it and a timeout occurs, someone knows which thing is
failing and probably why. That is a big part of the frustration. I have no
tools to find this myself and I don't see any real help out here. Just the
usual "it must be a virus", which, admittedly is very frequently the case for
a lot of people.

Thanks for the try, though!

-- Joe

"WRH" wrote:

> Hello
> Do you have .zip files in the root directories you're looking
> at? If so, move them to a sub-folder. (Win Xp unpacks root
> ..zip stuff)
>
>
> "Fifthgen Guy" <Fifthgen Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:425B60B0-F68E-4578-B334-7D5561CCFEE5@microsoft.com...
> > I've been looking for the same thing for months. Keep coming across "you
> > must have a virus" and "your network is slow" bull. Very frustrating. It
> > would help if I could find some tools to tell me WHY explorer is waiting,
> > WHY
> > a program is timing out before something happens. I see these 60 sec., 90
> > sec., 180 sec. delay and NOTHING is claiming to be having a problem. I
> > have
> > reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is rediculous.
> > No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on
> > while
> > it just sits.
> >
> > I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed
> > some
> > hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what explorer
> > is
> > waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a
> > real
> > fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a
> > solution.
> > Nope!
> >
> > If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I said,
> > I've been looking for months...
> >
> > "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my
> >> PC.
> >> Essentially the symptoms are this:
> >> 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second
> >> pause
> >> before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
> >> 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
> >> immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
> >> 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay
> >> in
> >> bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up
> >> immediately.
> >> The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
> >> Reapplied the Service Pack
> >> System restore to before the problem manifested itself
> >> Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
> >>
> >> Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and
> >> reinstall.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
>
>
>
Anonymous
April 10, 2005 3:01:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

One final thought...you probably checked this already but
does the problem occur when the PC is not physically connected
to any network and there are no mapped drives?

"Fifthgen Guy" <FifthgenGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:AF7A5735-AEDB-4BED-98AC-1BEA553DD1AD@microsoft.com...
> Nice thought, but nope. This is not a thing where the system is busy in
> any
> way. I have zip files turned off (use winrar) and have other overhead
> junk
> turned off. With GLINT, I can watch cpu, disk I/O, memory use, cache use,
> etc. All very idle. (Also use process explorer to what over all tasks
> and
> gross activity.) This is some whacko timeout thing going on. It is like
> explorer tries to send a message, times out, then forces the issue and
> things
> start to respond. Response times start at 60 sec., and I've seen 120 sec
> and
> I think 90 sec. Maybe there is some 30 sec. timeout and it normally takes
> 2.
> But, in any case, tain't a resource overload thing in any way. And, with
> all files in the same place, I can get this corrected by reinstalling
> winxp
> pro. [I have all the latest updates, merged SP2 into my winxp cd, made it
> bootable - which it wasn't before, so when I rebuild, I automatically have
> SP2 in there.]
>
> It took a while to be sure that it wasn't IExplorer. I installed firefox
> and found it had the exact same problems. Also, left clicking on a PDF
> file
> will fire up immediately, but sometimes, clicking on a word or excel file
> will take 60 or 120 sec to fire up -- and then another 60 sec to actually
> load the file. No disk activity, cpu activity, etc. during that time.
> Just
> the normal dribbles. This is clearly some timeout thing.
>
> With the lack of tools, I've done crazy things like creating another user
> to
> see if it is a user thing. Then, worse, I take chunks of the registry and
> replace it with chunks from another system, etc. Of course, this leads to
> disasters - but such is the life of testing with no tools... ;-)
>
> Someone in the bowels of MS knows what this is and has a quick way of
> verifying the problem. After all, when an interprocessor message of some
> sort doesn't make it and a timeout occurs, someone knows which thing is
> failing and probably why. That is a big part of the frustration. I have
> no
> tools to find this myself and I don't see any real help out here. Just
> the
> usual "it must be a virus", which, admittedly is very frequently the case
> for
> a lot of people.
>
> Thanks for the try, though!
>
> -- Joe
>
> "WRH" wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> Do you have .zip files in the root directories you're looking
>> at? If so, move them to a sub-folder. (Win Xp unpacks root
>> ..zip stuff)
>>
>>
>> "Fifthgen Guy" <Fifthgen Guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:425B60B0-F68E-4578-B334-7D5561CCFEE5@microsoft.com...
>> > I've been looking for the same thing for months. Keep coming across
>> > "you
>> > must have a virus" and "your network is slow" bull. Very frustrating.
>> > It
>> > would help if I could find some tools to tell me WHY explorer is
>> > waiting,
>> > WHY
>> > a program is timing out before something happens. I see these 60 sec.,
>> > 90
>> > sec., 180 sec. delay and NOTHING is claiming to be having a problem. I
>> > have
>> > reinstalled WinXP Pro 3 times now -- cleans it up, but that is
>> > rediculous.
>> > No, my machine was not hijacked. I run glint and see NOTHING going on
>> > while
>> > it just sits.
>> >
>> > I'm a systems guy, wrote some network code, OS code, firmware, designed
>> > some
>> > hardware, so it is real frustrating that I can look at see what
>> > explorer
>> > is
>> > waiting for. No indications, no tools and no one has even hinted at a
>> > real
>> > fix. I've mashed around the registry in hopes of tripping across a
>> > solution.
>> > Nope!
>> >
>> > If I find my way back here, I'll let you know what I found, but as I
>> > said,
>> > I've been looking for months...
>> >
>> > "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on
>> >> my
>> >> PC.
>> >> Essentially the symptoms are this:
>> >> 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second
>> >> pause
>> >> before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
>> >> 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
>> >> immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog
>> >> box.
>> >> 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second
>> >> delay
>> >> in
>> >> bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up
>> >> immediately.
>> >> The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
>> >> Reapplied the Service Pack
>> >> System restore to before the problem manifested itself
>> >> Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
>> >>
>> >> Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and
>> >> reinstall.
>> >>
>> >> Thanks
>> >>
>>
>>
>>
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 1:22:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 19:37:01 -0700, Fifthgen Guy
<FifthgenGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>OMG!!! I found this one. This time, it showed up because of a clean boot
>(turning off almost everything). In short, hpOFXM07.exe for my HP Officejet
>V40 software is the culprit. If I kill it, the problem immediately
>disappears. If I fire it up again, I go into the huge timeouts. I tried
>uninstalling and reinstalling the printer software (this is the fax junk,
>etc, scanner software, etc. that comes with the printer). It complained that
>part of the install was "Unable to start the application--the Java Virtual
>Machine cannot be loaded." So, I'm guessing that after a do a reinstall of
>winxp, things would stop working properly after I had to install newer java
>for some program - don't remember that, so probably something automatic.
>But, this is a guess.
>
>I'm also guessing that the FX in the name means that this is some driver for
>the FAX interface - which I don't use. So, if you have this program running
>on your system, kill it (or close the hp printer icon in your systray) and
>see if your system starts working again.
>
>Just insane... but, true..??
>
>-- Joe B.
Good find !
very often, these exact symptoms are seen when an application
misbehaves that has added something to the right click
context menu.
Uninstalling the offending program is the soution.

Your HP prog didn't add anything to the right click context menu did
it?
Dave
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:03:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client service
and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same old
problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different network
cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
opens a local file?
Any ideas?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:08:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Mike Ferrie" <MikeFerrie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:EF3A284E-E300-4A9B-B9BC-45578D0AC8B4@microsoft.com...
> All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client
> service
> and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
> context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
> However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same
> old
> problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different
> network
> cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
> What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
> opens a local file?
> Any ideas?
>
>

Try removing all the unneeded shortcuts in My Network Places. See the
following link:

http://www.ss64.com/nt/slow_browsing.html

Kerry
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 1:34:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

"Mike Ferrie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
> Essentially the symptoms are this:
> 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
> before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
> 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
> immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
> 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
> bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
> The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
> Reapplied the Service Pack
> System restore to before the problem manifested itself
> Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
>
> Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.
>
> Thanks
>
Has anyone found another solution to this? I recently started experiencing
the same issue on my XP Home SP2 box. Right clicking on most (not all)
non-executable files produces a long 30+ second pause before the menu
appears. Double-clicking these same file types gets the same very delayed
response before they are finally opened in the appropriate associated
application.

Only change I am aware of is that I uninstalled my nVidia software, reseated
the card (actually removed card to use in another system, then put back
before powering back on), powered up & reinstalled the same version of the
nVidia software I had been using (77.72).

I do have an HP Scanner attached, but no HP software is running in
taskmanager, or shown in any startup areas (registry, start menu).

This is immensely annoying! I'm really hoping to avoid a complete reinstall.
August 25, 2005 6:40:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Yes, that worked perfectly for me too. But now I don't have network access.
Ouch!

"Mike Ferrie" wrote:

> All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client service
> and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
> context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
> However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same old
> problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different network
> cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
> What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
> opens a local file?
> Any ideas?
>
>
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 6:47:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I found the source of the issue (for me anyway) -- I had a shortcut on my
desktop that pointed to a shared folder on another machine. That machine had
been powerd off for a while, and it seems that not having that machine on the
network caused explorer to have this immense lag as long as that shortcut
remained on the desktop. Either powering up the remote machine w/ the
shared folder, or removing the shortcut would restore normal response times
for right click and opening files which require associated applications to be
started for the file to be viewed.

"dave" wrote:

> Yes, that worked perfectly for me too. But now I don't have network access.
> Ouch!
>
> "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
>
> > All this time and it's a network problem. Turning off the DHCP client service
> > and effectively taking the machine off the network fires up right click
> > context menus and opens files as they should with no delay.
> > However, here's the rub. Setting a fixed IP address brings back the same old
> > problem. It doesn't seem to be driver related. I've tried 2 different network
> > cards (Intel and 3com) with the same outcome.
> > What is it in Explorer that's calling the network for something before it
> > opens a local file?
> > Any ideas?
> >
> >
Anonymous
August 29, 2005 6:59:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I'm having the same issue and I found that killing the "BTTRAY.EXE" (WIDCOMMs
Bluetooth app) process from the task manager took care of the problem. Now, I
just need to find out why this was causing the problem...

"Jon Kelly" wrote:

>
>
> "Mike Ferrie" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking for help with a frustrating problem that has happened on my PC.
> > Essentially the symptoms are this:
> > 1.Opening files through Windows Explorer results in a 20 to 30 second pause
> > before the files open. This happens on local and network drives.
> > 2.Executable files or applications open immediately. Also files open
> > immediately from inside the application e.g. from Excel open dialog box.
> > 3. In explorer, right-clicking on files results in a 20-30 second delay in
> > bringing up the menu, while with executables the menu comes up immediately.
> > The system is XP SP2. What I have tried so far is:
> > Reapplied the Service Pack
> > System restore to before the problem manifested itself
> > Disconnected and reconnected mapped drives.
> >
> > Any suggestions would be gratefully received before I go ahead and reinstall.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Has anyone found another solution to this? I recently started experiencing
> the same issue on my XP Home SP2 box. Right clicking on most (not all)
> non-executable files produces a long 30+ second pause before the menu
> appears. Double-clicking these same file types gets the same very delayed
> response before they are finally opened in the appropriate associated
> application.
>
> Only change I am aware of is that I uninstalled my nVidia software, reseated
> the card (actually removed card to use in another system, then put back
> before powering back on), powered up & reinstalled the same version of the
> nVidia software I had been using (77.72).
>
> I do have an HP Scanner attached, but no HP software is running in
> taskmanager, or shown in any startup areas (registry, start menu).
>
> This is immensely annoying! I'm really hoping to avoid a complete reinstall.
February 23, 2008 7:44:49 PM

Hi,
I had the same nasty isssue which was driving me nuts for weeks.
today, absolutely unbelieveable, my explorer rans in lightning speed again. all i did was: changed the batteries of my bluetooth mouse!
believe it or not. old weak batteries --> slow explorer. new ones --> all problems gone.

hope, this helps, greets
!