Mapping to already mapped drive

April 8, 2005 10:47:04 AM

A piece of software I have at work requires that drive K be mapped to a
network drive. Whenever I plug in any sort of removable storage drive, like
a USB drive, it maps itself to drive K. I have to disconnect the network
drive (and close the software that uses it) before I can use the removable
drive, then I need to remove the drive and re-map K before I can use the
software.

Any idea why this happens and how I can stop it?

More about : mapping mapped drive

April 9, 2005 12:01:35 PM

In the old DOS days you could set a statement in
Autoexec/Config "LastDrive=<whatever>". I am pretty sure
you can do this in 98 and XP also, but not sure where
(Boot.ini?). If you do this and set it to a drive HIGHER
than "K", then plug in your USB drive, it will take a
letter Higher than "K". Then you can map the required
drive to "K" and be done with it.

Hope this helps, even though it isn't especially helpful
with details.
!