Presario USB Problems

I have a Presario R3145ea and I'm having problems getting the USB ports to
work at all. If I plug my SPV Smartphone cradle into any of the USB ports,
the port provides power to charge the phone but the PC doesn't recognise
that any device is attached and doesn't report any devices attached to the
USB hub in Device Manager. Likewise, if I plug a removable USB hard disk
into any of the ports, the power light on the USB HDD lights up but the
system doesn't recognise the device and no extra device window appears in
Explorer.

I am running Windows XP Pro, SP1 and have donwloaded the latest hotfixes
from the HP/Compaq website.....

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sean G

hh

Is it the original OS or did you wipe the drive and install XP Pro?
HH

"Sean G" <sean.g@knowledgeworkstraining.co.uk> wrote in message
> I have a Presario R3145ea and I'm having problems getting the USB ports to
> work at all. If I plug my SPV Smartphone cradle into any of the USB ports,
> the port provides power to charge the phone but the PC doesn't recognise
> that any device is attached and doesn't report any devices attached to the
> USB hub in Device Manager. Likewise, if I plug a removable USB hard disk
> into any of the ports, the power light on the USB HDD lights up but the
> system doesn't recognise the device and no extra device window appears in
> Explorer.
>
> I am running Windows XP Pro, SP1 and have donwloaded the latest hotfixes
> from the HP/Compaq website.....
>
> Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
>

> Sean G

I upgraded the XP Home edition that was on there - didn't wipe the drive,
just performed an in-situ upgrade....

Sean

"HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is it the original OS or did you wipe the drive and install XP Pro?
> HH
>
> "Sean G" <sean.g@knowledgeworkstraining.co.uk> wrote in message
> > I have a Presario R3145ea and I'm having problems getting the USB ports
> > work at all. If I plug my SPV Smartphone cradle into any of the USB
ports,
> > the port provides power to charge the phone but the PC doesn't recognise
> > that any device is attached and doesn't report any devices attached to
the
> > USB hub in Device Manager. Likewise, if I plug a removable USB hard disk
> > into any of the ports, the power light on the USB HDD lights up but the
> > system doesn't recognise the device and no extra device window appears
in
> > Explorer.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP Pro, SP1 and have donwloaded the latest hotfixes
> > from the HP/Compaq website.....
> >
> > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
> >

> > Sean G

hh

Did the USB work properly with the original OS? If so, why the upgrade? XP
Home is fine for 90% of home users.