Sprint or Verizon in Southern California

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Does Verizon or Sprint provide better service in Southern California?

Mij Adyaw wrote:
> Does Verizon or Sprint provide better service in Southern California?

San Diego? Orange County? Riverside County? Los Angeles or Ventura, in the
Inland Empire, or in the High Desert?

**SJS - in Apple Valley, in the High Desert

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
> Does Verizon or Sprint provide better service in Southern California?

Never used Sprint-- but VZW is great.

Ike

Ira Hayes wrote:
> "Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
>
>>Does Verizon or Sprint provide better service in Southern California?
>

> Never used Sprint-- but VZW is great.

Depends on where you are. Down the hill, VZW should have no issues at all. Up
here, coverage is pretty good but they take forever to deal with repair issues.

And they're supposed to have good coverage out of Barstow all the way east on
I-40 to the Arizona line, but my experiences don't match those expectations.

In Los Angeles and at most of the tourist spots, either VZW or Sprint should
work just fine.

Someone

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in news:yXCDd.15037$yW5.693
@fed1read02:

> Does Verizon or Sprint provide better service in Southern California?

Verizon.

Beware of Sprint for awhile as they are selling off towers, to lease/rent
space elsewhere. Wierd!

Also, service is important, but the customer service behind it means almost
as much. Sprint is by far the worst ever, and Verizon is up there near the
top.

someone@nowhere.com wrote:

> Verizon.
>
> Beware of Sprint for awhile as they are selling off towers, to lease/rent
> space elsewhere. Wierd!

Uhm, no, not weird at all. In fact, Verizon does the same thing. They
all do. There are tower companies (Crown Castle Investments is one that
I know of) that buy towers and lease to all cellular companies. The
idea being that it's cheaper to the carrier (and more profitable to
tower holding company) to lease a tower with several carriers as tenants
on the same facility, than it is to own and maintain a tower with only
your gear on it.

> Also, service is important, but the customer service behind it means almost
> as much. Sprint is by far the worst ever, and Verizon is up there near the
> top.

Every customer has a different experience. For me, I had the worst
experiences ever with Verizon, while I've never had a problem with
Sprint. YMMV.

--
E-mail fudged to thwart spammers.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Isaiah Beard <sacredpoet@sacredpoet.com> wrote in

> someone@nowhere.com wrote:
>

>> Verizon.
>>
>> Beware of Sprint for awhile as they are selling off towers, to
>> lease/rent space elsewhere. Wierd!
>
> Uhm, no, not weird at all. In fact, Verizon does the same thing.
> They all do. There are tower companies (Crown Castle Investments is
> one that I know of) that buy towers and lease to all cellular
> companies. The idea being that it's cheaper to the carrier (and more
> profitable to tower holding company) to lease a tower with several
> carriers as tenants on the same facility, than it is to own and
> maintain a tower with only your gear on it.
>

>> Also, service is important, but the customer service behind it means
>> almost as much. Sprint is by far the worst ever, and Verizon is up
>> there near the top.
>
> Every customer has a different experience. For me, I had the worst
> experiences ever with Verizon, while I've never had a problem with
> Sprint. YMMV.

I also have had many problems with Verizon and none with Sprint

Ski wrote:

> I also have had many problems with Verizon and none with Sprint

My biggest issue with Sprint was that your first bill *will* most likely be
wrong. It was for me and it was for a number of people I know. These days, it's
trivial to get in touch with Customer Service to get the problem corrected and
you won't usually wait on hold for more than a few minutes - and granted, I
*did* sign up four years ago, and they might not have the problems anymore.
Just make sure you read your bills. I suggest that regardless of which carrier
you use, but some people think they don't have to read the bills the carriers
send them.

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

>> Beware of Sprint for awhile as they are selling off towers, to
>> lease/rent space elsewhere. Wierd!
>

> Not weird. Probably costs less overall to lease instead of own. In fact,
> Verizon doesn't own any of their own towers that I know of. (Could be
> wrong about that but I'm pretty sure I'm not.)

Actually, when I was in North Dakota in 2003, I know Verizon Wireless
had two of its own towers, because I went up to the tower, got the FCC#,
and looked it up with the FCC. However, since there were two carriers
to service the area, I see no need to work otherwise. However, this may
have changed.

TH