My computer keeps restarting at a specific point..

fachy123

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2004
I have a homemade system with an AMD 2500+, 768 DDR RAM, ATI 9800 Pro, and a A7N8X-Deluxe board. My problem is that my PC restarts right before the welcome screen.

I think it is the power supply. The rails are running very oddly. At the BIOS it shows that they are at:

12v - 12.86v
5v - 4.85v
3v- 3.13v

And my CPU temp is like 59C-62C and it used to originally run at 42C-45C on high load.

I dont know what to do. When I try re-installing Windows XP, right after it loads all the files I see the whole "press enter to continue" screen and then a second or two later, it restarts. It's weird. I have some random generic 550 watt PSU. I was thinking of getting a new one but I want to figure out the problem first. Thankx to anyone who helps. I really appreciate it.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Reboots due to power supply failure usually are sporadic and at random times. I think it's unlikely though not impossible that the PSU would be the cause of your problems.

Oh the other side, the PSU is probably the easiest thing to troubleshoot. Stick another one in there and see if it works.