CD & DVD drives lost

terry

Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
find the hardware device. (Code 41)

I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found both
drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the connections -
data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with XP Home SP 1& 2.

Any suggestions?

Terry

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
find the hardware device. (Code 41)

[[A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens when
Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and
then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the
hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver
might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware
wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System,
and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
troubleshooting wizard.]]
Device Manager Error Codes
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:uUVi9BSPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
> Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
> exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:
>
> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
> find the hardware device. (Code 41)
>
> I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found both
> drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the
> connections - data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with
> XP Home SP 1& 2.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Terry

terry

I had to contact HP to fix the problem. The solution involved modifying the
register. Thanks for your help.

> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
> find the hardware device. (Code 41)
>
> [[A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens
> when
> Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.
>
> If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and
> then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the
> hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.
>
> If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver
> might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add
> Hardware
> wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System,
> and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.
>
> On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start
> the
> troubleshooting wizard.]]
> Device Manager Error Codes
> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:uUVi9BSPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
> Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
>> Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
>> exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:
>>
>> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
>> cannot
>> find the hardware device. (Code 41)
>>
>> I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found both
>> drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the
>> connections - data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with
>> XP Home SP 1& 2.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Terry

Glad you got it fixed and posted back to let us know.

Keep having fun! :)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Oe9u9$TPFHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
> I had to contact HP to fix the problem. The solution involved modifying
> the register. Thanks for your help.

>> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
>> cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
>>
>> [[A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens
>> when
>> Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.
>>
>> If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and
>> then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the
>> hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.
>>
>> If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the
>> driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add
>> Hardware
>> wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System,
>> and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.
>>
>> On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start
>> the
>> troubleshooting wizard.]]
>> Device Manager Error Codes

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:uUVi9BSPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
>> Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
>>> Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
>>> exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:
>>>
>>> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
>>> cannot
>>> find the hardware device. (Code 41)
>>>
>>> I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found
>>> both drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the
>>> connections - data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with
>>> XP Home SP 1& 2.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Terry

Terry,

I guess the fix they suggested is this:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315345

The following registry fix automates Q315345
http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User