CD & DVD drives lost

Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
find the hardware device. (Code 41)

I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found both
drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the connections -
data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with XP Home SP 1& 2.

Any suggestions?

Terry
4 answers Last reply
More about drives lost

    Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
    find the hardware device. (Code 41)

    [[A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens when
    Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.

    If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and
    then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the
    hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.

    If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver
    might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add Hardware
    wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System,
    and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.

    On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start the
    troubleshooting wizard.]]
    Device Manager Error Codes
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uUVi9BSPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
    > exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:
    >
    > Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
    > find the hardware device. (Code 41)
    >
    > I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found both
    > drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the
    > connections - data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with
    > XP Home SP 1& 2.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Terry

    I had to contact HP to fix the problem. The solution involved modifying the
    register. Thanks for your help.

    > Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot
    > find the hardware device. (Code 41)
    >
    > [[A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens
    > when
    > Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.
    >
    > If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and
    > then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the
    > hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.
    >
    > If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the driver
    > might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add
    > Hardware
    > wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System,
    > and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.
    >
    > On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start
    > the
    > troubleshooting wizard.]]
    > Device Manager Error Codes
    > http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:uUVi9BSPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    > Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
    >> Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
    >> exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:
    >>
    >> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
    >> cannot
    >> find the hardware device. (Code 41)
    >>
    >> I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found both
    >> drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the
    >> connections - data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with
    >> XP Home SP 1& 2.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Terry

    Glad you got it fixed and posted back to let us know.

    Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Oe9u9$TPFHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I had to contact HP to fix the problem. The solution involved modifying
    > the register. Thanks for your help.

    >> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
    >> cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)
    >>
    >> [[A driver was loaded but Windows cannot find the device. This happens
    >> when
    >> Windows does not detect a non-Plug and Play device.
    >>
    >> If the device was removed, uninstall the driver, install the device, and
    >> then click Scan for hardware changes to reinstall the driver. If the
    >> hardware was not removed, obtain a new or updated driver for the device.
    >>
    >> If the device is a non-Plug and Play device, a newer version of the
    >> driver might be needed. To install non-Plug and Play devices, use the Add
    >> Hardware
    >> wizard. Click Performance and Maintenance on Control Panel, click System,
    >> and on the Hardware tab, click Add Hardware Wizard.
    >>
    >> On the General Properties tab of the device, click Troubleshoot to start
    >> the
    >> troubleshooting wizard.]]
    >> Device Manager Error Codes

    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/Default.asp?url=/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prjk_dec_lgsc.asp

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:uUVi9BSPFHA.1564@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
    >> Terry <terry@aol.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Neither of my CD and DVD drives are working. Device manager shows an
    >>> exclamation for them. Properties gives the following message:
    >>>
    >>> Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but
    >>> cannot
    >>> find the hardware device. (Code 41)
    >>>
    >>> I uninstalled both drivers and did a cold start. The computer found
    >>> both drives again, but still has the same result. I've checked the
    >>> connections - data and power for both. I've got a HP Pavilion 7965 with
    >>> XP Home SP 1& 2.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Terry

    Terry,

    I guess the fix they suggested is this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315345

    The following registry fix automates Q315345
    http://www.aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User