Any VPN 'manager' installed on new Compaqs?

I'm having a difficult time getting the corporate VPN client (Nortel VPN and
Fiberlink Global Remote) to work with my Compaq. It appears to install OK,
but when I try to connect, it starts to connect, then, bang! It reboots the
computer. I didn't know you could get a PC to reboot that fast or
consistently.

The corporate support folks talk about some VPN manager installed on some
Compaq's. He also talks about a VPN service in WinXP. Is this active or even
available in the Home edition supplied by Compaq? The documentation provided
for 'advanced' topics is pretty thin...

Thanks!
Norman
3 answers Last reply
More about manager installed compaqs

    n.heyen wrote:
    > I'm having a difficult time getting the corporate VPN client (Nortel
    > VPN and Fiberlink Global Remote) to work with my Compaq. It appears
    > to install OK, but when I try to connect, it starts to connect, then,
    > bang! It reboots the computer. I didn't know you could get a PC to
    > reboot that fast or consistently.
    >
    > The corporate support folks talk about some VPN manager installed on
    > some Compaq's. He also talks about a VPN service in WinXP. Is this
    > active or even available in the Home edition supplied by Compaq? The
    > documentation provided for 'advanced' topics is pretty thin...
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Norman

    You should turn off the automatic restart on error, if that is what is
    happening. Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, Error reporting, the
    box Automatically restart on error, uncheck it. See what the error
    actually reports, it could be correctable. You should check with the
    vendor site - they might have this already diagnosed. I think, and
    others with correct me if I am wrong, but third-party clients typically
    do not need Windows Services to function. Since the client software
    does install hooks to the OS, it is important to disable anti-virus
    software when installing applications of this kind since the actions
    look like viral activity to some AV applications.

    Also, since this is a new computer, run msconfig from the run command
    and verify that the startup application it shows are really necessary.
    It is possible that one of these is interfering with the VPN client.
    Also, check with your ISP, they might be blocking ports used by the
    client. Some do on home accounts. XP Home does not come with VPN afik
    since it is not supposed to be, in Bill's mind, used for business
    activities.

    > n.heyen wrote:
    > > I'm having a difficult time getting the corporate VPN client (Nortel
    > > VPN and Fiberlink Global Remote) to work with my Compaq. It appears
    > > to install OK, but when I try to connect, it starts to connect, then,
    > > bang! It reboots the computer. I didn't know you could get a PC to
    > > reboot that fast or consistently.
    > >
    > > The corporate support folks talk about some VPN manager installed on
    > > some Compaq's. He also talks about a VPN service in WinXP. Is this
    > > active or even available in the Home edition supplied by Compaq? The
    > > documentation provided for 'advanced' topics is pretty thin...
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > > Norman
    >
    > You should turn off the automatic restart on error, if that is what is
    > happening. Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, Error reporting, the
    > box Automatically restart on error, uncheck it. See what the error
    > actually reports, it could be correctable. You should check with the
    > vendor site - they might have this already diagnosed. I think, and
    > others with correct me if I am wrong, but third-party clients typically
    > do not need Windows Services to function. Since the client software
    > does install hooks to the OS, it is important to disable anti-virus
    > software when installing applications of this kind since the actions
    > look like viral activity to some AV applications.
    >
    > Also, since this is a new computer, run msconfig from the run command
    > and verify that the startup application it shows are really necessary.
    > It is possible that one of these is interfering with the VPN client.
    > Also, check with your ISP, they might be blocking ports used by the
    > client. Some do on home accounts. XP Home does not come with VPN afik
    > since it is not supposed to be, in Bill's mind, used for business
    > activities.

    Good advice, not correct, but good advice. Who would have thought my router
    would do this? Connected directly to the cable modem and no problems. Put
    the Netgear back in the picture and bang! reboots everytime.

    go figure.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Norman

    n.heyen wrote:
    >> n.heyen wrote:
    >>> I'm having a difficult time getting the corporate VPN client (Nortel
    >>> VPN and Fiberlink Global Remote) to work with my Compaq. It appears
    >>> to install OK, but when I try to connect, it starts to connect,
    >>> then, bang! It reboots the computer. I didn't know you could get a
    >>> PC to reboot that fast or consistently.
    >>>
    >>> The corporate support folks talk about some VPN manager installed on
    >>> some Compaq's. He also talks about a VPN service in WinXP. Is this
    >>> active or even available in the Home edition supplied by Compaq? The
    >>> documentation provided for 'advanced' topics is pretty thin...
    >>>
    >>> Thanks!
    >>> Norman
    >>
    >> You should turn off the automatic restart on error, if that is what
    >> is happening. Control Panel, System, Advanced Tab, Error reporting,
    >> the box Automatically restart on error, uncheck it. See what the
    >> error actually reports, it could be correctable. You should check
    >> with the vendor site - they might have this already diagnosed. I
    >> think, and others with correct me if I am wrong, but third-party
    >> clients typically do not need Windows Services to function. Since
    >> the client software does install hooks to the OS, it is important to
    >> disable anti-virus software when installing applications of this
    >> kind since the actions look like viral activity to some AV
    >> applications.
    >>
    >> Also, since this is a new computer, run msconfig from the run command
    >> and verify that the startup application it shows are really
    >> necessary. It is possible that one of these is interfering with the
    >> VPN client. Also, check with your ISP, they might be blocking ports
    >> used by the client. Some do on home accounts. XP Home does not
    >> come with VPN afik since it is not supposed to be, in Bill's mind,
    >> used for business activities.

    > Good advice, not correct, but good advice. Who would have thought my
    > router would do this? Connected directly to the cable modem and no
    > problems. Put the Netgear back in the picture and bang! reboots
    > everytime.
    >
    > go figure.
    >
    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > Norman

    Your router has toggles for some of the common Pass Throughs (tunnels).
    Which one(s) are needed by your VPN client? It's usually IPSec.

    In any event, simply having a router without the proper tunneling should
    just make the client offer a message, not kill the machine. Restarts
    without error are often bad RAM or other hardware related. Google
    memtest86 and run it in full diagnostic mode (it takes some time). You
    might also check with NetGear for a router firmware update. You might
    also find a relevant error or warning in the Event Viewer logs.

Compaq Connection VPN Computers