What triggers a demand to re-activate XP?

Doing some ordinary maintenance on my system yesterday, I deleted my NIC
from the device manager and rebooted so it would be found again and get
re-installed.

On reboot, XP said that due to major changes in my system's config, I was
going to have to re-activate Windows.

Now, I've done this before with no such effect, so what gives this time?

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com

Contact Microsoft directly and ask them:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&c1=509&gprid=3221

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

In news:#AfxBMhPFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
<cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:

> Contact Microsoft directly and ask them:

Ummm... What's the "V" in MVP stand for anyway?

[By the way, your news client appears to be busted since it placed the entire
content of my post ->after your signature]

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com

Microsoft programs and runs the activation servers.
My newsreader is fine as I custom format replies.

How long did it take to reactivate....10 seconds or less?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Bert Hyman" wrote:

| Ummm... What's the "V" in MVP stand for anyway?
|
| [By the way, your news client appears to be busted since it placed the entire
| content of my post ->after your signature]
|
| --
| Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
Page shows how things are kept track of for Activation.

"Bert Hyman" <bert@iphouse.com> wrote in message
> Doing some ordinary maintenance on my system yesterday, I deleted my NIC
> from the device manager and rebooted so it would be found again and get
> re-installed.
>
> On reboot, XP said that due to major changes in my system's config, I was
> going to have to re-activate Windows.
>
> Now, I've done this before with no such effect, so what gives this time?
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com

Bert Hyman <bert@iphouse.com> wrote:

>Doing some ordinary maintenance on my system yesterday, I deleted my NIC
>from the device manager and rebooted so it would be found again and get
>re-installed.
>
>On reboot, XP said that due to major changes in my system's config, I was
>going to have to re-activate Windows.
>
>Now, I've done this before with no such effect, so what gives this time?

It is the *cumulative* total of changes in the hardware components
monitored by the Activation process that triggers the need to
reactivate Windows.

Did your maintenance include replacing the NIC with a different one?
That could have been the "straw that broke the camels back" in terms
of triggering the reactivation process.

See the artical on activation in Windows XP by the late Alex Nichol
MVP at http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

> In news:#AfxBMhPFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
> <cnfrisch@nospamgmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Contact Microsoft directly and ask them:
>
> Ummm... What's the "V" in MVP stand for anyway?
>
> [By the way, your news client appears to be busted since it placed the
> entire
> content of my post ->after your signature]
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN bert@iphouse.com

Bert,

The MVP designation is part of a Microsoft recognition award for a "Most
Valuable Professional" see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Also Carey's newsreader is fine - the default settings on Outlook Express
are to effectively "top post" (with the original post appearing after the
signature)

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

ron.martell@gmail.com (Ron Martell) wrote in

> Bert Hyman <bert@iphouse.com> wrote:
>
>>Doing some ordinary maintenance on my system yesterday, I deleted
>>my NIC from the device manager and rebooted so it would be found
>>again and get re-installed.
>>
>>On reboot, XP said that due to major changes in my system's config,
>>I was going to have to re-activate Windows.
>>
>>Now, I've done this before with no such effect, so what gives this
>>time?
>

> It is the *cumulative* total of changes in the hardware components
> monitored by the Activation process that triggers the need to
> reactivate Windows.
>
> Did your maintenance include replacing the NIC with a different
> one? That could have been the "straw that broke the camels back" in
> terms of triggering the reactivation process.

No changes to the hardware at all.

I simply deleted the NIC in device manager and rebooted to force a
"re-install".

> See the artical on activation in Windows XP by the late Alex Nichol
> MVP at http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Thanks.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com