Do Not Call List

Last response: in Network Providers
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 2:54:24 AM

As Verizon Wireless users, are we safe from the directory being put
together for cell phone numbers? Or should we play it safe and have our
cell phone numbers added to the federal Do Not Call List?

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc

More about : call list

January 8, 2005 2:54:25 AM

Verizon wouldn't hesitate to make money off their subscriber number
database. I wonder if there's anything in the original contract I signed
about privacy and the cell numbers I lease?

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> As Verizon Wireless users, are we safe from the directory being put
> together for cell phone numbers? Or should we play it safe and have our
> cell phone numbers added to the federal Do Not Call List?
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> http://www.McCune.cc
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 2:54:25 AM

http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

> Thanks for the link. It does not list Verizon as a participant - I
had
> thought it wasn't, but did not recall for sure.
>
> > Besides, telemarketers can't call cell phones anyway!
>
> If the numbers were actually readily available, I don't see why they
> couldn't.
>
> > Now, if you add your number to the Do Not Call List, you'll be on a
list
> > ripe for picking by politicians, etc., to call your cell phone.
>
> I admit that this is the sort of concern I have, and why I would not
want
> to have my number on the list if it was not necessary. However, I
can
> honestly say that since I placed my home phone number on New York
State's
> Do Not Call list (which has since been automatically added to the
newer
> federal Do Not Call list), there has been a great reduction in such
calls.

> --
> Tom McCune
> http://www.McCune.cc

We put our cell numbers on the do not call list. We have yet to
receive any telemarketing or pollster calls. The worst thing we run
into occasionally is the honest wrong number.
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 3:13:49 AM

"Tom McCune" <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote in message
> As Verizon Wireless users, are we safe from the directory being put
> together for cell phone numbers? Or should we play it safe and have our
> cell phone numbers added to the federal Do Not Call List?
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> http://www.McCune.cc

Costs nothing, do it!

Ike
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 3:31:00 AM

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:54:24 GMT, Tom McCune <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc>
wrote:
>As Verizon Wireless users, are we safe from the directory being put
>together for cell phone numbers? Or should we play it safe and have our
>cell phone numbers added to the federal Do Not Call List?

It's a myth! See http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp
Besides, telemarketers can't call cell phones anyway!

Now, if you add your number to the Do Not Call List, you'll be on a list
ripe for picking by politicians, etc., to call your cell phone.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 3:55:34 AM

Bob Scheurle <njtbob@X-verizon-X.net> wrote in

> It's a myth! See http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

Thanks for the link. It does not list Verizon as a participant - I had
thought it wasn't, but did not recall for sure.

> Besides, telemarketers can't call cell phones anyway!

If the numbers were actually readily available, I don't see why they
couldn't.

> Now, if you add your number to the Do Not Call List, you'll be on a list
> ripe for picking by politicians, etc., to call your cell phone.

I admit that this is the sort of concern I have, and why I would not want
to have my number on the list if it was not necessary. However, I can
honestly say that since I placed my home phone number on New York State's
Do Not Call list (which has since been automatically added to the newer
federal Do Not Call list), there has been a great reduction in such calls.

--
Tom McCune
http://www.McCune.cc
January 8, 2005 4:25:44 PM

> If the numbers were actually readily available, I don't see why they
> couldn't.

Because telemarketers are currently prohibited calling if charges are
incurred by the person called.

> > Now, if you add your number to the Do Not Call List, you'll be on a list
> > ripe for picking by politicians, etc., to call your cell phone.
>
> I admit that this is the sort of concern I have, and why I would not want
> to have my number on the list if it was not necessary. However, I can
> honestly say that since I placed my home phone number on New York State's
> Do Not Call list (which has since been automatically added to the newer
> federal Do Not Call list), there has been a great reduction in such calls.
>
> --
> Tom McCune
> http://www.McCune.cc
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 8, 2005 11:53:58 PM

In article <acGDd.9920$Xs6.8969@twister.nyroc.rr.com>,
Tom McCune <news1@DELETE_THISmccune.cc> wrote:

> > Besides, telemarketers can't call cell phones anyway!
>
> If the numbers were actually readily available, I don't see why they
> couldn't.

They physically can, but they are legally prohibited from doing it.

January 9, 2005 3:33:11 PM

Tom McCune wrote:
> As Verizon Wireless users, are we safe from the directory being put
> together for cell phone numbers? Or should we play it safe and have our
> cell phone numbers added to the federal Do Not Call List?

This is taken directly from the Customer Agreement:

Directories And Your Privacy

Except as follows, we won't share personal information about you with
others without your permission. We have a duty under federal law to
protect the confidentiality of information about the quantity, technical
configuration, type, destination, and amount of your use of our service,
together with similar information on your bills.

(This doesn't include your name, address, and wireless number. Unless
you arrange otherwise with us and pay any required fee, we may list them
in a public directory. We aren't responsible for mistakes in the
listings.)

We can, however, share and use this information as required by law, by
legal process, by exigent circumstances, or to protect ourselves. We can
also use this information to communicate with you about goods and
services related to the products and services you already buy from us,
and we can share it with our affiliates when related to goods and
services you already buy from both us and our affiliates. You can call
us any time if you do not wish us to use this information to communicate
about such other goods and services with you or you do not wish us to
share this information with our affiliates. In addition, you've
authorized us to investigate your credit history at any time and to
share credit information about you with credit reporting agencies. If
you ask, we'll tell you the name and address of any credit agency that
gives us a credit report about you.

From the customer agreement, it is clear that we can not count on
Verizon to protect our wireless phone numbers.

Tom
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
January 9, 2005 3:33:12 PM

Tom wrote:
> Tom McCune wrote:
>> As Verizon Wireless users, are we safe from the directory being put
>> together for cell phone numbers? Or should we play it safe and have
>> our cell phone numbers added to the federal Do Not Call List?

[snip]

> From the customer agreement, it is clear that we can not count on
> Verizon to protect our wireless phone numbers.

I believe VZW was the only major carrier who refused to participate
in the cellular "411" directory.

-Quick
!