Sharing WLAN internet connection for LAN - please advise

Last response: in Wireless Networking
August 17, 2005 3:39:23 PM

Hi

What is the best way to share WLAN internet connection for small LAN
network?

My ISP is providing signal through WLAN link (I have to use external
directional antenna) and I want to share this internet connection among
my 2 desktops.
Initally I thought to use D-Link router (like DI-624), connect external
antenna instead of original one (there is R-SMA connector) and just
wire my desktops using built-in switch and forgot about WAN port.

But looking at this wireless router emulator, it looks that is not
possible.
http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di624/h_wizard.html

It routes only between WAN port and/or LAN/WLAN.

Are my suspicions right? If yes, what would be the best way to share my
WLAN connection to my LAN?

The option that comes to my mind is to use Windows ICS on WLAN card and
connect other computer via Ethernet cards/ UTP crossed-cable, but then
first computer (with WLAN card) must be switched on all the time.

Please advise what to do?

Best regards
Roman
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 8:32:10 AM

OK, so maybe I'll ask another way.
Can Linksys router WRT54G (with Freeman software) handle that?
BR/R.
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 9:37:19 AM

Romi,

Is your wifi link connected directly to your PC now? Or is there
another piece of equipment in the way?

Chris
http://www.nexauth.com
August 22, 2005 10:59:19 AM

RF Link goes directly from WISP provider (sector antenna) to me
(through directional Yagi antenna). I don't have any equipment yet, as
I want to plan it before rathen then afterwards :)
I'm also considering connecting an AP (client or brigde mode) and then
router or hub depending on the model. But what would be the best?
BR/Romi
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:05:56 AM

I'd go with an bridge in client mode, serving NAT out the wired side.
If you can't do that, a workgroup bridge would suffice.

I'd also connect a NAT router behind that, allowing you to expand to
more than the 2 computers you want along down the line. It's
future-proofing your network.

Good luck!
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 12:32:43 PM

On 17 Aug 2005 11:39:23 -0700, "romi" <agnik2@interia.pl> wrote:

>What is the best way to share WLAN internet connection for small LAN
>network?
>
>My ISP is providing signal through WLAN link (I have to use external
>directional antenna) and I want to share this internet connection among
>my 2 desktops.

The method depends on how your ISP sets up the system. If the WISP
uses a simple bridge and delivers exactly one IP address you will need
to add a router with NAT. If the ISP can deliver more than one IP
address, then all you need is a hub or switch. My guess(tm) is one IP
address, which is designed to handle one computer.

>Initally I thought to use D-Link router (like DI-624), connect external
>antenna instead of original one (there is R-SMA connector) and just
>wire my desktops using built-in switch and forgot about WAN port.

That will work *ONLY* if the WISP supplies more than one IP address.
It will convert the router into an access point, which ignores the
bridge section. You also might need to disable the DHCP server.
However, if your WISP delivers only one IP address, then you'll need
the router to do NAT and an access point will not work.

>But looking at this wireless router emulator, it looks that is not
>possible.
>http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di624/h_wizard.html
>
>It routes only between WAN port and/or LAN/WLAN.

Correct. A wireless router is nothing more than a common ethernet
router, with an access point added to one of the LAN ethernet ports.
Since *ALL* such wireless is bridging, were bridging knows absolutely
nothing about IP routeing, the wireless part acts exactly like another
port on the LAN ethernet switch.

>Are my suspicions right? If yes, what would be the best way to share my
>WLAN connection to my LAN?

If the WISP supplies more than one IP address, then a simple access
point will work. Let the WISP deal with the IP's.

If the WISP supplies only one IP address, then you'll need a complete
wireless router. Attach the WAN side to the WISP radio. The LAN
side goes to your computers with NAT used to deliver multiple IP
addresses. If wireless connectivity is desireable, then verify that
there's no duplication or overlap of frequencies.

>The option that comes to my mind is to use Windows ICS on WLAN card and
>connect other computer via Ethernet cards/ UTP crossed-cable, but then
>first computer (with WLAN card) must be switched on all the time.

I don't like ICS because it requires leaving the computer turned on to
operate.

>Please advise what to do?
>
>Best regards
>Roman