Sign in with
Your question

multiple applic. installation issues

Last response: in Windows XP
August 12, 2005 1:20:20 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5105-S501 running Win XP SP2, 512 MB Ram, 37 GB HD w/6GB free. I installed Adobe Acrobat Professional 6.0 and am unable to run the Distiller - getting the message "no timers available". Acrobat will not save my preferences. I installed Macromedia Breeze Presenter and am getting the message "Macromedia Breeze Presenter is unable to initialize itself. The install may not have completed successfully. Please close Powerpoint and rerun the Macromedia Breeze Presenter program."
These are two distinctly separate programs, so I'm wondering if the issue is system related. A colleague has the exact same computer and has successfully installed both apps.
Any suggestions?
August 12, 2005 2:30:20 PM

Stupid question, but do you have admin rights with your user account?

I never had a problem getting distiller to work locally with the basic install. Did you do a custom install or a full install? If you did a custom, you may need to make sure you have everything selected to get Distiller to work properly.

Distiller should just be a local printer if you're installing to your local laptop - as opposed to a service if installing on your server with folders being watched.
August 12, 2005 3:05:13 PM

Thanks. Yes, I have admin rights with the user account. I did a full install on the laptop, not a server. Had Acrobat 5.0 standard previously with no problem. Have now uninstalled and reinstalled several times to no avail. Also defragged the HD just in case that would help. It didn't.
Related resources
August 12, 2005 3:19:22 PM

Uninstall Adobe, delete the "C:\Program Files\Adobe" folder, restart your computer, then try installing Adobe Acrobat Pro.

Adobe has a problem with it's uninstalls. The packaging of their software isn't exactly neat. It's a good install, but if you have 2 adobe products installed, like acrobat and reader, and uninstall Reader, acrobat will no longer work.

Even though acrobat installs reader, an update screws it up. I had this problem when people had Acrobat on their PC. We were uninstalling reader (in which case they didn't have it) but the readre uninstall pulled out acrobat.

Basically, delete the folder after you uninstall, restart, do your install.
August 16, 2005 1:28:10 PM

Well, that didn't work, but interestingly, in response to your original response I created a new administrator account and logged in under that. I was able to successfully run both Acrobat & Breeze. Back to my original administrator account - can't run them. Somehow the acct. must be corrupt. What's the best way to fix this now? I've got a ton of files under my original account - transferring or sharing them to the new admin acct seems overwhelming.
thanks
August 16, 2005 3:22:04 PM

Disable simple file sharing, change ownership.

Your original admin account probably lost ownership somehow which caused the problem.

Right click the admin's directory, properties, security, advanced and check out the ownership rights.
!