svc host in 3 locations?

hello,

i looked online and i am getting conflicting info about svc host
i understand that the one under system 32 folder is legit

but i have it in two other places C:\I386 and another location

i have XP service pack 1. I have ran Adelphias virus and spyware etc. along
with stinger all comes up clean

please advise on what to do

thanks

lear
4 answers Last reply
More about host locations

    "Lear" wrote:

    > hello,
    >
    > i looked online and i am getting conflicting info about svc host
    > i understand that the one under system 32 folder is legit
    >
    > but i have it in two other places C:\I386 and another location
    >
    > i have XP service pack 1. I have ran Adelphias virus and spyware etc. along
    > with stinger all comes up clean
    >
    > please advise on what to do
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > lear

    The C:\I386 folder is a backup of your operating system this would be normal
    to have svc host there.

    A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314056

    Description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/svchost.htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Lear" wrote:

    | hello,
    |
    | i looked online and i am getting conflicting info about svc host
    | i understand that the one under system 32 folder is legit
    |
    | but i have it in two other places C:\I386 and another location
    |
    | i have XP service pack 1. I have ran Adelphias virus and spyware etc. along
    | with stinger all comes up clean
    |
    | please advise on what to do
    |
    | thanks
    |
    | lear

    svchost.exe

    C:\WINDOWS\system32 is a legit location.

    C:\I386 is a legit location.

    What's your third location? Is this a secret?

    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache is a legit location.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:24DA583A-27E5-4A93-9869-EC2D3C88551C@microsoft.com,
    Lear <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > hello,
    >
    > i looked online and i am getting conflicting info about svc host
    > i understand that the one under system 32 folder is legit
    >
    > but i have it in two other places C:\I386 and another location
    >
    > i have XP service pack 1. I have ran Adelphias virus and spyware etc.
    > along with stinger all comes up clean
    >
    > please advise on what to do
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > lear

    I currently have seven svchost,exe processes running. This more than
    normal but of no concern.
    For further information about Process Explorer see here:

    http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

    To ascertain which service is causing the
    problem select the svchost producing the high CPU usage, right click,
    select Properties, Services. Note there are the full names and some
    explanation of what each service does.

    You will find further information on Services here:

    To trace the particular Service involved you need to turn off each
    service in turn and then restore it noting what effect it has on CPU
    usage. However, you need to take care and watch what other Services are
    dependent on that service. When you click on the Dependencies tab allow
    it a little time to display the information.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    FCA

    Using invalid email address

    Stourport, Worcs, England
    Enquire, plan and execute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please tell the newsgroup how any
    suggested solution worked for you.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    You can use Process Explorer instead of Task Manger if the activity of
    one svchost.exe process gives cause for concern.

    "Lear" <Lear@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >
    > i looked online and i am getting conflicting info about svc host
    > i understand that the one under system 32 folder is legit
    >
    > but i have it in two other places C:\I386 and another location
    >
    > i have XP service pack 1. I have ran Adelphias virus and spyware etc.
    > along
    > with stinger all comes up clean
    >
    > please advise on what to do
    >
    > thanks