Desktop blinks, then BLUE

XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8200. Desktop wallpaper won't hold a theme.
Even with no programs or the browser open, the screen blinks a few times and
the wallpaper changes to blue. The icons/shortcuts are still there and
functional, but you have to re-set the theme unless you don't mind solid
blue. Even after changing to a theme it doesn't take long before it
blinks...then blue. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop blinks blue

    Guess you're on your own, buddy. Hard to believe your question has totally
    stumped even the usually responsive minds of the MVP's at Microsoft.

    "ralljtall" wrote:

    > XP Home on a Dell Dimension 8200. Desktop wallpaper won't hold a theme.
    > Even with no programs or the browser open, the screen blinks a few times and
    > the wallpaper changes to blue. The icons/shortcuts are still there and
    > functional, but you have to re-set the theme unless you don't mind solid
    > blue. Even after changing to a theme it doesn't take long before it
    > blinks...then blue. Any suggestions gratefully accepted.

    I'm having the same problem on a HP Compaq NX9010 with Windows XP. It
    happened after having problems with a virus identified as Surfsidekick
    2. It installed a shinny red desktop warning me I had a virus and
    recommending to use their software to remove it after paying.

    After re-installing Windows XP I got rid of the annoying red desktop
    but now all I get is the blue desktop. When I try to install a new
    desktop theme it shows a white screen and goes back to the blue one.
    Also, the red button in the mouse to get into the screen properties
    doesn't work.

    I don't know what to do now. Please help.

    --
    Andres Manuel

Desktops Wallpaper Windows XP