le04

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
this only happens when i play games. the game itself will lag, occasionly freeze-black screen- then right back into the game where i was. or freeze and the game will crash back to the desk top. on rare occasion the computer will restart.

the funny thing is i bought this computer 4 months ago and i only started having problems about 1.5 months ago. orginally i thought it was the temp as it can get up to 70 c max (only when gaming) using real temp. but my dad- who has been building comps for years- says that thats fine.

like i said before, it only happens when i play games. such as DOW 2, SWTOR, skyrim.

my specs are:
4 gig ram
intel core i5-2500k
amd radeon HD 6900
windows 7-32 bit.
drivers are updated.

well, with things like skyrim that run on dx9, vram has to get duplicated in RAM. if you got 2gb vram on the gpu it will take up that much in ram leaving only 2 gb leftover for the game process to use. it used to be not a problem because under dx9 and 32bit games were limited to 2gb ram anyway, but now skyrim can use full 4gb of ram, so having 32 bit system might be crippling your performance

you say you bought the computer 4 months ago, skyrim wasn't out 4 months ago, same with SWTOR. So did DOW 2 have this issue back 4 month ago or did it only present now?

Check your vents/fans for dust, too much of it is not good.

make sure you have 12.1 amd drivers, I hear they are much better.

your behavior seems like GPU problem

chanuka007

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012

dude this happens to me to im playing skyrim and i get outside all of the sudden it closes it doesnt crash because it usually says stuff when it crashes so i dont really understand. Is there a update skyrim? can someone help me?

le04

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2012
no but my computer only started having problems around early december or late november. i didnt have problems with DOW 2 until it started with skyrim as well. the fans are fine i checked them.
will try the 12.1 supposed to my 11.12.
will give results later today. got work...
EDIT: first problem i notice while installing that driver is that the desktop doesnt take up over the screen; ive got a good inch of a black frame surrounding my desktop now. screen resolution doesnt work.
ignore that... just uninstalled all my drivers and installed the 12.1 going to take a couple of days before i actually know if its ok or not.