EQ/EQ2/WoW and Linux

A while back I heard that Transgaming's Cedega software supports running
EQ under linux. As a bit of a linux fan, I've kept tabs on this...after
all one of the reasons I keep windows on my primary PCs instead of going
pure Linux & OSX is for the games.

Not surprisingly EQ2, according to reports, doesn't run playably in this
configuration. What -is- surprising is that WoW *does*, and apparently
runs quite well.

And, while EQ2 is, by most accounts the graphically superior title, that
doesn't account for all... many of the years graphics blockbusters are
also supported... e.g. Doom3, and Half-Life2.

Coupled with Blizzards simultaneous and proper support of the OSX,
something SOE only did late and half-assed with EQ1, and so far haven't
even attempted with EQ2... it really makes we wonder just what SOE has
done with (to?) their code.
35 answers Last reply
More about linux

    On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:16:50 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >A while back I heard that Transgaming's Cedega software supports running
    >EQ under linux. As a bit of a linux fan, I've kept tabs on this...after
    >all one of the reasons I keep windows on my primary PCs instead of going
    >pure Linux & OSX is for the games.
    >
    >Not surprisingly EQ2, according to reports, doesn't run playably in this
    >configuration. What -is- surprising is that WoW *does*, and apparently
    >runs quite well.
    >
    >And, while EQ2 is, by most accounts the graphically superior title, that
    >doesn't account for all... many of the years graphics blockbusters are
    >also supported... e.g. Doom3, and Half-Life2.
    >
    >Coupled with Blizzards simultaneous and proper support of the OSX,
    >something SOE only did late and half-assed with EQ1, and so far haven't
    >even attempted with EQ2... it really makes we wonder just what SOE has
    >done with (to?) their code.

    Did you really expect something else from SOE?
    I wonder when they will wake up,now they have for the 1st time a
    real competetor,probably it will be too late.

    Meldur (waiting for european release of WoW)

    Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
    > On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:16:50 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

    >>A while back I heard that Transgaming's Cedega software supports running
    >>EQ under linux. As a bit of a linux fan, I've kept tabs on this...after
    >>all one of the reasons I keep windows on my primary PCs instead of going
    >>pure Linux & OSX is for the games.
    >>
    >>Not surprisingly EQ2, according to reports, doesn't run playably in this
    >>configuration. What -is- surprising is that WoW *does*, and apparently
    >>runs quite well.
    >>
    >>And, while EQ2 is, by most accounts the graphically superior title, that
    >>doesn't account for all... many of the years graphics blockbusters are
    >>also supported... e.g. Doom3, and Half-Life2.
    >>
    >>Coupled with Blizzards simultaneous and proper support of the OSX,
    >>something SOE only did late and half-assed with EQ1, and so far haven't
    >>even attempted with EQ2... it really makes we wonder just what SOE has
    >>done with (to?) their code.

    > Did you really expect something else from SOE?
    > I wonder when they will wake up,now they have for the 1st time a
    > real competetor,probably it will be too late.

    Oh come on. It's not always SoE's fault. I doubt WoW utilizes DX9. So
    unless Transgaming programs a dx9 emulation layer EQ2 simply won't work.
    Since it is running some of the newer games they even might have a dx9
    port. But probably it isn't the full dx9 implementation. Add to this
    that they have to rely on OpenGL to actually perform the gfx operations
    the performance is lower than what you would get under windows.

    Apparently this is a non issue with WoW but EQ2 would be a chore to play
    under Linux I guess.

    Hagen

    Hagen Sienhold wrote:
    > Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:16:50 GMT, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>A while back I heard that Transgaming's Cedega software supports running
    >>>EQ under linux. As a bit of a linux fan, I've kept tabs on this...after
    >>>all one of the reasons I keep windows on my primary PCs instead of going
    >>>pure Linux & OSX is for the games.
    >>>
    >>>Not surprisingly EQ2, according to reports, doesn't run playably in this
    >>>configuration. What -is- surprising is that WoW *does*, and apparently
    >>>runs quite well.
    >>>
    >>>And, while EQ2 is, by most accounts the graphically superior title, that
    >>>doesn't account for all... many of the years graphics blockbusters are
    >>>also supported... e.g. Doom3, and Half-Life2.
    >>>
    >>>Coupled with Blizzards simultaneous and proper support of the OSX,
    >>>something SOE only did late and half-assed with EQ1, and so far haven't
    >>>even attempted with EQ2... it really makes we wonder just what SOE has
    >>>done with (to?) their code.
    >

    >>Did you really expect something else from SOE?
    >>I wonder when they will wake up,now they have for the 1st time a
    >>real competetor,probably it will be too late.
    >

    > Oh come on. It's not always SoE's fault. I doubt WoW utilizes DX9. So
    > unless Transgaming programs a dx9 emulation layer EQ2 simply won't work.
    > Since it is running some of the newer games they even might have a dx9
    > port. But probably it isn't the full dx9 implementation. Add to this
    > that they have to rely on OpenGL to actually perform the gfx operations
    > the performance is lower than what you would get under windows.
    >
    > Apparently this is a non issue with WoW but EQ2 would be a chore to play
    > under Linux I guess.
    >

    > Hagen

    It's interesting to me to find this discussion here tonight. Some time
    ago, maybe about a year ago now, I ran Linux for a full year without
    Windows on my machine at all. I was a Transgaming subscriber for that
    entire time too and found I could enjoy many games I liked (though not
    all) in Linux. Cedega does in fact provide translation from DX9 calls to
    their OpenGL equivalents, although I do know at this time how complete
    the implementation is. I do know though that work on this had already
    begun more than a year ago, so my presumption would be that a great deal
    of the DX9 API is covered with Cedega at this point. Sometimes the
    issues with games running with WineX in the past and Cedega now are not
    actually DirectX related, such as with copy protection schemes on CDs
    and DVDs, Windows system calls, etc. So a lot of times individual games
    require some work to get running even if the DX9 support they call for
    is in place. I have no idea what the issues are with running EQII in
    Linux with Cedega are but having noticed its popularity in the
    Transgaming games database among paying subscribers, my guess is they
    are working now to address them and will have the game running in the
    future.

    Transgaming has come a long way in the past year with MMORPG support. I
    notice that now the following titles are all working in Linux with Cedega:

    EverQuest
    Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft
    Star Wars Galaxies
    Anarchy Online

    I think there may be one or two more such as Ultima Online that work as
    well. Actually, EverQuest II is the only major MMORPG they do not having
    working in Linux at this time as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, I
    don't think Planetside works with Cedega either. It would not surprise
    me to see them support Guildwars when it ships as I think that is going
    to be a popular title with subscribers, who through their monthly votes,
    have a great deal of influence over what gets priority in the ongoing
    development of Cedega.

    In my own case, I was particularly pleased to note that a good number of
    other games I own also work now in Linux including Morrowind and both of
    its expansions, NWN (which I think has a Linux client now anyway),
    Battlefield 1942, Call of Duty, and a good number of other shooters I'd
    like to get around to one of these days.

    Unreal Tournament 2003 had an excellent Linux client right in the retail
    box. I never got the next one so I don't know if they did a Linux client
    for that or not. Doom 3 also has a native Linux client now too as I
    understand it, although I think Cedega supports it too. Quake III for
    those still playing it has had a Linux client for years and its funny to
    see that many people still play that game. As noted above, the new Half
    Life 2 and Counter-Strike Source work with Cedega as well.

    In my experience, with adequate system memory (I had a gig when I was
    running Linux) the games I ran worked as well as they did in Windows as
    far as performance went. I never went so far as to bother with measuring
    frame rates, etc. But at least in general terms, I never found
    performance to be a problem playing games with Cedega. I'm sure that the
    conversion of DX9 calls to OpenGL calls must add some overhead but my
    sense is that on modern systems it doesn't add enough to be an issue
    most of the time at least. I do think that with today's games you
    probably would not want to run with less than a gig of memory minumum to
    play games in Linux and for the likes of WoW and especially EQ2 if and
    when it works, you'd probably want at least 1.5 gigs if not 2 gigs of RAM.

    In any case, if I do Linux again for my desktop I will leave a sizeable
    windows partition with XP on it for gaming. Cedega is a good thing that
    provides a lot of convenience in not having to leave Linux and boot
    winders to play many games but it does not work with everything and
    never has. So it's best to have a windows install with dual booting
    setup for those times when you want to play something Cedega does not
    support. In particular, for any MMORPG user this is really a must in my
    opinion because it is always possible that a game patch can break Cedega
    support of the game somehow, rendering it unplayable until they get
    around to fixing it. And that could sometimes take days or even weeks.

    I've just recently done some homework to evaluate what's happening with
    the Linux desktop from a home users perspective in the year I've been
    away and it appears to me that it's continuing to evolve nicely. I
    started out with RedHat when I ran Linux, soon switched to SuSE and
    ultimately wound up settling on Mandrake Linux on my home system. The
    reasons for that progression are not really worth recounting except
    perhaps to say that I was looking for the most polished desktop I could
    get then for home that worked best with Transgaming's WineX for my gaming.

    Today it seems to me like Xandros 3 Deluxe may just be the best option
    for a home user moving from Windows. If not the best option, it
    certainly is a very good one with its inclusion of Codeweavers
    Crossover-Office for people who still need Word, Excel, etc. and would
    like all the windows browser plugins for multimedia that they are used
    to, to work in Linux. Xandros has more than that going for it with an
    excellent installation process, Debian GNU Linux base and therefore
    excellent package updating and installation capability, a very nice GUI
    for system management tasks and their own File Manager which is
    something like Windows Explorer in the way it works and can burn CDs as
    well. However, unlike many Linux distributions this one will cost you to
    purchase as you may already know. At around 80 bucks US it looks like a
    good deal to me but on the other hand you could still get Mandrake
    (although without Crossover-Office) for free. I'm not sure if SUSE is
    free now that Novell owns them. I think the Personal Edition or whatever
    they have named that may be. RedHat's Fedora is free but I wouldn't
    recommend it to a gamer as they have historically done patches to the
    Linux Kernel that were problematic for WineX, although I should say I do
    not know if that remains a problem today.

    Personally, now that I have left software development to return to
    nursing I do not need MS Office compatability. So for me, OpenOffice or
    perhaps StarOffice (if it adds any significant value over OpenOffice)
    would be fine for my word processing and spreadsheet needs, which are
    pretty simple. As for Internet software, the best browser and email (in
    my humble opinion) are available for Linux now and those would be
    Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird. I use them in Windows now and would
    certainly stay with them in Linux. ICQ, AIM and Yahoo chat I think are
    all covered with Kopete that is a part of the Linux KDE desktop, which I
    personally prefer over it's chief competitor, Gnome. Those are the most
    important applications for me and Linux has all that covered with decent
    software now. There's a lot more I could go on about but if you've been
    following or have used Linux, I'm sure you are probably already well
    aware of them.

    I am thinking very seriously about going back to Linux now that the
    desktop has had more than a year to mature further since I last lived in
    it. I liked it then but felt too many applications were in varying
    stages of beta (or worse) for everyday use, at least to satisfy me.
    While the underlying operating system never crashed once in a full year
    of use, running 24/7, at that time application crashes were common and
    annoying, at least with the stuff I was using. Also, back then I needed
    Word compatability and it simply was not there yet in OpenOffice. My
    documents with tables always came through mangled and that for me was a
    real problem. I don't know how it is now but as I mentioned before, that
    no longer matters to me personally. I probably should have sprung for
    Crossover-Office back then and just run Word in Linux but with the other
    problems I had seen, and the lack of support for some newer games I
    wanted to play at the time in WineX, I just decided to go back to
    Windows XP and wait for Linux to further mature. Well, actually for the
    Linux desktop software and applications to further mature I should say.

    But a lot has changed since then and so I am very tempted to try it
    again. Without getting into the reasons for it, and the ensuing
    flamewar, I'll just tell you that I personally hate Microsoft's
    management and I greatly prefer to use competing products when I can.

    I think if I decide to do this, I will go with either SUSE 9.2 (first
    choice if it can be downloaded for free) or Mandrake 10.1. Both of them
    can resize my NTFS partition on the first hard disk in my system to make
    room for themselves, while allowing me to keep winders and both of them
    will setup dual booting for me automatically and painlessly. I'm too
    cheap to pay for Xandros when I don't know until I live in it again if I
    will be completely satisfied or not. I would subscribe to Transgaming's
    Cedega again too of course so I can play EverQuest, Anarchy Online and
    other games without rebooting. I think I'll skip StarOffice and just use
    the open source version of it, OpenOffice and see if that's good enough.

    If after several months of use I think I am going to stay in Linux this
    time around, I'll think again then about how satisfied I am with
    whichever distro I am using versus what Xandros has to offer. If I don't
    move to Xandros, I probably will buy Codeweavers Crossover-Office
    because of the excellent Quicktime support if offers in Linux and also
    because it now supports iTunes. And if for whatever reasons I am not
    happy with OpenOffice it would be nice to be able run Word and Excel in
    Linux. Although, I'd look to StarOffice first before taking that route.

    You know though, if money wasn't a problem for me I wouldn't even bother
    with Linux for my home system. I'd buy a nice Apple Macintosh computer
    and use that for my everyday computing as well as whatever games I like
    that are supported on it. There you have the rock solid core of FreeBSD
    5 with the elegant desktop of OS X and a good variety of nice
    applications to use for your everyday work and play at home. Then I'd
    network a windows xp pro gaming box to it and use that system as nothing
    more than a glorifed Xbox to run my PC games. I have for many years felt
    that an Apple system versus a PC was something like the difference
    between driving a Chevy and a Cadillac.

    I don't know why Gates and the crew in Redmond don't just replace the
    windows core in the next release with Linux or BSD and graft the windows
    desktop onto that as Apple did with OS X. It would not be the first time
    that Apple led and they followed. UNIX and its variants have stood the
    test of time in terms of reliability and security whereas Windows does
    not share a similar history up to this day. Of course, for all we know
    perhaps they are going to do that and have not made any disclosure yet.
    I do not recall noticing any discussion anywhere of Microsoft's next
    operating system release or what they have planned for it. But then I
    don't follow this stuff as closely as I used to so maybe there is some
    news out there I am not aware of.

    Anyway, if I do take the plunge I will let you guys know exactly how it
    goes in terms of gaming, particularly as it applies to EverQuest.

    --
    Get Thunderbird - Reclaim Your Inbox

    Get Firefox! - The Browser You Can Trust

    In article <MPG.1c3ed5016a1ec680989972@shawnews>, 42 wrote:
    > And, while EQ2 is, by most accounts the graphically superior title, that
    > doesn't account for all... many of the years graphics blockbusters are
    > also supported... e.g. Doom3, and Half-Life2.

    I'm not all that impressed with EQ2 graphically, actually. Even turning
    everything all the way up, it doesn't look anywhere near as good as those
    movies SOE was showing about a year ago at trade shows. I think a lot of
    EQ2's reputation as being the best MMORPG graphically comes from people
    remembering those movies, and assuming that the game looks like that.

    It's really hard to compare EQ2 and WoW graphically because they use
    different styles. EQ2 is going for a more realistic look, where is WoW is
    going for a cartoonish style. (And of the games that are going for a
    realistic look, I'm not sure EQ2 is the best...there was a graphics update
    to DAoC with the Catacombs exansion that looks pretty awesome, especially
    some of the environmental effects).

    > Coupled with Blizzards simultaneous and proper support of the OSX,
    > something SOE only did late and half-assed with EQ1, and so far haven't
    > even attempted with EQ2... it really makes we wonder just what SOE has
    > done with (to?) their code.

    Yes, this is very nice of Blizzard. It is very cool to be able to play WoW
    on my desktop PC, or to decide I feel like relaxing in the living room and
    play on my PowerBook connected to my 61" DLP TV. They beat out SOE's
    half-assed EQ1 Mac support in three ways:

    1. The Windows and Mac releases were simultaneous.

    2. They are in the same box. EQ1 Mac was a separate purchase.

    3. They use the same servers. In EQ1, the Mac players could not play on the
    same servers as the Windows players, and vice versa. So, no playing with
    your Windows-using friends.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Michael <NOSPAM_Lin_mukai@comcast.net> wrote:
    [snipped a whole lot of interesting read]
    > I don't know why Gates and the crew in Redmond don't just replace the
    > windows core in the next release with Linux or BSD and graft the windows
    > desktop onto that as Apple did with OS X. It would not be the first time
    > that Apple led and they followed. UNIX and its variants have stood the
    > test of time in terms of reliability and security whereas Windows does
    > not share a similar history up to this day. Of course, for all we know
    > perhaps they are going to do that and have not made any disclosure yet.
    > I do not recall noticing any discussion anywhere of Microsoft's next
    > operating system release or what they have planned for it. But then I
    > don't follow this stuff as closely as I used to so maybe there is some
    > news out there I am not aware of.

    There was a time when I did argue strongly against M$ Windows. But I'm a
    bit more mature(i hope so atleast :P) and everytime I get asked whether
    one should try Linux or Windows I'll ask what they want to do with it in
    return. If someone wants Office and the general Windows Feeling then
    stick with M$.

    I'm no friend of KDE and even GNOME desktop isn't the thing I like. So I
    ended up with a completely self made linux(though the Linux from Scratch
    website gave me alot of help). They GUI I installed is made of a few
    little tools that provide a good interface to the shell. After all there
    aren't much areas where a mouse driven interface is superiour to the
    console.

    This machine acts as file/print server, firewall etc. On my desktop
    system I still use windows though mainly for games. Every serious work I
    do I'll do on the console on the server. This is due to my
    disappointment with graphical uis. Though I don't use an office package.
    TeX is more then adequate to my needs.

    With Cedega I might try to install a linux system on my desktop. After
    all if EQ is running fine - no need for windows for me. :)

    > Anyway, if I do take the plunge I will let you guys know exactly how it
    > goes in terms of gaming, particularly as it applies to EverQuest.

    I'm really interested in the result.

    Hagen

    Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de> wrote:
    > Oh come on. It's not always SoE's fault.

    SOE's products aren't SOE's fault?

    Ha! Good one. :)

    > Transgaming's Cedega software supports running EQ under linux.
    >
    > Not surprisingly EQ2, according to reports, doesn't run playably in
    this configuration. What -is- surprising is that WoW *does*

    EQII's game engine is far superior to WoW's so that's not surprising.
    Run Linux for what it does best but for modern gaming you need a WinXP
    box.

    In article <nyVBd.5275$F67.3260@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, Lanfiir wrote:
    > EQII's game engine is far superior to WoW's so that's not surprising.

    That's open to debate. The artistic styles are so different between the two
    games that it is hard to tell what the WoW engine can do. It's kind of like
    trying to compare Ocarina of Time to Wind Waker.

    Take a hippogryph ride in WoW and observe your mount. There's a lot of
    detail in that model, and the motion is much more fluid than anything I've
    seen EQ2's engine produce. Or take a look at outdoor areas. WoW's have
    more things in them. EQ2 has to resort to fairly barren landscapes (I hope
    this is due to engine limits, rather than due to horrible zone design).

    (BTW: an interesting thing to do is go find a hiking trail in real life in a
    wooded area, and note the density of trees off the trail. RL woods are far
    denser than I've seen in any MMORPG).

    Also, this is irrelevant, because Doom 3 runs on Cedega, and its engine is
    way ahead of EQ2's engine.

    What I want to know is what happened to the EQ2 engine that was used for the
    demos around a year or so ago? In the released EQ2, even turning all
    graphics options to their best-looking setting, it doesn't come anywhere
    near those demos. I suppose that given Sony's deceptive EQ2 TV
    advertising, it is possible that those demos were all fake, too.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    In article <QEXBd.15454$RH4.7174@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    reply_in_group@mouse-potato.com says...
    > In article <nyVBd.5275$F67.3260@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com>, Lanfiir wrote:
    > > EQII's game engine is far superior to WoW's so that's not surprising.

    Disregarding EQ2 vs WoW neatly dodges that whole debate.

    > Also, this is irrelevant, because Doom 3 runs on Cedega, and its engine is
    > way ahead of EQ2's engine.

    Exactly! You can jump up and down about EQ2 being 'better' graphically
    than WoW but so what that doesn't really buy you any ground. Doom 3, Far
    Cry, Half Life 2: all state-of-the-art graphics titles and all are
    working.

    > What I want to know is what happened to the EQ2 engine that was used for the
    > demos around a year or so ago? In the released EQ2, even turning all
    > graphics options to their best-looking setting, it doesn't come anywhere
    > near those demos. I suppose that given Sony's deceptive EQ2 TV
    > advertising, it is possible that those demos were all fake, too.

    I think it moved from possible to probable a while ago.

    > That's open to debate. The artistic styles are so different between
    the two games that it is hard to tell what the WoW engine can do.

    The WoW engine may or may not be at its maximums. The fact is that to
    most people, WoW looks "cartoony" and EQII looks much more complex.

    > Also, this is irrelevant, because Doom 3 runs on Cedega, and its
    engine is way ahead of EQ2's engine.

    I doubt either one of us is qualified enough to determine which engine
    is ahead of the other, but I can at least apply your same logic to
    EQII vs. Doom 3: "The artistic styles are so differnet between the
    two games..."

    > What I want to know is what happened to the EQ2 engine that was used
    for the demos around a year or so ago?

    SOE admitted that they had to bring the engine back down to be more
    friendly with current technology. When the next advances in
    computers (CPUs, memory, video cards, etc.) come out, you will very
    likely see EQII hold up better than WoW's engine.

    I'm not saying this is an advantage or disadvantage for EQII. Both
    EQII and WoW are great games, they are just different. I don't
    consider one better or worse than the other, I enjoy both. And I
    don't go into other games newsgroups and insult them and their
    players or accuse the vendors of lying to sell a few more boxes.

    In article <qB0Cd.10388$wi2.4694@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, hbh3
    @sbcglobal-dot-net.no-spam.invalid says...
    > > That's open to debate. The artistic styles are so different between
    > the two games that it is hard to tell what the WoW engine can do.
    >
    > The WoW engine may or may not be at its maximums. The fact is that to
    > most people, WoW looks "cartoony" and EQII looks much more complex.
    >
    > > Also, this is irrelevant, because Doom 3 runs on Cedega, and its
    > engine is way ahead of EQ2's engine.
    >
    > I doubt either one of us is qualified enough to determine which engine
    > is ahead of the other, but I can at least apply your same logic to
    > EQII vs. Doom 3: "The artistic styles are so differnet between the
    > two games..."

    ....aren't as considerable. Both are doing the realism 'thing'. And Doom3
    does it with more candy effects: more light sources/fog effects/moving
    coloured lights/ bump mapping textures/ etc/ etc /etc than EQ2 does.

    > > What I want to know is what happened to the EQ2 engine that was used
    > for the demos around a year or so ago?
    >
    > SOE admitted that they had to bring the engine back down to be more
    > friendly with current technology.

    And if you beleive that ... I'll sell you a bridge in London. (Although
    I'll admit I can't sell it to you today, because the payment system I'm
    using is currently down for upgrades.)

    :p

    > When the next advances in
    > computers (CPUs, memory, video cards, etc.) come out, you will very
    > likely see EQII hold up better than WoW's engine.

    Cuz WoW's engine has been carved into stone tablets and cannot be
    updated. Surely you're aware how mmorpgs evolve?

    Basing 'Holding up better' on what we can see today would only be
    relevant if they weren't both continually improving.

    > I'm not saying this is an advantage or disadvantage for EQII.

    Its a clear disadvantage that potential customers can't run it. The
    hypothetical advantage two years from now is far enough away that EQ2s
    engine coming into its own is irrelevant. WoW could have an update that
    leapfrogs EQ2 in the meantime completely mitigating it.

    What will matter in the -long- run is scalability/upgradability. And
    even if we agreed that EQ2 started out prettier, I'd put my money on the
    blizzard horse for the long haul.

    But regardless of my personal opinion, there is simply no way to gauge
    scalability/upgradeability by looking at what we can see of the existing
    engines.

    Nobody ever said you did. Guilty conscious bugging you? :)

    "42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > In article <qB0Cd.10388$wi2.4694@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, hbh3
    >
    > > I'm not saying this is an advantage or disadvantage for EQII.
    >
    > Its a clear disadvantage that potential customers can't run it. The
    > hypothetical advantage two years from now is far enough away that EQ2s
    > engine coming into its own is irrelevant. WoW could have an update that
    > leapfrogs EQ2 in the meantime completely mitigating it.
    >
    > What will matter in the -long- run is scalability/upgradability. And
    > even if we agreed that EQ2 started out prettier, I'd put my money on the
    > blizzard horse for the long haul.

    Plus, as I've said before both here and elsewhere: In two years, Vanguard will
    be released with a shiny, fresh engine and EQ2 will probably be struggling
    through an 'engine upgrade' that my Magic 8-ball predicts will be about as
    smooth as the various EQ(1) changes.

    --
    Simond
    "I ask for so little. Just fear me, love me, do as I say and I will be your

    On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 11:40:06 -0000, "Simond"
    <apocalypsecow@spamfilterdeletemeplease.dsl.pipex.net> wrote:

    >"42" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> In article <qB0Cd.10388$wi2.4694@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, hbh3
    >>
    >> > I'm not saying this is an advantage or disadvantage for EQII.
    >>
    >> Its a clear disadvantage that potential customers can't run it. The
    >> hypothetical advantage two years from now is far enough away that EQ2s
    >> engine coming into its own is irrelevant. WoW could have an update that
    >> leapfrogs EQ2 in the meantime completely mitigating it.
    >>
    >> What will matter in the -long- run is scalability/upgradability. And
    >> even if we agreed that EQ2 started out prettier, I'd put my money on the
    >> blizzard horse for the long haul.
    >
    >Plus, as I've said before both here and elsewhere: In two years, Vanguard will
    >be released with a shiny, fresh engine and EQ2 will probably be struggling
    >through an 'engine upgrade' that my Magic 8-ball predicts will be about as
    >smooth as the various EQ(1) changes.

    Not to mention that there are still bugs (mobs under the surface) with
    the new graphics engine.
    I really appreciate the idea of taking my monthly fees from EQ1 to
    develope EQ2 instead of fixing old bugs in EQ1. ;)

    Meldur (1 Sony customer less when WoW Europe is released)

    Wow, you guys are really bitter. ;-)

    In article <MPG.1c42b2d2c6f81d87989976@shawnews>, 42 wrote:
    >> When the next advances in computers (CPUs, memory, video cards, etc.)
    >> come out, you will very likely see EQII hold up better than WoW's
    >> engine.
    >

    > Cuz WoW's engine has been carved into stone tablets and cannot be updated.
    > Surely you're aware how mmorpgs evolve?
    >
    > Basing 'Holding up better' on what we can see today would only be relevant
    > if they weren't both continually improving.

    For an example of this, consider DAoC. Each year, there has been an
    expansion that has included an engine update, each time bringing it up
    to the forefront of MMORPG graphics. I haven't played the latest expansion
    yet, but I've seen movies made by players (so they actually reflect what is
    in the game, as opposed to SOE movies), and the environment looks as good or
    better than EQ2. I think EQ2 might still have a little more detailed
    player models, but not by much.

    Furthermore, Mythic can keep this up indefinitely, because they are using
    the Gamebryo engine from NDL, rather than one developed in-house like SOE
    uses. And since their engine is one used by a lot of games, there are
    third-party companies that have developed tools and extensions for it. One
    of the DAoC expansions added a new tree system, for example, that is
    available off the shelf from a third party. You won't see Sony able to go
    pick up off the shelf extension to the SOE engine--anything like that, they
    will have to develop in-house.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:31:06 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:

    > One
    > of the DAoC expansions added a new tree system, for example, that is
    > available off the shelf from a third party. You won't see Sony able to go
    > pick up off the shelf extension to the SOE engine--anything like that, they
    > will have to develop in-house.

    My wife and I are trying DAoC again with the Catacombs expansion and I just
    mentioned to her about the trees. It's the fist game I've seen where a pine
    tree *actually* had realistic looking pine cones on it. Unfortunately, for
    me, the gameplay hasn't changed much so I don't know how long I'll stay but
    it definitely is the prettiest in my opinion.
    --
    RJB
    1/3/2005 11:35:03 AM

    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea -- massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.
    -Gene Spafford

    > My wife and I are trying DAoC again with the Catacombs expansion and
    I just
    > mentioned to her about the trees. It's the fist game I've seen where
    a pine
    > tree *actually* had realistic looking pine cones on it.
    Unfortunately, for
    > me, the gameplay hasn't changed much so I don't know how long I'll
    stay but
    > it definitely is the prettiest in my opinion.

    Yup, the DAoC update that included the new trees was quite impressive.
    Too bad New Frontiers came shortly thereafter. /wink

    Lanfiir <hbh3@sbcglobal-dot-net.no-spam.invalid> wrote:

    >> My wife and I are trying DAoC again with the Catacombs expansion and
    > I just
    >> mentioned to her about the trees. It's the fist game I've seen where
    > a pine
    >> tree *actually* had realistic looking pine cones on it.
    > Unfortunately, for
    >> me, the gameplay hasn't changed much so I don't know how long I'll
    > stay but
    >> it definitely is the prettiest in my opinion.
    >>

    > Yup, the DAoC update that included the new trees was quite impressive.
    > Too bad New Frontiers came shortly thereafter. /wink

    Is it just my newsreader that messages from Lanfiir wouldn't be ordered
    correctly in the tree or does anybody else has this problem?

    Hagen

    RJB <robartle@NOSPAM.hotmail.com> wrote in

    > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 15:31:06 GMT, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> One
    >> of the DAoC expansions added a new tree system, for example, that is
    >> available off the shelf from a third party. You won't see Sony able
    >> to go pick up off the shelf extension to the SOE engine--anything
    >> like that, they will have to develop in-house.
    >
    > My wife and I are trying DAoC again with the Catacombs expansion and I
    > just mentioned to her about the trees. It's the fist game I've seen
    > where a pine tree *actually* had realistic looking pine cones on it.
    > Unfortunately, for me, the gameplay hasn't changed much so I don't
    > know how long I'll stay but it definitely is the prettiest in my
    > opinion.

    Indeed - it looks like Mythic took the best course on this in terms
    of graphics - the ability to swap out graphics engines relatively easily
    will be a huge boon in keeping it updated. I find that a far better
    solution that saying "We developed it for machines down the line, just
    turn down the options" at which point it looks worse than another game
    not developed for the top-end machines that don't exist yet.

    --
    Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
    Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw

    Mairelon, 14th Paladin
    Silverhand

    My WoW Mods: http://therealorang.com

    In article <fgjdrc.pa1.ln@arellarti.fqdn.th-h.de>, Hagen Sienhold wrote:
    > Is it just my newsreader that messages from Lanfiir wouldn't be ordered
    > correctly in the tree or does anybody else has this problem?

    No, it's not just you. His stupid newsreader is botching the References
    header line. The References line is supposed to look like this:

    where msgN is the message ID of the message you are replying to, and before
    that is the message ID of the message that one is replying to, and so on,
    back a reasonable number of messages.

    His References line looks like this:

    where msg1 is the message ID of the message that started the thread. So,
    his messages are seen as replies to the message that started the thread,
    rather than as replies to the message he is quoting.

    --
    --Tim Smith