Screen Saver issues

April 12, 2005 7:10:45 PM

It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides not
to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels like
it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix this
annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems with
that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows XP
installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see, when I
run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the original
WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD as
well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used to
work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on". Additionally,
my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a very
reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

More about : screen saver issues

Anonymous
April 13, 2005 2:11:11 AM

Go here and create a WinXP + SP2 Bootable CD. That should allow you to
run Sfc /scannow and do a Repair Install
if required.
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

"yank51" <yank51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides not
> to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels like
> it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix
> this
> annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems with
> that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
> people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows XP
> installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see, when
> run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the
> original
> WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD
> as
> well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used
> work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
> saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on". Additionally,
> my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a
> very
> reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

April 13, 2005 11:34:36 AM

Rich,
Thanks for the info. All works well EXCEPT I have SP2 on CD, and did not
download it from MS.... Also, I have no folder named "i386" in my SP2 CD or
its copy... I obtained ISOBuster form the web site, and believe I understand
how to use it, but I'm stuck on combining SP2 with my original XP. I created
folders per the instructions: XP; XP-SP2; and XP-Bootimage. I'm sure there
is some small step I'm missing, but his is all new ground for me....
Thanks

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Go here and create a WinXP + SP2 Bootable CD. That should allow you to
> run Sfc /scannow and do a Repair Install
> if required.
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
>

> "yank51" <yank51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides
>> not
>> to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels
>> like
>> it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix
>> this
>> annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems with
>> that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
>> people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows XP
>> installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see,
>> when I
>> run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the
>> original
>> WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD
>> as
>> well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used
>> work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
>> saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on".
>> Additionally,
>> my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a
>> very
>> reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

Related resources
April 13, 2005 3:53:38 PM

Rich,
Cancel all of that. Got it figured out. Just have to figure out the burn
process, as I have Nero Express, not the full version....

> Rich,
> Thanks for the info. All works well EXCEPT I have SP2 on CD, and did not
> download it from MS.... Also, I have no folder named "i386" in my SP2 CD
> or its copy... I obtained ISOBuster form the web site, and believe I
> understand how to use it, but I'm stuck on combining SP2 with my original
> XP. I created folders per the instructions: XP; XP-SP2; and XP-Bootimage.
> I'm sure there is some small step I'm missing, but his is all new ground
> for me....
> Thanks
>
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Go here and create a WinXP + SP2 Bootable CD. That should allow you
>> to run Sfc /scannow and do a Repair Install
>> if required.
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm
>>

>> "yank51" <yank51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides
>>> not
>>> to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels
>>> like
>>> it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix
>>> this
>>> annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems
>>> with
>>> that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
>>> people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows
>>> XP
>>> installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see,
>>> when I
>>> run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the
>>> original
>>> WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD
>>> as
>>> well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used
>>> work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
>>> saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on".
>>> Additionally,
>>> my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a
>>> very
>>> reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 12:56:20 AM

Yank51, glad to hear you got it figured out. The image you burn has to be
bootable CD. Good Luck with Nero Express.
"yank51" <yank51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides not
> to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels like
> it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix
> this
> annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems with
> that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
> people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows XP
> installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see, when
> run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the
> original
> WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD
> as
> well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used
> work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
> saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on". Additionally,
> my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a
> very
> reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

April 14, 2005 3:34:11 PM

OK, Rich...That didn't work very well... Had to make a couple of "coaster",
but seems what I have now is the real deal. HOWEVER, still getting the same
"you need to insert the proper CD" error message when I try and run
SFC/Scannow on my machine. I'm not very impressed with MS at the moment. I
paid $90+ dollars for my WindowsXP disc, and supposed support but it doesn't
do what it should. I SHOULD NOT have to be making CDs to fix errors in their
OS. How's Linux compare?? I'm becoming very frustrated with the whole mess.
I occasionally got blue-screens of death with their earlier OSs, but their
security concerns (I mean keeping everyone from using extra copies) is
making use of their products a real PITA...Any other suggestions?? I'm
really not sure I've got the right boot image on my slipstreamed CD, but I'm
not going out and paying 60-70 dollars to buy a CD Burner program that
operates like the examples in ElderGeeks web site, after all, what use would
I have for that anyway?? When my slipstreamed CD is inserted, the WindowXP
install start screen comes up, which appears as if everything is good. I'm
not interested in making copies of purchased items (other than for my own
use, and I'll just buy what I desire). I'm open to any suggestions...

> Yank51, glad to hear you got it figured out. The image you burn has to be
> bootable CD. Good Luck with Nero Express.
> "yank51" <yank51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides
>> not
>> to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels
>> like
>> it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix
>> this
>> annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems with
>> that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
>> people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows XP
>> installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see,
>> when I
>> run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the
>> original
>> WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD
>> as
>> well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used
>> work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
>> saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on".
>> Additionally,
>> my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a
>> very
>> reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:34:59 PM

Yank51, you could try a Repair Install with the newly made
Slipstreamed CD. To see if that's an option for you check
here.

If you decide to do so, pay attention to # 3. People usually do
exactly what he is saying not to do.

I really like Linux. If you have broadband go to www.distrowatch.com
and try a LiveCD. Knoppix is my favorite.

Another suggestion is to try Mozilla Firefox. That's all I use now.
IE has too many Security flaws.

> OK, Rich...That didn't work very well... Had to make a couple of
> "coaster", but seems what I have now is the real deal. HOWEVER, still
> getting the same "you need to insert the proper CD" error message when I
> try and run SFC/Scannow on my machine. I'm not very impressed with MS at
> the moment. I paid $90+ dollars for my WindowsXP disc, and supposed
> support but it doesn't do what it should. I SHOULD NOT have to be making
> CDs to fix errors in their OS. How's Linux compare?? I'm becoming very
> frustrated with the whole mess. I occasionally got blue-screens of death
> with their earlier OSs, but their security concerns (I mean keeping
> everyone from using extra copies) is making use of their products a real
> PITA...Any other suggestions?? I'm really not sure I've got the right boot
> image on my slipstreamed CD, but I'm not going out and paying 60-70
> dollars to buy a CD Burner program that operates like the examples in
> ElderGeeks web site, after all, what use would I have for that anyway??
> When my slipstreamed CD is inserted, the WindowXP install start screen
> comes up, which appears as if everything is good. I'm not interested in
> making copies of purchased items (other than for my own use, and I'll just
> buy what I desire). I'm open to any suggestions...
>
> "Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Yank51, glad to hear you got it figured out. The image you burn has to
>> be bootable CD. Good Luck with Nero Express.
>> "yank51" <yank51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides
>>> not
>>> to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels
>>> like
>>> it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix
>>> this
>>> annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems
>>> with
>>> that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
>>> people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows
>>> XP
>>> installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see,
>>> when I
>>> run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the
>>> original
>>> WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD
>>> as
>>> well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used
>>> work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
>>> saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on".
>>> Additionally,
>>> my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a
>>> very
>>> reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

Anonymous
April 14, 2005 10:46:05 PM

Yank51, you could try a Repair Install with the newly made
Slipstreamed CD. To see if that's an option for you check
here.

If you decide to do so, pay attention to # 3. People usually do
exactly what he is saying not to do.

I really like Linux. If you have broadband go to www.distrowatch.com
and try a LiveCD. Knoppix is my favorite.

Another suggestion is to try Mozilla Firefox. That's all I use now.
IE has too many Security flaws.

"yank51" <yank51@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It seems that WindowsXP (I've got SP2 installed) occasionally decides not
> to run my screensaver/monitor power-down selection when ever it feels like
> it.... This has gone on for some time now, but I've been unable to fix
> this
> annoying issue. I've even tried to run SFC/Scannow but have problems with
> that also since installing SP2... I've tried to work with the SP2 help
> people, but I only get as far as being told I need an Original Windows XP
> installation disk, not an upgrade from Win98 (which I have). You see, when
> run SFC/Scannow, I get error messages stating I need to install the
> original
> WinXP disk. I have an original update WinXP home version, and the SP2 CD
> as
> well. Neither one will get me through the SFC/Scannow procedure. It used
> work fine BEFORE SP2 install when I would have this issue with my screen
> saver. I use the Windows XP Screen saver, not some "add-on". Additionally,
> my task bar just seems to add/drop icons when it feels like it... Not a
> very
> reliable OS huh?? Anybody??

April 15, 2005 2:36:19 AM

Rich,
Yeah, I use Firefox already... I'm not convinced I have a good slipstreamed
copy of XP SP2, so I'm going to try making another CD... I suspect the boot
is NG... I'll post and let you (and others) know. NERO express will only let
you install the boot from either a floppy or its own internal boot file,
which is what my latest CD creation has on it... Probably NG...

!