Windows XP Pro Recovery Console

I recently had a startup problem with my Toshiba Portege - no safe mode,
last configuration, etc. , and the error message said the pci.sys file in
system32/drivers was corrupt or missing, and to insert the XP Pro setup
disk, and type "r" at the first screen to start the repair.

Toshiba provides a recovery disk which formats the HD and returns it to the
configuration at purchase. After realizing I could not fix it, I went to
Toshiba and it only took a few minutes to fix the problem. I think it used
the "recovery console" on the XP Pro disk. I have since read that the
recovery console can be installed on the HD to be used with problems like
mine.

Is there any way to install the recovery console on the hard drive, or put
the recovery console on a CD to fix similar problems in the future (the
Portege has no floppy drive, but can access the CD/DVD drive at startup, if
necessary. TIA for any solutions.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows recovery console

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 08:05:48 +0700, "kamiuk" <kamiuk@aol.com> wrote:

    >I recently had a startup problem with my Toshiba Portege - no safe mode,
    >last configuration, etc. , and the error message said the pci.sys file in
    >system32/drivers was corrupt or missing, and to insert the XP Pro setup
    >disk, and type "r" at the first screen to start the repair.
    >
    >Toshiba provides a recovery disk which formats the HD and returns it to the
    >configuration at purchase. After realizing I could not fix it, I went to
    >Toshiba and it only took a few minutes to fix the problem. I think it used
    >the "recovery console" on the XP Pro disk. I have since read that the
    >recovery console can be installed on the HD to be used with problems like
    >mine.
    >
    >Is there any way to install the recovery console on the hard drive, or put
    >the recovery console on a CD to fix similar problems in the future (the
    >Portege has no floppy drive, but can access the CD/DVD drive at startup, if
    >necessary. TIA for any solutions.

    Try this KB article.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

    Dave

    The MS article doesn't help; I guess the only way to get the recovery
    console is to buy a Windows XP Pro CD. It would have been nice if Toshiba,
    which doesn't supply anything except the recovery CD, would have installed
    the recovery console on the HD as part of the original installation. Thanks
    anyway.

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:41:28 +0700, "kamiuk" <kamiuk@aol.com> wrote:

    >The MS article doesn't help; I guess the only way to get the recovery
    >console is to buy a Windows XP Pro CD. It would have been nice if Toshiba,
    >which doesn't supply anything except the recovery CD, would have installed
    >the recovery console on the HD as part of the original installation. Thanks
    >anyway.

    Wont Toshiba provide the RC for you?
    In my opinion, if you purchased a PC with XP, you should
    be entitled to all the tools that are available on the XP CD.
    You can thank M$ for the current state of affairs
    with "recovery disks"
    Dave

Recovery Console Windows XP