Help needed with Compaq Presario 16XL255 PCMCIA slot on Wi..

peter

After installing Win2000 on a Presario 16XL255 notebook the PCMCI slot
is not working. The system does not accept the installation of the
correct drivers for both the PCMCIA XIRCOM Ethernet/Modem card and
Wireless LAN card. Error code 10 (This device can not start) is given.
Pls. advice.
Regards, Peter

hh

This is likely why W2K was not supported on Presarios that did not come with
it preinstalled (I believe only 3-4 units did). It's likely a hardware
resource conflict, although I do not have any specific info. You wiped the
drive and did a clean install, not an upgrade, correct?
HH

"Peter" <szapora@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> After installing Win2000 on a Presario 16XL255 notebook the PCMCI slot
> is not working. The system does not accept the installation of the
> correct drivers for both the PCMCIA XIRCOM Ethernet/Modem card and
> Wireless LAN card. Error code 10 (This device can not start) is given.
> Pls. advice.
> Regards, Peter

peter

Yes it was a clean install. Crawling over the internet I found the
solution for this problem.
- in the bios disable the soundblaster
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q274509&ID=KB;EN-US;Q274509&)
- download the conextant drivers from driverguid site (user: drivers,
pword: all.
- make sure that all the modem/sound component are present and do not
show any error messages when inserting a pcmcia card.
- if the card is not recognized then update the correct driver.
Regards Peter