Too much Power?

Drake

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
I have a fairly new hp pavilion. I want to upgrade the power supply for a new Radeon 9800 pro. The hp support tech told me not to go above a 300 W Power supply. Could I be putting my system at risk with higher power supply?
Seems odd.

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
A good quality PSU should never deliver too much power to your PC. You do need to make sure that you get something compatible with your HP though. I dont know if HP uses anything proprietary that would affect your PSU choice.

jamarno

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2001
the HP employee was clueless because the only way a supply can send out too much power is if something in the computer draws an abnormally high amount of power, such as because of a failure or short, because the supply tries to keep its voltages constant, and the loads determine the currents for each voltage line.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Completely wrong. Most HP systems use Micro ATX boards and either PS/3 or SFX power supplies (the two most common small ATX form factors).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can't have too much power, the power supply only puts out whatever power the system draws from it. Just make sure whatever you buy will fit, if it looks like a standard ATX power supply, make sure you have enough depth, as the shorter PS/3 power supplies look identicle from the back of the system.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>