What are the best Power setting?

rty7

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2004
Hi,
I would like to know what are the recommended settings for the 'power save' options, in order to protect my computer's hardware (avoid failer as much as possible).
As you know, the optional settings are related to:
Screen saver, turn-off monitor, turn-off hard disk, system standby.
Also, What is the preferred behaviour: turn on/off the computer every time i need the computer/finished using the computer,
OR
Turn on the compuer on the first time i need it, let him change modes according to the 'power saving' settings when it is not beeing used, and turn it off only on the last usage at night?

I'm using p4 3G (480W), TFT screen and a UPS.

Thanks.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
power conservation settings only save power, they will not help you in the area of hardware failure. you already have the best protection, an ups. i leave my main computer on all the time, day and night. either way isnt going to hurt your computer. who knows which is better on your components, i say its better for them to stay on all the time.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!

rty7

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2004
Currently i'm leaving the computer on all day (as you do),
but i'm not sure this is the best behaviour...

Thank's for the response.

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
its just a preference. there are arguments as to wich is better on both sides, as are downsides on both sides. i think it comes down to electricity costs, if you would rather pay a little more in electricity costs to have your computer always available and not have to wait for booting then leave it on. if you only use it once or twice a day then its up to you. i use my computer SEVERAL times a day so i just leave it on. and i used to encode movies over night so i got used to the humm while i sleep. plus it keeps my room warmer in the winter!

wpdclan.com cs game server - 64.246.52.144:27015
now featuring valve security module!