Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Wierd mouse lag help!

Last response: in Video Games
January 4, 2012 9:45:17 PM

Hi guys, i have searched for weeks with out finding a viable fix.

So here is the thing: When playing certain games after a few minutes the mouse starts to lag. Not a stutter or anything, but complete drop to 0 fps. When i move with WASD i get absolutely no lag, i can spin around and have no lag at all. But if i move the mouse, it drops to 0 until i stop moving it. The weird thing is, it doesn't do it with all games. While playing MW3 it happens and if i move my mouse the FPS drops to 0, but it stays hi using WASD. I can exit out and go play Minecraft and it does the same thing. But, if i go open Skyrim, it does not have this problem.

Specs:

GPU: GTX 275 896mb
Processor: Intel 2 Core Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5GHz
Ram: 2x2GB DDR2

The only way to fix this problem is to restart the computer. Though it starts acting up awhile later. This is not a virus because I recently reformatted my computer, and I had this problem before I reformatted.

PLEASE HELP!

Video drivers and mouse drivers are updated. How do i check/upgrade my motherboard drivers? My temperature on my gcard is fine. Maxing at like 65*C (i have awesome cooling :3)

Here is a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHu [...] e=youtu.be

It is kinda hard to know what you are looking for. The skipping of the mouse is where the fps drops to 0 then re-appears somewhere else. If you watch the background of the game, you can see it drop in FPS when i move the mouse.

Thanks again

More about : wierd mouse lag

January 4, 2012 10:22:29 PM

hmm, didn't I already reply to this?..

...oh, right, stupid mod closed the thread before I could post a reply... I thought they were supposed to be helpful. Anyways, just to remember what I was thinking

Def seems like video card issue cause you can see the fog lagging in background. Have you tried a different mouse? do you get the same behavior?

we need to figure out if this is caused by the mouse or not, so try a different mouse. If it's not the mouse, check your mobo manufacturer and check their website.

Also, I'm guessing you reformatted trying to fix this issue, was there some point where MW3 or L4D2 was working fine and then decided to start lagging like that?

also you say it starts acting up after a while, that typically indicates something heating up and then causing the problem or memory issue. if your GPU is maxing at 65C, what about your CPU? How about mobo and ram? (the latter two might not have sensors on them, so no way to tell then) I'd open your case up and check for dust, etc and check if you feel any significant heat. check the PSU just in case.

It could be something like overheating controller on the motherboard.

So, do those, see if you come up with anything. Come back with your findings.
Score
January 4, 2012 11:30:06 PM

Yeah, i think he closed because i had to many bumps.

But back to the thing. There is NO over heating in my case. The fans i have on my case keep it extremely cool, well as cool as it can get, and overheating is definitely not the problem. (my gpu used to be around 58* on idle, but it is only like 45*C with the new cooling) I also have dusted so that is not a problem. I did not reformat to fix the issue. It was because of a virus :|.

I will need to try another mouse later, when i can get one.

Recent development: MW3 is now playable, all i did was lower the CPU priority from High to Normal, this fixed the lag. I have yet to try on the other games, because i am not getting the lag now :p . BUUUUTTTTT If the game starts lagging again, all I have to do is mess with the CPU priority to realtime, which seams to fix it, and i just alternate back and forth.....which is really really weird.

Could the lag be being caused by the mouse trying to keep up with the clock cycles of the CPU? Forcing it to update last?

Last note: Thanks for your help so far, I will come back to this thread in a day or so to report that the fix worked but I will have to try other games.
Score
Related resources
January 7, 2012 8:58:36 PM

Okay here is the update: I thought i had fixed it permanently, but after playing Skyrim, and exiting out, and then loading up MW3, the mouse lag came back and was unable to be fixed. HEEELLLPPPP!

FIXED! Some one else told me to reinstall a later gcard driver, i had the beta driver from NVIDIA which apparently was screwing up my game.

Yeah that didn't work. STILL NEED HELP
Score
January 8, 2012 12:28:27 AM

check your nvidia panel and make sure render ahead limit is no higher than 2 or 3
Score
January 8, 2012 2:00:53 PM

HEXiT said:
check your nvidia panel and make sure render ahead limit is no higher than 2 or 3

Yep i have done that. I set it to 0, apparently that is supposed to help
Score
January 8, 2012 7:46:16 PM

set it to default. then either add 1 or reduce it by 1. more than that will cause mouse lag. but if you have mouse lag then adjusting it by +/-1 or at the most +/-2 on a badly bottlenecked system will counteract the mouse lag. setting it to 0 is likely just to cause lag but it will be exactly opposed to what you had previously. im not saying this is the fix. just that it may help.
Score
January 8, 2012 10:28:53 PM

HEXiT said:
set it to default. then either add 1 or reduce it by 1. more than that will cause mouse lag. but if you have mouse lag then adjusting it by +/-1 or at the most +/-2 on a badly bottlenecked system will counteract the mouse lag. setting it to 0 is likely just to cause lag but it will be exactly opposed to what you had previously. im not saying this is the fix. just that it may help.

Okay I tried that and it did not fix the problem. The thing is, it isn't just that game. Here is how things work out

1. Play MW3/Minecraft and it works fine
2. Works fine forever
3. Exit out load up Skyrim
4. Exit out of Skyrim after 10sec (doesn't matter how long)
5. Load up MW3
6. After 3min of playing mouse lag appears
7. Exit out of MW3 and try to play Minecraft
8. Minecraft lags just as bad
9. Try Skyrim which works fine
10. Nothing works so restart system

Obviously the thing is to not load Skyrim, but I like both games, and it is annoying how something like this can happen. It must have to do with some information Skyrim loads onto the system. it is so wierd ._.
Score
!