File extentions renaming - NOT

Hi Guys,
This may appear to you as silly but it isn't to me.
When I try to rename a file extention i.e. "x.exe to x.ex~" the file renames
to "x.ex~.exe" - confuses me.(parenthesis just to highlight example)
Under previous O/S's before XP this wasn't a problem but is now.
Please advise me how to achieve this with XP.
TIA -=- DustyV

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:327AFCFB-061E-4D56-AB63-862539DD78A9@microsoft.com,
dustyv <dustyv@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> Hi Guys,
> This may appear to you as silly but it isn't to me.
> When I try to rename a file extention i.e. "x.exe to x.ex~" the file
> renames to "x.ex~.exe" - confuses me.(parenthesis just to highlight
> example)
> Under previous O/S's before XP this wasn't a problem but is now.
> Please advise me how to achieve this with XP.
> TIA -=- DustyV

I think that I've only seen this happen in cases where the option was
checked to hide known file type extensions. Open My Computer, click Tools,
click Options, click View, untick the option to hide file extensions for
known file types. Does that do the trick?

Galen