AO Professions

Last response: in Video Games
December 31, 2004 11:48:05 AM

So at this point I've played almost every profession allowed to the free
accounts (Keeper and Shade require an expansion, and any expansion not
only costs money, which wouldn't bother me, but changes the account from
free to monthly fee... and at the moment, I'm not committed enough to AO
to start paying a fee). Here's my breakdown of the professions:

Adventurer. This was the first profession I played, and I need to go
back and revisit it, because I didn't know enough about the game to
really know what was going on. From the start, though, its a pretty
good one, with healing nanos and a skill set which makes dual weilding
eitehr ranged or melee fairly cheap. From the forums, it appears that
this profession is second best at healing, which makes it sound very
attractive particularly for soloing. Groups don't seem to be very
excited about the class, at least at low levels, demanding doctors since
they seem more dedicated to heals.

Engineer. Again, I still didn't know a whole lot about AO when I ran
this guy, so my experience was tainted, running 7 levels or so with just
the starting nano, which in the case of engineer is somewhat crippling,
like runnning around in EQ at level 8 with your level 1 pet.

Enforcer. I found this the least likable profession I tried, although
possibly part of that was going the Atrox route; everyone says that you
should use a big two hander, but the first nano you get increases your
1hb skill instead. Only did 3 levels with the guy, very hard to get
gear on or do much of anything due to his twisted starting stats; I
imagine some of this was inexperience on my part, and also that after
getting out of the starting levels the difference caused by a few low
stats wouldn't be so noticable, offset by the high starting stats in
other areas.

Doctor. Here, on the other hand, is a very viable profession at the low
end of the game, of course it helps that by here I finally had a good
idea of how progression should work. Sort of the flip side of an
adventurer, concentrate on one ranged weapon, perhaps dual weilding, but
better at healing, best in the game for this, plus some decent buffing.
Surprisingly this worked really well for soloing too, because in AO
you don't seem to get interrupted much, and the targetting system means
you can primary target your prey, secondary yourself, and heal as
needed. From the web forums, apparantly you can still do this in the
200+ range, and the highly efficient heals means that a somewhat lower
damage output doesn't matter, you can still solo bosses nobody else can,
because you can simply outlast them.

Soldier. By this point I had a pretty good idea how the game works, at
least in the low end; I decided to commit to this guy up to 25 before
going back to playing the field. No heals, but a variety of buffs, from
skill ups to HP boosts, to AC increases, to some that reduce incoming
damage and in some cases reflect a portion of it back to the attacker.
Biggest problem I found was not having the NCU to run all the buff lines
on myself! Well, that and running low on IP points trying to keep
weapons and nanos and so on all in good shape. Finally at 24 I found
out I could buy more NCU from stores, and almost doubled my NCU
capacity. I still know comparatively little about the game over 10, and
this characters suffered from that, but its a foray into the realm anyway.

Martial Artist. Many people love this one, I'm not one of them. I
tried going weaponless, what this means is that you can't upgrade your
weaponry; every other class can get upgraded damage output within a few
levels of starting the game, to a point where you won't be able to do
better till your mid teens unless you have a rich uncle on the mainland.
I tried Bow as an alternative, but then wasn't able to use any of the
special martial arts skills I was in the class for in the first place.

Metaphysician. Didn't go too far with this one either, basically a pet
and nuke class, but as with all classes at the low levels, the nukes
were underwhelming, and I didn't like the pets much either. Apparantly
at higher levels you can run multiple pets, some of which will heal and
so on, which might be interesting; I didn't get that far.

Trader. Never did figure out the point of this profession; relatively
poor at combat, skills geared to a variety of buffs, one interesting
thing was the ability to charm a target... but doing so, at least at low
levels, means being rooted in place yourself, and given the spacing
between mobs in missions, this means you end up putting the charmed pet
on "hunt" mode, and sitting around waiting for exp messages to roll in
or the pet to break charm. Oh the thrill.

Agent. Nano's oriented around concealment, and the profession is
oriented around sneaking and sniping. Trouble is, in my experience, its
difficult to set up a sniper shot, because the mobs tend to know you are
there unless you've been sneaking from well away from them; their
awareness range is much larger than their aggro range. If you do manage
to set up a sniper shot, its unimpressive, similar to the damage done by
a weapon on full auto... but unlike this shot, no matter how long the
combat goes on you are never going to get another sniper shot in. I'm
told that eventually the damage done by sniping becomes very dramatic.
The other thing that agents can do is fake other professions, using this
talent to put on gear restricted to other professions, and to use nanos
from other professions. I didn't manage to do this at all, you need
100NCU just to run those nanos... and at the time I hadn't figured out
how that was possible. Of course its by getting a good multislot belt
and loading up 5 good memories into the deck slots; some expense
involved, but not impossible at even a low level I guess. Off limits,
though, are the pet nanos, which is a pity because that was my first
thought for using this part of the profession.

Bureaucrat. This is my current project, its another pet class, starts
out with no pet oddly, but several are in the package sold on the
island. In addition, you've got direct damage nano, and something that
looks like a mez; the latter hasn't been useful so far because mobs
don't come double on the island much, and its not hard to pull singles
in the subway or on missions, at least at low levels. From my soldier
experience, it should come in more handy at higher levels. Of the three
pet classes, this is the one that looks most interesting to me, in part
perhaps because the pet looks much more cool than the automaton of the
engineer or the Anger Manifestation of the metaphysicians.

I haven't tried the Fixer yet, nor the Nanotech. I'm not sure what the
fixer is supposed to be, the Nanotech looks like a nuke oriented class,
which my experience with other classes suggests is going to be painful
at low levels, where there are no nano replenishment devices to be had.

More about : professions

Anonymous
December 31, 2004 11:48:06 AM

On the calendar, in the box marked 12/31/2004 5:48 AM ^ Lance Berg
scratched:
> Soldier. By this point I had a pretty good idea how the game works, at
> least in the low end; I decided to commit to this guy up to 25 before
> going back to playing the field. No heals, but a variety of buffs, from
> skill ups to HP boosts, to AC increases, to some that reduce incoming
> damage and in some cases reflect a portion of it back to the attacker.
> Biggest problem I found was not having the NCU to run all the buff lines
> on myself! Well, that and running low on IP points trying to keep
> weapons and nanos and so on all in good shape. Finally at 24 I found
> out I could buy more NCU from stores, and almost doubled my NCU
> capacity. I still know comparatively little about the game over 10, and
> this characters suffered from that, but its a foray into the realm anyway.

One thing of interest - in the Subway after you get of the starting
island, a fairly common uncommon drop is called Morphing Memory.
Basically a memory unit that upgrades with you just like the modified
newcomer's armor. It only fits in NCU slot 1, so you can only get one,
but definitely worth going to get.

> Martial Artist. Many people love this one, I'm not one of them. I
> tried going weaponless, what this means is that you can't upgrade your
> weaponry; every other class can get upgraded damage output within a few
> levels of starting the game, to a point where you won't be able to do
> better till your mid teens unless you have a rich uncle on the mainland.
> I tried Bow as an alternative, but then wasn't able to use any of the
> special martial arts skills I was in the class for in the first place.

I understand your unarmed damage goes up as you level, but I haven't
played my MA past the first few levels. This was the first profession I
played, so I haven't gone back to revisit it yet. :-)

> I haven't tried the Fixer yet, nor the Nanotech. I'm not sure what the
> fixer is supposed to be, the Nanotech looks like a nuke oriented class,
> which my experience with other classes suggests is going to be painful
> at low levels, where there are no nano replenishment devices to be had.

Fixer is my current pet profession. They're primary weapons are
MG/SMGs. The only oddity I've found with this is that the upgraded
solar SMG you get on the starting island can be dual wielded, and I
haven't discovered an SMG since then that can be dual wielded, so
upgrading my weapon is getting difficult. However, the nanos that
Fixers get help out, since you're looking at damage buffs, HoT's, and
weapon skill buffs. My Fixer is only 23 or so now, so I haven't picked
up any of the Grid spells which allow access to the grid, or give you
big run speed buffs.

Inyidd
--
Nyarlathotep casts a spell
Anonymous

Justin H. wrote:

> On the calendar, in the box marked 12/31/2004 5:48 AM ^ Lance Berg
> scratched:
>
>>Soldier. By this point I had a pretty good idea how the game works, at
>>least in the low end; I decided to commit to this guy up to 25 before
>>going back to playing the field. No heals, but a variety of buffs, from
>>skill ups to HP boosts, to AC increases, to some that reduce incoming
>>damage and in some cases reflect a portion of it back to the attacker.
>>Biggest problem I found was not having the NCU to run all the buff lines
>>on myself! Well, that and running low on IP points trying to keep
>>weapons and nanos and so on all in good shape. Finally at 24 I found
>>out I could buy more NCU from stores, and almost doubled my NCU
>>capacity. I still know comparatively little about the game over 10, and
>>this characters suffered from that, but its a foray into the realm anyway.
>

> One thing of interest - in the Subway after you get of the starting
> island, a fairly common uncommon drop is called Morphing Memory.
> Basically a memory unit that upgrades with you just like the modified
> newcomer's armor. It only fits in NCU slot 1, so you can only get one,
> but definitely worth going to get.

Yep, I had one of those, and they are one of the leveling items, if you
get your skills up (they are skill based, not level based like the
Omni/Clan newcommer armor) you can push them up a ways. But I only got
mine up to 4 NCU, and a 9 NCU belt still only got me to 13. I even had
a couple other pieces that gave me another couple NCU... but 15 NCU
still only let me use half my own nano buffs, much less accepting anyone
else's. Discovering I could buy an NCU unit in the subway that brought
that up to 25 made a huge difference, since it fit in deck slot 2. I
need a better belt, so I can fill all five deck slots, then maybe I'd be
able to get some real buffs running!

Lance
Currently playing 9th level OmniTech Bureaucrat "Coallate" (with my
trusty worker, "Paperwork") on the Atlantean server
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
January 1, 2005 10:37:11 AM

Lance Berg wrote:

> Currently playing 9th level OmniTech Bureaucrat "Coallate" (with my
> trusty worker, "Paperwork") on the Atlantean server

Played this guy some more last night, got a team where I was several
levels below the rest, and went from 9 to 13 in an hour or so in the
subway, again including some down time when people wiped. Once, it came
down to just me and an atrox enforcer, then we killed the baby boss and
two henchmen by ourselves, because I was able to keep the henchmen
mezzed...before this point the group was trying to take down all three,
but when it got to one guy, plus my pet working on his target, there was
nobody waking the two adds. Parallels to low level party frustrations
as an EQ enchanter couldn't be more clear! At another point, everyone
wiped but me to a bigger mini boss, I sicced pet on boss and ran for the
exit... so that year of experience playing an EQ mage came in handy too!

At any rate, at this point the group dissolved due to dinner times and
so on, but me and the Agent I'd started the team with drifted up to the
shops, where I got an invite into an organization (aka guild), and a
hundred Kcr (because his guildmate had given him a million and he felt
like sharing). I've still only spent about half of that cash, but I
filled in all the basic implant slots and bought several nanos,
including some I wouldn't normally be able to use yet; more on that in a
bit.

Then we got together another team, the agent, me, and two doctors, and
went and did some missions. As I was low man in the group, every mob we
killed was "you can't kill this" red (low reds con [lower case t is the
con button, for those who haven't figured it out] their level, even if
I'm 12 and they are 19... have to be really high to refuse to tell me
level) but I was still hitting with most shots from my pistol, on the
down side, my pet wasn't hitting nearly as often as I'd like, even when
I was running a level 18 pet (while still 15). I leveled up pretty fast
on these missions, and they were a nice change from subway, but one of
the doctors hogged most of the loot, and since I was sitting on that
100k bonus, I wasn't going to argue.

So, an 18 pet on a 15 'Crat? Yep, I was actually doing this even at 9th
level on practically no money; nanos (and most things in the game) don't
care about your level, they care about your skill. Now you do have caps
as to how high your skills can go at a given level, but they relate only
to your IP expenditure. On top of that, you can have clothes, weapons,
implants... and nano's running in your NCU. In the basic shop Nano
area, there's a generic vendor which has nano's anyone can run, some
pretty useless ones that debuff one skill a few points, but mixed in
there are some that will buff one skill or ability. Just 6 or 12
points, but still. With a 6 point buff and a stupid QL2 pillow I looted
on the newbie island, I was able to run a level 10 pet at level 9; have
to have buff and gear in place to mem the nano, then again when you want
to use it to make a shell, and again when you want to use the shell.
But once the pet is up and running, I could put away my pillow and equip
my pair of guns again; apparantly if the pet is -much- higher than your
current level you can lose control of him when skill levels drop, but
what I was doing didn't fall into that.

With the added cash, I was able to get implants and more expensive nanos
that buffed my skills up to where I could run a pet several levels
higher than my own... and thats still with minimal labor; what I really
need to do is look even more closely into getting those specific skills
up with implants, and getting a better pillow or other gear to raise my
skills further.

On our last mission, I did get one piece of loot, a fairly decent little
pistol (nothing astonishing, but an upgrade to the island stuff).
Trouble is, it required a 123 pistol skill to equip! Now Pistol is the
one weapon skill I've kept maxed, but that still put it at a mere 76
even with the generic cheapest set of 'Crat implants. I ditched one of
those implants and bought an adventurer one instead, that had pistol
skill on it (the generics, which I bought at the behest of my Org.mate
and in the interest of getting back to playing quickly, have somewhat of
a scattershot of skills), and bought a generic pistol skill buff from
the general nano vendor, coupling those with a 'crat only nano that
raises pistol 20 points (stacks with the generic one, luckily), I was
finally able to push up to being able to equip the thing. If I'm not
running the two skill buff nanos in my NCU, though, it only functions at
75% efficiency, and I'd be better off with the originals!

Funny thing is, at this point I'm prone to chain cast my DD nano while
letting pet whomp on target, with the guns only going off as a
supplement, mostly when Fling comes up. Damage output from DD seems
more reliable than gunshots. All this effort put into the pistol was
really only A) to please my guildmate who made a point of having the
greedy looting doctor give me the thing when it dropped, and B) to
experiment with how such things are done. In the end, guns probably
aren't too important to my profession, but the ins and outs of how to
equip higher QL gear (and nanos) are probably the key to the game.

Seems to me the next thing for me to conquer will be making my own
implants; the class based ones have a really spotty mix, its as though I
had gone thru and spent my IP evenly covering every skill I might
concievably use, instead of concentrating on the ones best suited to my
play style. I mean, really one has pistol, but another has shotgun... I
can't afford to be buffing multiple weapons skills, I need to pick one
and stick with it. This topic looks more confusing then I'd thought,
though, individual skills come only on very specific body part
locations; a different one for each of shiny, bright, and... whatever
that third category is. So I can't just fill one of the three slots in
every part with Pistol, and get pistol skill up to 200; at best I'll be
able to run 3 pistol buff implants... unless whats available in the
Basic trade shop isn't representative of things worldwide.

What skills to raise? This is another key question. Looks like Pistol
(when not going after impossibly tough mobs, it will be nice not to be
blowing mana on DD and still have a damage output that isnt'
embarassing... particularly when soloing), the two for pet creation, the
two for DD, and the two for mezzing, plus first aid and treatment, both
the latter meaning bigger heals/nano replenishments both during and
between fights; treatment also controls implantation of implants. Nine
skills I really care about, the rest are incedentals to be covered when
I already have the best in those nine slots.

The storebought Implants are funny, about half of them have only two
skills installed, the Shiny slot is empty on each of those. So the most
obvious path would be to buy bigger versions of those (the QL on the
cheapest ones is too low to allow installation of the skills the vending
machines sell), and then add the Shiny to them. Not sure that those are
actually skills I care about though. Lack of an Allakhazam type source
of information on this game is killing me!

"Coal" Coallate, 16 Bureaucrat Omni, El33t Society, Atlantean

ps a long series of pets with names running from Papercut to Paperclip
to Spindle, add a lot of amusement, this is a bet EQ really missed,
naming your own pet is fun stuff!
January 2, 2005 4:00:44 AM

"Lance Berg" <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in message

> The storebought Implants are funny, about half of them have only two
> skills installed, the Shiny slot is empty on each of those. So the most
> obvious path would be to buy bigger versions of those (the QL on the
> cheapest ones is too low to allow installation of the skills the vending
> machines sell), and then add the Shiny to them. Not sure that those are
> actually skills I care about though. Lack of an Allakhazam type source
> of information on this game is killing me!
>
> "Coal" Coallate, 16 Bureaucrat Omni, El33t Society, Atlantean

Get yourself a copy of a program called Nano Nanny....it helps you plan out
your implants and even lets your print out a list of 'clusters' you need to
buy if making your implants from scratch.

If you are making a set of implants for yourself, start familiarising
yourself with all the AO help sites. Several of them have guides on getting
implants far above your level in, so that at level 25 you can wear level
50ish implants.

Satanete , 124 Martial Artist Clan, Vagrant Legionnaires, Atlantean
(wearing a set of 210 implants) retired
!