Looking for a portable, wireless Internet accessible compu..

I'm looking for a wireless phone/Internet accessible computer that is
small in size and has the following functionality:

1. Need high-speed Internet access. The faster the better.
2. Need to be able to attach a keyboard at least. Mouse and monitor
would be good. Should have a build in tiny keyboard.
3. Linux friendly would be good.

Essentially I'm looking for a small client that I can use instead of a
laptop.

--Ram
4 answers Last reply
More about looking portable wireless internet accessible compu

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:54:54 +0000 (UTC), Ram Samudrala
    <ram@public.compbio.washington.edu> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a wireless phone/Internet accessible computer that is
    >small in size and has the following functionality:
    >
    >1. Need high-speed Internet access. The faster the better.
    >2. Need to be able to attach a keyboard at least. Mouse and monitor
    > would be good. Should have a build in tiny keyboard.
    >3. Linux friendly would be good.
    >
    >Essentially I'm looking for a small client that I can use instead of a
    >laptop.

    It would be nice to know what OS and applications you plan to run on
    this machine. Such minor details largely determine the horsepower
    required.

    I've built a few machines based on mini-ITX motherboards. Low power
    consumption was the major requirement.
    See:
    http://www.mini-itx.com
    for some examples (right hand "Projects" side menu). Some are really
    bizarre. For example, the "Attache Server" seems to fit your
    http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/attacheserver/
    Here's one built into a Windoze XP software box:
    http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/windowsxpbox/
    That should give you a clue as to the size.

    There are Linux drivers for at least the Via EPIA series of mini-ITX
    boards.

    I don't understand the requirement for a "wireless phone". Do you
    mean running VoIP over 802.11b/g wireless? No problem.

    Anyway, see if any of the projects above jog your imagination.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Thanks--that's an interesting page. The Attacheserver is a good one in
    terms of computing but I also need a phone line with it, and am also
    looking for an one-stop solution for the phone and the wireless
    Internet services.

    The other post pointing me to
    was what I was looking for, but the reason I posted was because all
    these choices leave me confused. I was hoping to get some feedback as
    to good ones to check out before I physically went into stores and
    tested them.

    An interesting choice I've come across is the EVDO technology with a
    laptop. But this makes the phone capability somewhat
    cumbersome. Essentially the functionality I'm looking for is a snappy
    mobile phone (where I can actually log in to my machines here and check
    e-mail using elm, edit using emacs, etc. without too much hassle) with
    EVDO-like technology for wireless Internet. This "mobile phone"
    essentially acts as a phone, or as a dumb terminal and peripherals
    such as a mouse can be connected to make its use easier.

    --Ram

    > On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 01:54:54 +0000 (UTC), Ram Samudrala
    > <ram@public.compbio.washington.edu> wrote:

    >>I'm looking for a wireless phone/Internet accessible computer that is
    >>small in size and has the following functionality:
    >>
    >>1. Need high-speed Internet access. The faster the better.
    >>2. Need to be able to attach a keyboard at least. Mouse and monitor
    >> would be good. Should have a build in tiny keyboard.
    >>3. Linux friendly would be good.
    >>
    >>Essentially I'm looking for a small client that I can use instead of a
    >>laptop.

    > It would be nice to know what OS and applications you plan to run on
    > this machine. Such minor details largely determine the horsepower
    > required.

    > I've built a few machines based on mini-ITX motherboards. Low power
    > consumption was the major requirement.
    > See:
    > http://www.mini-itx.com
    > for some examples (right hand "Projects" side menu). Some are really
    > bizarre. For example, the "Attache Server" seems to fit your
    > http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/attacheserver/
    > Here's one built into a Windoze XP software box:
    > http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/windowsxpbox/
    > That should give you a clue as to the size.

    > There are Linux drivers for at least the Via EPIA series of mini-ITX
    > boards.

    > I don't understand the requirement for a "wireless phone". Do you
    > mean running VoIP over 802.11b/g wireless? No problem.

    > Anyway, see if any of the projects above jog your imagination.

    > Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
    > AE6KS 831-336-2558

    I've researched this issue thoroughly. The reason I want to do this
    now is that for the first time, there's a technology called EVDO that
    allows for broadband access speed over cellphone frequencies
    (http://dts.vzw.com/faqs/VZAccess/faq_natlbrdbandaccess.html?sp_link=1#item3).
    This is what I've learnt: Most current Blackberries (in fact, all, as
    far as I know) do not have broadband speeds that arises as a result of
    the phone (i.e., not wi-fi). Verizon is the only company that has the
    most roll-out--in other words, I can get this speed in most major
    cities in the country and then some. And Verizon has two phones that
    can do this, including a Samsung (which is a Blackberry-like device).

    So there are two solutions, and I've decided to go with both:

    1. A Samsung SCH-i730 phone/portable computer which is about $600.00
    with a two-year contract. This would be combined with a voice/data
    plan costing $85/month.

    2. A PC card for my laptop which provides the same functionality
    without voice capability (Verizon Wireless PC 5220) which should be
    about $100 with a two-year contract and a data only plan that costs
    $80/month.

    This is the technology I've been waiting for. I hope it works as
    promised.

    --Ram

Wireless Wireless Internet Internet Wireless Networking