Stupidest... question... ever

zombiewhacker

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
For three years, my P3-667 clone has run flawlessly, so I've never needed to open it for any reason. But this week I bought a TV tuner, and when I went to install it I made an embarassing discovery.

Quite simply... um... I don't know how to open the case!

The case for my old AT had screws holding it in place, so that was easy to figure out, but this one seems to have no screws, only two sliding latches in back, each marked with an arrow. When I slide the latches over, one side panel seems to detach slightly; however, it's still so tightly wedged in I can't pull it out, and the rest of the ATX case doesn't budge at all.

At the risk of eternal ridicule and banishment from these boards... uh... anyone know how I might open my computer case?

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
Use a saw, if the case is that badly designed it aint worth having.

P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
it probly slides one way or another, if it doesnt slide or pull out try shaking it and rocking it. that could loosen it. but seriously, what kind of pos do you have there?

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Many side panels have to be slid backwards about 1 inch before they can be pulled out, you might see if that works.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

zombiewhacker

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
Thanks for your responses.

Anyway... now I feel like an even bigger doofus than before, if that's possible. Allow me to explain:

First, I finally got the case open. (It's manufactured by SPM/Portland, if that matters to anybody.)

It turns out after you slide the switches open, you're supposed to slide out the TOP panel of the computer first. Once you remove the top panel, then the side panel slides out. Intuitve, right? Anyway, even after I figured that out, I still had trouble because the top panel was wedged in pretty tight.

Anyway, now that I've opened it, I've found (to my embarassment) that I don't know how to remove the damn metal slat in the back of the chassis which covers the empty PCI slot. I figured I would just be able to slide out, like my old AT chassis, but NOOOOO, these slats won't budge.

I know what you're thinking: "Death to all n00bs." But I'd appreciate any help you folks can give me, anyway.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
OK, some slide in from the top, others are screwed in from the top, and a few are simple knock-outs. Knock-outs are removable use-once parts.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, I usually punch-out with my fist, but in this case I think a screwdriver would do :smile:

Best idea is to push on a weak spot away from the attachment points.

dhlucke

Polypheme
When you get an extra $50 or so, you should buy a new case. Anything sounds better than the one you have and you could pick up something more fun as well as easy to use while you're at it.

<font color=red>_____________________________________________</font color=red>
Nov. 6, 1971: "I gave back, I can't remember, six, seven, eight, nine medals"

- John Kerry, a Presidential Candidate
<font color=blue>{FDA}