hi

when i try to open some programmes i get the following message with the
above subject.
C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chooses close to terminate the
application.

please help

map

"nhamo" wrote:

> hi
>
> when i try to open some programmes i get the following message with the
> above subject.
> C:\ WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXE.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Chooses close to terminate the
> application.
>
> please help

This is from a newsletter I subscribe to.

Autoexec.NT Problems Growing?
Fred, For the past few weeks on our forum we've been getting complaints
about XP throwing off the following message when a user tries to run a 16 bit
program:

16 bit Windows Subsystem: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file
is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose
"Close" to terminate the application.

It turns out that there is some malware going around that's deleting the
autoexec.nt file from the \windows\system32 folder. The fix, for now, is to
copy the backup autoexec.nt from \windows\repair to \windows\system32 and
then to run av and spyware checks with Spybot, AdAware and whatever AV
program the user has (all with the latest definitions, of course). I'm not
sure if the specific malware has been identified yet, but the above process
does seem to solve the problem. Hope your readers can benefit from this.