Sign in with
Your question

Win98 Defragmenter Stops at 69%???

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
April 8, 2001 9:13:20 PM

When i defragged my hard drive it stops at 69% and then it restarts at 51% until it reaches 69% and stop and over and over..... . So i stop defragging and started again. The same thing. I let it runs its course and after 20 hours of doing the same thing i stop it or it would of stop at 69% and started at 51%, forever. Why will it not continue after 69%? I am using Win98Se Defragmenter.
Thanks,
Dave
April 9, 2001 2:51:59 AM

Run it is "Safe Mode" and see if you have the same problems.

*:o )

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>
April 9, 2001 3:16:13 AM

Sounds like some errors on the drive that scandisk isn't catching. You might try running scandisk from the boot floppy, and then run a 'thorough' scan.
Related resources
April 12, 2001 4:41:01 AM

That did it!!! I ran it in safemode and now it works fine.
Thanks Lars!!!!
Dave
April 12, 2001 7:04:58 PM

No Problem .. I am glad things are working! *:o )

<font color=green>"Your call will be answered by the next available Tech Support representative"</font color=green>
April 17, 2001 9:52:41 PM

Use the close down dialog box and shut everything down including your antiviruse. You probably have something running in the background which writes to the drive so then the defrager needs to start over. Get a copy of Norton System works the defragger in the bundle is much faster and more relieable than the one inside Windows (both made by symantec).
!