Win XP not detecting USB ports.

I have a Presario 5600s
I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
party driver sites. Help please.
9 answers Last reply
More about detecting ports

    Hmmm. The Root Hub shows, but the USB Host Controller does not?
    HH

    <Quavel> wrote in message news:rl1ld0dd2vdrlf4icg6ol36j8d57ejen4v@4ax.com...
    > I have a Presario 5600s
    > I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
    > I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
    > Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
    > The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
    > nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
    > also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
    > party driver sites. Help please.

    OOPS sorry (tired last night when I posted) the "VIA Rev 2 USB
    Universial Host controler" does show. This morning I have tried to
    update the drivers and also force a Rev 4 host drivers and still not
    detecting any thing that is pluged into the ports. The weiredest thing
    is that I get power off the USB Ports my portable HDD lights up for
    power.

    On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:24:16 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Hmmm. The Root Hub shows, but the USB Host Controller does not?
    >HH
    >
    ><Quavel> wrote in message news:rl1ld0dd2vdrlf4icg6ol36j8d57ejen4v@4ax.com...
    >> I have a Presario 5600s
    >> I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
    >> I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
    >> Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
    >> The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
    >> nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
    >> also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
    >> party driver sites. Help please.

    Dunno.Maybe this is one of those rare instances where an OS upgrade, rather
    than a clean install, is called for. I believe Tom Scales, a regular poster
    on this NG, has a 5600 series PC, anfd I'm almost certain he installed XP on
    it. Maybe he will see the thread and offer a tip.
    HH

    <Quavel> wrote in message news:jnsld05vc4suh731o8mv6aib0muk3so3ii@4ax.com...
    > OOPS sorry (tired last night when I posted) the "VIA Rev 2 USB
    > Universial Host controler" does show. This morning I have tried to
    > update the drivers and also force a Rev 4 host drivers and still not
    > detecting any thing that is pluged into the ports. The weiredest thing
    > is that I get power off the USB Ports my portable HDD lights up for
    > power.
    >
    > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:24:16 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hmmm. The Root Hub shows, but the USB Host Controller does not?
    > >HH
    > >
    > ><Quavel> wrote in message
    > >> I have a Presario 5600s
    > >> I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
    > >> I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
    > >> Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
    > >> The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
    > >> nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
    > >> also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
    > >> party driver sites. Help please.

    Is the 5600i and the 5600s the same basic machine? I have a pair of 5600i
    machines (one P3-450 and one P3-500) and they both had clean XP Pro
    installs. USB works just fine.

    Tom
    "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dunno.Maybe this is one of those rare instances where an OS upgrade,
    rather
    > than a clean install, is called for. I believe Tom Scales, a regular
    poster
    > on this NG, has a 5600 series PC, anfd I'm almost certain he installed XP
    on
    > it. Maybe he will see the thread and offer a tip.
    > HH
    >
    > <Quavel> wrote in message
    > > OOPS sorry (tired last night when I posted) the "VIA Rev 2 USB
    > > Universial Host controler" does show. This morning I have tried to
    > > update the drivers and also force a Rev 4 host drivers and still not
    > > detecting any thing that is pluged into the ports. The weiredest thing
    > > is that I get power off the USB Ports my portable HDD lights up for
    > > power.
    > >
    > > On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 06:24:16 -0400, "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hmmm. The Root Hub shows, but the USB Host Controller does not?
    > > >HH
    > > >
    > > ><Quavel> wrote in message

    Don't think so, Tom. The 5600s series were VIA chipset boxes with K6/III
    processors.
    HH
    > Is the 5600i and the 5600s the same basic machine? I have a pair of 5600i
    > machines (one P3-450 and one P3-500) and they both had clean XP Pro
    > installs. USB works just fine.
    >
    > Tom
    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Dunno.Maybe this is one of those rare instances where an OS upgrade,
    > rather
    > > than a clean install, is called for. I believe Tom Scales, a regular
    > poster
    > > on this NG, has a 5600 series PC, anfd I'm almost certain he installed
    XP
    > on
    > > it. Maybe he will see the thread and offer a tip.
    > > HH
    > >
    > > <Quavel> wrote in message
    > > > OOPS sorry (tired last night when I posted) the "VIA Rev 2 USB
    > > > Universial Host controler" does show. This morning I have tried to
    > > > update the drivers and also force a Rev 4 host drivers and still not
    > > > detecting any thing that is pluged into the ports. The weiredest thing
    > > > is that I get power off the USB Ports my portable HDD lights up for
    > > > power.

    > and

  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Yeah, the Via threw me. None of my Compaqs had the Via chipset. I seem to
    recall they were very flaky

    > Don't think so, Tom. The 5600s series were VIA chipset boxes with K6/III
    > processors.
    > HH
    > > Is the 5600i and the 5600s the same basic machine? I have a pair of
    5600i
    > > machines (one P3-450 and one P3-500) and they both had clean XP Pro
    > > installs. USB works just fine.
    > >
    > > Tom
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Tom, They could be. The strange thing is the VIA chipset Celeron and PIII
    5700s were reasonably stable. I used a 5716 PIII/450 as a production unit
    for more than a year with zero issues, first with Win 98SE and later with
    W2K.
    HH

    > Yeah, the Via threw me. None of my Compaqs had the Via chipset. I seem to
    > recall they were very flaky
    >
    > Tom
    > "HH" <hahunt42@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Don't think so, Tom. The 5600s series were VIA chipset boxes with K6/III
    > > processors.
    > > HH
    > > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    > > > Is the 5600i and the 5600s the same basic machine? I have a pair of
    > 5600i
    > > > machines (one P3-450 and one P3-500) and they both had clean XP Pro
    > > > installs. USB works just fine.
    > > >
    > > > Tom

  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Quavel wrote:
    > I have a Presario 5600s
    > I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
    > I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
    > Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
    > The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
    > nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
    > also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
    > party driver sites. Help please.

    A couple of things to try: In BIOS setup, if there is a setting for
    Legacy USB, try enabling that. Make sure that Plug and Play Operating
    System is enabled, if that is in there. Also, have you installed XP SP1
    and the USB update? Neither should be required for low speed USB, but
    one never knows just what is in these updates.

    As a last resort, remove *everything* USB from Device Manager, reboot,
    and see if now that you have the VIA drivers, that everything gets
    properly enumerated and installed.

  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

    Thank you all for your input on this system. I final got so fed up
    with it and put a USB PCI card in it and disabled the onboard USB and
    sent it back to the customer. He was happy since he got a faster USB
    card than was orignaly installed. Again I realy apritiate the input.
    Please let me know if I can help in the future.

    On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:04:22 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
    wrote:

    >Quavel wrote:
    >> I have a Presario 5600s
    >> I had Win 98 installed and the USB ports worked fine under that OS.
    >> I wiped and installed XP home and now the USB ports will not work.
    >> Any idea how to fix this or work around it?
    >> The weird thing is that the Root hub shows in Device manager but
    >> nothing else. I have uninstalled everything and let XP redetect it and
    >> also have updated the drivers from VIA Compaq/HP and even some third
    >> party driver sites. Help please.
    >
    >A couple of things to try: In BIOS setup, if there is a setting for
    >Legacy USB, try enabling that. Make sure that Plug and Play Operating
    >System is enabled, if that is in there. Also, have you installed XP SP1
    >and the USB update? Neither should be required for low speed USB, but
    >one never knows just what is in these updates.
    >
    >As a last resort, remove *everything* USB from Device Manager, reboot,
    >and see if now that you have the VIA drivers, that everything gets
    >properly enumerated and installed.

Compaq Windows XP USB Computers