New PSU for my nForce2 board

forthill

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
I have an Enlight ATX case with a vanilla 350W PSU (came with the case from newegg). I am buying a new mobo and stuff (probably a KX18D or an ABit NF-7) and I think I need a new PSU. Or maybe not?
Anyway, I'm not sure if my PSU has 13A on the 12V rail and I understand that the nForce2 boards require 15A on the 12V rail.

So can anyone recommend a decent PSU for me as well as a suggestion as to where I might purchase it (at a reasonable price). I'm not looking for anything fancy or necessarily super quiet or even expensive.

Thanks,
forthill

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Didn't it come with an Enlight power supply? Those are medium duty/medium quality and would probably work fine.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

forthill

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Crashman -
Yes it did come with an enlight PSU (and as I found out last night it is only 300W with 13A on the 12V rail). So besides the fact that I don't think 300W is enough for now and/or the near future I still seem to think that the nForce2 boards require 15A on the 12V rail.

Anyone know?
Thanks,
forthill

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Fortron Source 400W at Newegg is relatively inexpensive and high quality.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
Why would the chipset alone need 15A on the 12V rail. It seems dumb, since so much of that is decided by the components you add. How do they know if you're going to run 6 10000RPM hdds, 2 optical, GeForce 6800, and 6 case fans, OR 1 ide 5400RPM hard drive, 1 cd rom reader,crappy gfx card, 1 case fan?