System Restore and a Virus

April 16, 2005 4:32:33 AM

I got a virus and couldn't boot normally except in safe mode. I decided to
do a system restore. All is well now but I wonder the virus is still there
right....so what happens to it. Its not deleted.

Thanks
Bob

More about : system restore virus

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:32:34 AM

Hi Bob,

Do a new virus scan of the system and see if it picks up the virus. If
it's found in one of the System Restore (System Volume Information)
folders it will be dormant until a restore is done witch includes that
restore point. Once the system is found to be stable all the System
Restore folder can be purged to remove the virus by disabling and then
enabling SR.

How to Disable and Enable System Restore
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/disablesr.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Bob wrote:
> I got a virus and couldn't boot normally except in safe
> mode. I decided to do a system restore. All is well now
> but I wonder the virus is still there right....so what
> happens to it. Its not deleted.
> Thanks
> Bob
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:53:05 AM

Hi Bob

Do you know where on the hard disk/partition the virus is/was? And the name
of the virus?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
>I got a virus and couldn't boot normally except in safe mode. I decided to
>do a system restore. All is well now but I wonder the virus is still there
>right....so what happens to it. Its not deleted.
>
> Thanks
> Bob
Related resources
April 16, 2005 5:56:18 AM

A new virus scan (with Norton) does not detect it. Can system restore be
used to "fix" virus infected systems?

Bob

"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message
> Hi Bob,
>
> Do a new virus scan of the system and see if it picks up the virus. If
> it's found in one of the System Restore (System Volume Information)
> folders it will be dormant until a restore is done witch includes that
> restore point. Once the system is found to be stable all the System
> Restore folder can be purged to remove the virus by disabling and then
> enabling SR.
>
> How to Disable and Enable System Restore
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/disablesr.html
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>

> Bob wrote:
>> I got a virus and couldn't boot normally except in safe
>> mode. I decided to do a system restore. All is well now
>> but I wonder the virus is still there right....so what
>> happens to it. Its not deleted.
>> Thanks
>> Bob

Anonymous
April 16, 2005 5:56:19 AM

Hi Bob,

Well it certainly seems so in your case. As I suggested in my previous
post, the existing restore points should be purged to prevent the
return of the virus in a restore of the system. And as Will suggested,
do an online virus scan also to be on the safe side.

--

Bob wrote:
> A new virus scan (with Norton) does not detect it. Can
> system restore be used to "fix" virus infected systems?
>
> Bob
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Do a new virus scan of the system and see if it picks up
>> the virus. If it's found in one of the System Restore
>> (System Volume Information) folders it will be dormant
>> until a restore is done witch includes that restore
>> point. Once the system is found to be stable all the
>> System Restore folder can be purged to remove the virus
>> by disabling and then enabling SR. How to Disable and Enable System
>> Restore
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/disablesr.html
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>

>> Bob wrote:
>>> I got a virus and couldn't boot normally except in safe
>>> mode. I decided to do a system restore. All is well now
>>> but I wonder the virus is still there right....so what
>>> happens to it. Its not deleted.
>>> Thanks
>>> Bob
April 17, 2005 4:34:02 AM

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi Bob
>
> Do you know where on the hard disk/partition the virus is/was? And the name
> of the virus?
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Bob" <bobdawn1@verizon.net> wrote in message
> >I got a virus and couldn't boot normally except in safe mode. I decided to
> >do a system restore. All is well now but I wonder the virus is still there
> >right....so what happens to it. Its not deleted.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Bob

April 17, 2005 4:37:01 AM

!