compaq power supply sucks please help

0311lifer

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
i have a serious problem right now and i would appreciate any help at all. here are the specs:
p4 2.8ghz h/t
intel 865pe mobo (unknown manufacturer, thanks compaq)
1gb of pc32000 ddr
80gb maxtor hd
audigy 2 sound card
Nvidia Geforce fx 5600
and the problem.... the 250 watt power supply unit
I have been told that compaq decided to make it so you cant replace their power supplies with one of a different make. this power supply is not standard atx size its a little smaller ( im willing to screw in a bigger one somewhere in there if i have to). i really need a new psu because recently i preorderd an ATI x800 xt platinum edition. i dont think this 250 watt psu is going to be enough and im afraid to just go out and buy any other psu because i have heard alot about how it wouldnt work on this compaq. any one with experience with these please help. the model is a compaq presario 8000t.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Compaq had several power supplies/cases that used hard power via a switch to the green wire of what would normally be an ATX power supply. I believe you could sometimes work around that by wiring the green wire of a standard supply to the switch.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
i am having this exact problem as well....i have a slightly older compaq and the 250W isn't cutting it with my GPU. So i can go into any computer store and pull any PSU of the rack and use it? or am i looking for something in paticular? Special wiring?
I am confused with 'green wireing' and all that.
Thanx

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Open your case and see what connections go from your power supply to the motherboard, and what other things are connected.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I didn't say to switch anything. The POWER SWITCH on some Compaqs was wired directly to the power supply like old AT power supplies used, but it used the "green" wire of an ATX power supply instead. The green wire on an ATX power supply is the one that turns it on.

Normally you have an ATX board and an ATX power supply, and a power button on the case that's momentary contact. When you hit the power, the board grounds the green wire and hold it grounded until you shut down the system. But on some Compaqs they wired the green wire to an on/off switch at the front of the case.

0311lifer

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2004
No this one looks just like a regular ATX power supply is hooked up. i went in and looked at it myself and the only two things that were connected to the mother board are the the standard ATX connector and the 12 volt connector. heres what it says on the side of the psu:
Hipro Model # HP-D2537F3R rev.1
AC Input(46-63Hz): 100-127v/6A
200-240v/4A
DC Output: +5V /25A , +12V /14A
+3.3V /18A , -12V /0.8A
+5VSB /2A
+5v & +3.3V SHALL NOT EXCEED 165W
+5v & +12V SHALL NOT EXCEED 218W
MAX. OUTPUT POWER: 250W

From mobo to power/restart etc.. button and LED's:
green Black red black empty
yellow black empty empty empty
HD LED Reset

PWR LED PWR ON

Oh and the mobo is a p4SD-LE rev. 1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds standard to me!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Chances are the power supply in YOUR system is either SFX or PS/3. If it looks like a normal power supply from the back, but it has less depth internally, it's PS/3. If it looks about half the size of a standard power supply from the back, it's probably SFX. You can find pictures in my article "a different perspective on power supplies" at sysopt.com.