networking within a wireless network

Sabo

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2005

I want to network a desktop and a laptop that are in an apartment that
already has a general wireless building system. I understand that I
could adhoc the two to network, but what I had in mind was to hardwire
the desktop to some type of wireless router in repeater mode and that
the laptop would still be able to network the desktop. Or is just using
the general network and setting up a windows workgroup the way to go?
Thanks for the clarification on if I need routers/bridges or what not!

JB

On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 00:05:34 -0700, sabo wrote:

> I want to network a desktop and a laptop that are in an apartment that
> already has a general wireless building system. I understand that I
> could adhoc the two to network, but what I had in mind was to hardwire
> the desktop to some type of wireless router in repeater mode and that
> the laptop would still be able to network the desktop. Or is just using
> the general network and setting up a windows workgroup the way to go?
> Thanks for the clarification on if I need routers/bridges or what not!

Can you clarify what you want to do -- do you want the laptop to connect
and then the desktop to network with the laptop to piggy back the Internet
feed? As far as I know this is not possible. You can share the local
resources with that desktop, though -- like Windows shared folders.

Why not just get a cheap PCI wireless card for the desktop?

- JB