lost startup and exit wav sounds after latest update.

Arn

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002

After the 4.14.2005 automatic Microsoft update I lost the startup and exit
wav sounds. Sounds related to all other functions remain unaffected. This is
on my laptop with OS Windows XP Pro sp2 .

The problem is cosmetic and not critical to the computer's overall
functions, but I think this will be the last MS update I'll risk. Anyone
with an explanation of what happened - possibly with a workaround?

Thanks,
Arn

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:ONhs5crQFHA.3664@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
Arn <aholtzman37@hotmail.com> had this to say:

> After the 4.14.2005 automatic Microsoft update I lost the startup and
> exit wav sounds. Sounds related to all other functions remain
> unaffected. This is on my laptop with OS Windows XP Pro sp2 .
>
> The problem is cosmetic and not critical to the computer's overall
> functions, but I think this will be the last MS update I'll risk.
> Anyone with an explanation of what happened - possibly with a
> workaround?
> Thanks,
> Arn

It might have had nothing to do with the update at all. Small things become
corrupt for no reason at all sometimes. Open control panel, click classic
view, click on the Sounds and Audio Devices applet icon, on the second tab
over make sure that it's set to "Windows Default" and click apply. If it's
already set to Windows Default in the drop down menu bar then go ahead and
scroll down to find the startup and shutdown and then using the GUI set them
to the sounds you want. Save it as something you'll remember like "My
Sounds" and it should, no matter what, always appear in the drop down menu
bar after this should it become corrupted again.

As for not risking updates any longer that's akin to saying that after you
had your oil changed in your car it ran out of windshield washer fluid so
you're not going to change your oil any longer. Updates are something that
we really can't afford to not do no matter WHAT operating system you're
using. Even *NIX and MAC users have to update. Even Sun's Solaris has
regular patches. As new threats develope, as new threats are found, and as
bugs are detected the updates are what keep our systems bug free and safer
than they would be without the patches. The choice to not update is, of
course, yours and yours alone to make but I strongly advise against opting
to not update.

Galen