Build the Test Rig

tantryl

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
I want one --> http://www6.tomshardware.com/howto/20021021/powersupplies-03.html

I've been a PC enthusiast for years and for the past couple of years I've opened up a small repair and retail shop in Perth, Western Australia.

PSUs are one of the hardest things to test properly - if they're VERY faulty it's easy, they don't work or they constantly cause crashing and all you need to do is put in a new PSU and see how she goes. But if it's just a matter of running voltages a little wrong or not sharing the rails properly... then it can be harder to be certain that it's the problem.

And besides real world reasons, hot damn I wants me a toy to make me feel more like a man. And I think this PSU Test Rig is such a toy.

So.... where in the hell did they get the parts for this? How did they put it all together?

If anyone knows the answers to these questions, please share it with me. Keep in mind I'm in Australia so if there's some magical box that'll do all this without me getting my thick rubber gloves dirty, I still may not be able to get it shipped here, so the practical approach would be appreciated.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Resistors! V=IR (Volts = Amps times Resistance), you can work out all the resistance values you need using the voltage from each line. Oh, and a switch for the power would be handy too.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

tantryl

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
I'm aware of the equations involved and the basic components involed, P=VxI and V=IxR, resistors and of course a voltmeter...

I just want to know where they got that custom PCB for easily varying the resistance and just plugging the molex and motherboard power connectors directly into an etched PCB.

I don't want to do this as a one off, I want to be able to test multiple PSUs quickly and easily.

*EDIT* And no, I don't mind spending a bit of cash doing so. If it helps the main supplier of electrical components in my area is JayCar: http://www.jaycar.com.au<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tantryl on 05/30/04 02:05 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So you can't just use a breadboard? Damn, sorry to hear. You could make your own board...nah

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>