Power Options to facilitate downloads

April 17, 2005 12:02:02 AM

Hi
If I set my power options to go into standby after one hour will the hard
drive and monitor turn off when the computer goes into standby even though
all other options are at "never"? Assuming the answer to the first question
is yes, will downloading of updates for Microsoft security and Spyware and or
running of spyware scan awaken the computer from standby? There is no
"download" option on my "shutdown" menu so I'm trying to use my power options
as a work around. Thanks
Anonymous
April 17, 2005 10:08:01 AM

if i understand your question corrently. Stanby will turn of hard drive etc
i think. Windows update and spyware wont awaken your computer if its on
stanby. If you want you can change your scheme so the monister at least turns
off for a while then much later on the hard drive etc.

What you need to do is schedule the downloads and virus scans when you will
be on the computer. As a tip if you do them a couple times a week at least
the chaces are you be on it at somepoint. If not tweak the power options for
your usage you can at least turn the moniter off which wont effect any
spyware scans or updates. Turning off the hard drive will.

!