EQ1 Necro's pet question

I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
rusty ________ .
Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it could
just be the stronger mobs I face now.

I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
effect my life or death at times.

TIA
Knevil on The Nameless
36 answers Last reply
More about necro question

    "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
    >rusty ________ .
    > Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    > It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it
    > could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >
    > I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
    > effect my life or death at times.
    >
    > TIA
    > Knevil on The Nameless

    Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage with
    better weapons.
    What you can do tho, is equip him with weapons that proc.

    Go to the bazaar and get some summoned mage weapons, or a couple of cheapies
    like gnoll hide lariats (proc stun).
    Some of the summoned mage weapons need high level pets to proc so you need
    to check that out. for example, the very top mage weapons need a level 60+
    pet to proc.
    iirc hand of ixiblat procs at pretty low level, but im not certain of this.

    The only downside is your pet will generate plenty of agro, so agro kiting
    becomes difficult. You will probably have to fear kite.

    Perhaps a magician could enlighten us?

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
    >rusty ________ .
    >Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    >It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it could
    >just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >
    >I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
    >effect my life or death at times.

    Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
    proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
    for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
    tank!!

    As an aside, even pet-using classes at level 1 will find a big
    difference with a suit of summoned plate and a belt/girdle for their
    pet. If you plan on a longish playing session, the cost is well worth
    it.

    Palindrome

    Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:

    >>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
    >>rusty ________ .
    >>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    >>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it could
    >>just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >>
    >>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
    >>effect my life or death at times.

    > Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
    > proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    > Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    > plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    > roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
    > for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
    > tank!!
    I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get the
    level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
    first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44 pet.
    This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
    ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the will in
    my experience.

    So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

    Hagen

    "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
    >rusty ________ .
    > Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    > It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it
    > could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >
    > I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
    > effect my life or death at times.
    >
    > TIA
    > Knevil on The Nameless

    You can keep giving your pet any weapons from rusty up to get it to dual
    wield until level 33 - the level 34 pet will dual wield automatically
    without weapons.

    I have had the mage summoned 'fists of ixiblat' proc on a level 12 mage
    pet - either blade of walnan or blade of the kedge also procs with level 10+
    pets (the higher level blade won't, not sure the level cutoff)

    I always recommend to start using the mage summoned weps at 29, since below
    that, you can use a big two-hander like a weighty polearm (bazaar for
    10-15pp usually), and have it hit for 60+.

    Warlock Hexfate Decay
    70 Necro of Tarew Marr
    -Now playing Vincit Omnia 20 Inquisitor/17 Craftsman of Unrest

    On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:31:20 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
    wrote:

    >Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:

    >> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
    >> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    >> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    >> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    >> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
    >> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
    >> tank!!

    >I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get the
    >level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
    >first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44 pet.
    >This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
    >ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the will in
    >my experience.
    >
    >So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

    Definitely - every so often I see the burst of fire and see the
    message "XXX has been consumed by flames" and she has had her pet use
    these regularly from level one up to her mid-twenties.

    Palindrome

    "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in

    > "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
    >>it 2 rusty ________ .
    >> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    >> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
    >> it could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >>
    >> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
    >> does effect my life or death at times.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Knevil on The Nameless
    >>

    > Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
    > with better weapons.

    My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if you
    give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage rating,
    regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit. Procs would just
    be an added bonus.

    Can anyone confirm this?

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    > My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if you
    > give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage rating,
    > regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit. Procs would just
    > be an added bonus.

    This is correct as far as it goes, thing being it becomes relatively
    difficult and expensive to find a weapon with a high enough damage on it
    to actually improve your pet's damage output.

    Under level 12, its not hard at all, you only need a damage of 10. But
    once your pet starts doing 20 points a hit on his own, that won't cut
    it, and weapons with a damage of 11+ are going to run more than a few
    silvers.

    It does help that the delay portion of the weapon can be ignored,
    because a weapon with 20 damage and 60 delay will be much cheaper than
    one with 20 damage and 10 delay... for your pet, both will be the same
    as a 20/30 weapon. But it won't be long before your pet will outdamage
    a 20 damage weapon just on his own.

    Depending on class, there will also come a point where your pet will
    dual weild IF you give him two weapons, but not on his own; thats the
    point where giving him a couple rusty daggers or whatever is lying
    around will help. Then (for most classes, not for shaman though) there
    will come another point where the pet will dual weild on his own, no
    help needed.

    Something else to look at besides the damage and procs and dual weilding
    are the stats; there are some junk weapons and summoned weapons that
    have HP or AC or Dex that can make a difference.

    Lance

    "Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote

    >> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
    >> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    >> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    >> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    >> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
    >> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
    >> tank!!
    > I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get the
    > level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
    > first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44 pet.
    > This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
    > ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the will in
    > my experience.
    >
    > So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

    My Lv25 necro has seen her pet proc on the summoned mage fists a fair few
    times during battles and that was only about a month ago.

    HTH

    "Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in
    >
    >> "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
    >>>it 2 rusty ________ .
    >>> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    >>> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
    >>> it could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >>>
    >>> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
    >>> does effect my life or death at times.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>> Knevil on The Nameless
    >>>

    >> Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
    >> with better weapons.
    >
    > My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if you
    > give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage rating,
    > regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit. Procs would
    > just
    > be an added bonus.
    >
    > Can anyone confirm this?
    >
    > --
    > Rumble
    > "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
    > -- Benjamin Franklin\

    correct, thats why you wont improve the damage for a lvl 29 pet.

    RedFox <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    > "Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote
    >> So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

    > My Lv25 necro has seen her pet proc on the summoned mage fists a fair few
    > times during battles and that was only about a month ago.

    Thank you both for the confirmation. I guess my pet had other weapons
    then or one ixiblat and one of the other mage weapons.

    Hagen

    Hagen Sienhold wrote:
    > Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    > > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F."
    <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
    > > wrote:
    >
    > >>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I
    give it 2
    > >>rusty ________ .
    > >>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not
    matter?
    > >>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
    it could
    > >>just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    > >>
    > >>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
    does
    > >>effect my life or death at times.
    >
    > > Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no
    rent,
    > > proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    > > Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    > > plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    > > roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned
    belt/girdle
    > > for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very
    nice
    > > tank!!
    > I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get
    the
    > level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
    > first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44
    pet.
    > This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
    > ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the
    will in
    > my experience.
    >
    > So are you sure they do proc these weapons?
    >

    > Hagen

    The Hand of Ixiblat has a minimum level 10 to proc. Blade of Kedge and
    Walnan require a minimum level of 40.

    I am pretty sure that my pet (level 20 necro) proc the Hand. Not often
    but it does. I know enough that the two Blades need 40 since my 51
    enchanter pet is actually level 38, so the Blades I got it didn't (lack
    the will), sniff.

    Proc depend on the pet's dex to actually fire. As an experiment, I had
    a shaman put Focus on my pet (enchanter) and it seemed like the Hand
    did fire more often. Also the 20 necro pet did appear to proc.

    Heck, when the necro was leveling in Kurns with summoned swords of
    runes, I'd get occasional, "Your pet's will is insufficient to control
    the weapon" when fighting skeletons. Given that the sword of runes has
    a minimum level 20 or 30? to proc, I was actually quite surprised to
    get that message.

    =30=

    > "Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in
    >>
    >>> "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    >>> Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
    >>> with better weapons.
    >>
    >> My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if
    >> you give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage
    >> rating, regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit.
    >> Procs would just
    >> be an added bonus.
    >>
    >> Can anyone confirm this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Rumble
    >> "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
    >> -- Benjamin Franklin\
    >
    > correct, thats why you wont improve the damage for a lvl 29 pet.

    Could you clarify that please? I'm assuming you mean by giving the pet
    two rusty weapons, because I would think that there are plenty of
    pet-wieldable weapons out there that would drastically improve their
    damage. Or, do they hit a cap at that point? What exactly changes for
    the pet at level 29?

    --
    Rumble
    -- Benjamin Franklin

    "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in

    > "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
    >>it 2 rusty ________ .
    >> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    >> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
    >> it could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >>
    >> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
    >> does effect my life or death at times.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >> Knevil on The Nameless
    >>

    > Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
    > with better weapons.
    > What you can do tho, is equip him with weapons that proc.
    >
    > Go to the bazaar and get some summoned mage weapons, or a couple of
    > cheapies like gnoll hide lariats (proc stun).
    > Some of the summoned mage weapons need high level pets to proc so you
    > need to check that out. for example, the very top mage weapons need a
    > level 60+ pet to proc.
    > iirc hand of ixiblat procs at pretty low level, but im not certain of
    > this.
    >
    > The only downside is your pet will generate plenty of agro, so agro
    > kiting becomes difficult. You will probably have to fear kite.
    >
    > Perhaps a magician could enlighten us?

    I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro on
    himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

    Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
    >>it 2 rusty ________ .
    >>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    >>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it
    >>could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >>
    >>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
    >>does effect my life or death at times.
    >
    > Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
    > proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    > Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    > plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    > roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
    > for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
    > tank!!
    >
    > As an aside, even pet-using classes at level 1 will find a big
    > difference with a suit of summoned plate and a belt/girdle for their
    > pet. If you plan on a longish playing session, the cost is well worth
    > it.

    Don't forget the muzzle of mardu, for 10% worn haste.

    --

    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:31:20 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >>> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F."
    >>> <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no
    >>> rent, proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my
    >>> server. Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of
    >>> Summoned plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which
    >>> will add roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned
    >>> belt/girdle for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will
    >>> be a very nice tank!!
    >
    >>I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get
    >>the level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail.
    >>The first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44
    >>pet. This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs
    >>the ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the
    >>will in my experience.
    >>
    >>So are you sure they do proc these weapons?
    >
    > Definitely - every so often I see the burst of fire and see the
    > message "XXX has been consumed by flames" and she has had her pet use
    > these regularly from level one up to her mid-twenties.

    They changed that a while back so that the procs will only occur if the
    pet is high enough level to proc the weapons, much like you can now only
    cast spells on the pet if it is of appropriate level. (Might be limited
    by the pet owners level instead of pet level, not 100% certain.)

    --

    Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de> wrote in

    > RedFox <me@privacy.net> wrote:
    >> "Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote
    >>> So are you sure they do proc these weapons?
    >
    >> My Lv25 necro has seen her pet proc on the summoned mage fists a fair
    >> few times during battles and that was only about a month ago.
    >
    > Thank you both for the confirmation. I guess my pet had other weapons
    > then or one ixiblat and one of the other mage weapons.

    The different weapons do have different proc levels I believe, so that
    could explain it.

    --

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

    > I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro on
    > himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.

    My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't land, as then
    I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply it. Her
    new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and get EBolt cast,
    the pet gets very beat up.

    James

    "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in

    > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro
    >> on himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.
    >
    > My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't land,
    > as then
    > I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply
    > it. Her new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and get
    > EBolt cast, the pet gets very beat up.

    Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
    speed, if run 3 is not yet purchased. Just run off a ways, and recast a
    few times. Keep your fastest casting snare up, and cast it a few times,
    they are very high agro. Don't send in the pet until you are faily
    certain you have agro. On the other hand, at the higher levels anyway,
    necro pets make respectable tanks anyway, so why worry about it taking a
    bit of a beating? I've never played a necro (well, not beyond level 4
    anyway), so my perspective is certainly likely to be off somewhat...

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

    > "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in
    >

    > > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro
    > >> on himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.
    > >
    > > My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't land,
    > > as then
    > > I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply
    > > it. Her new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and get
    > > EBolt cast, the pet gets very beat up.
    > >

    > Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    > landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
    > speed, if run 3 is not yet purchased. Just run off a ways, and recast a
    > few times. Keep your fastest casting snare up, and cast it a few times,
    > they are very high agro. Don't send in the pet until you are faily
    > certain you have agro. On the other hand, at the higher levels anyway,
    > necro pets make respectable tanks anyway, so why worry about it taking a
    > bit of a beating? I've never played a necro (well, not beyond level 4
    > anyway), so my perspective is certainly likely to be off somewhat...

    I have been letting my skellie tank for me for a long time. I usually get a
    cleric buff, if avail, and send him in... and plan my dot's and nukes to let
    him keep aggro....

    If his HP becomes worrisome, I just fear-kite them till Skellie kills them.

    Has worked very well for me - up to lvl 51.

    he's Gnostic
    lvl 51 Gnecro

    -Jeffers
    The Rathe

    In <Xns95D4835EB4E52richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:

    > Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    > landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement

    I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro, allowing
    the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases the necro.

    Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less aggro,
    enabling the mob to switch targets to the pet when the pet engages.

    --
    John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
    gordon@panix.com

    John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote in

    > In <Xns95D4835EB4E52richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4> Graeme Faelban
    > <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
    >
    >> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    >> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
    >
    > I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro,
    > allowing the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases
    > the necro.
    >
    > Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less
    > aggro, enabling the mob to switch targets to the pet when the pet
    > engages.

    The snare alone, whether it sticks or not, does not generate enough hate
    by itself. Which is why you cast it multiple times until it sticks, then
    you load up on DoTs, sick the pet, and keep refreshing the DoTs and snare
    as needed. You don't sick the pet until you have solid enough agro that
    you don't think you will lose your pet.

    --

    "JFlexer" <jf096231fspam@fbuster.yahoo.com> wrote in

    > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >> "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in
    >>

    >> > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

    >> > My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't
    >> > land, as then
    >> > I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply
    >> > it. Her new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and
    >> > get EBolt cast, the pet gets very beat up.
    >> >

    >> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    >> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
    >> speed, if run 3 is not yet purchased. Just run off a ways, and
    >> recast a few times. Keep your fastest casting snare up, and cast it
    >> a few times, they are very high agro. Don't send in the pet until
    >> you are faily certain you have agro. On the other hand, at the
    >> higher levels anyway, necro pets make respectable tanks anyway, so
    >> why worry about it taking a bit of a beating? I've never played a
    >> necro (well, not beyond level 4 anyway), so my perspective is
    >> certainly likely to be off somewhat...
    >
    > I have been letting my skellie tank for me for a long time. I usually
    > get a cleric buff, if avail, and send him in... and plan my dot's and
    > nukes to let him keep aggro....
    >
    > If his HP becomes worrisome, I just fear-kite them till Skellie kills
    > them.
    >
    > Has worked very well for me - up to lvl 51.

    Agro kiting has the advantage that you have significantly more control
    over where the mob paths.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

    On 4 Jan 2005 16:17:53 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

    >> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
    >> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    >> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    >> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    >> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
    >> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
    >> tank!!
    >>
    >> As an aside, even pet-using classes at level 1 will find a big
    >> difference with a suit of summoned plate and a belt/girdle for their
    >> pet. If you plan on a longish playing session, the cost is well worth
    >> it.
    >>

    >Don't forget the muzzle of mardu, for 10% worn haste.

    true, true :))

    Palindrome

    On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:08:47 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon
    <gordon@panix.com> wrote:

    >In <Xns95D4835EB4E52richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
    >
    >> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    >> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
    >
    >I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro, allowing
    >the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases the necro.
    >
    >Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less aggro,

    I dont know,I was always under the impression that a resisted snare
    generates *more* aggro.
    When pulling Golems in PoV with my *55* Ranger,I get a *lot* of snare
    resists,so I am somewhat an expert on this topic. :)
    (I snare during pull to keep the mobs away from the lowbie
    slowers in PoV,cause resisted slows generate huge aggro and dead
    Enchanters. :) )
    Non SK tanks need noticable longer to peel the mob off of me,when
    my snare was resisted,even after a Stun from a Pally the mobs
    sometimes continue to chase me.
    Another anecdotal observation is,usually when some other class pulls
    and I am only there for DD and snare,I usually snare at 40% mob
    health,when the snare is resisted mobs turn to me pretty often,while
    on the other hand on a succesful snare they continue to ignore me(
    and my mediocre damageoutput at 55 :) ).

    Melforge 55 Ranger

    Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:08:47 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon
    > <gordon@panix.com> wrote:
    >
    >>In <Xns95D4835EB4E52richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4> Graeme Faelban
    >><RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
    >>
    >>> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    >>> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for
    >>> movement
    >>
    >>I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro,
    >>allowing the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases
    >>the necro.
    >>
    >>Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less
    >>aggro,
    >
    > I dont know,I was always under the impression that a resisted snare
    > generates *more* aggro.
    > When pulling Golems in PoV with my *55* Ranger,I get a *lot* of snare
    > resists,so I am somewhat an expert on this topic. :)
    > (I snare during pull to keep the mobs away from the lowbie
    > slowers in PoV,cause resisted slows generate huge aggro and dead
    > Enchanters. :) )

    You need to get more durable slowers. :b

    > Non SK tanks need noticable longer to peel the mob off of me,when
    > my snare was resisted,even after a Stun from a Pally the mobs
    > sometimes continue to chase me.
    > Another anecdotal observation is,usually when some other class pulls
    > and I am only there for DD and snare,I usually snare at 40% mob
    > health,when the snare is resisted mobs turn to me pretty often,while
    > on the other hand on a succesful snare they continue to ignore me(
    > and my mediocre damageoutput at 55 :) ).

    Your MA is not doing too well then, I can chain slow a mob once the MA
    has agro, and never take it back.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

    On 5 Jan 2005 15:46:24 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

    >Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:08:47 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon
    >> <gordon@panix.com> wrote:

    >>>I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro,
    >>>allowing the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases
    >>>the necro.
    >>>
    >>>Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less
    >>>aggro,
    >>
    >> I dont know,I was always under the impression that a resisted snare
    >> generates *more* aggro.
    >> When pulling Golems in PoV with my *55* Ranger,I get a *lot* of snare
    >> resists,so I am somewhat an expert on this topic. :)
    >> (I snare during pull to keep the mobs away from the lowbie
    >> slowers in PoV,cause resisted slows generate huge aggro and dead
    >> Enchanters. :) )
    >
    >You need to get more durable slowers. :b
    >
    >> Non SK tanks need noticable longer to peel the mob off of me,when
    >> my snare was resisted,even after a Stun from a Pally the mobs
    >> sometimes continue to chase me.
    >> Another anecdotal observation is,usually when some other class pulls
    >> and I am only there for DD and snare,I usually snare at 40% mob
    >> health,when the snare is resisted mobs turn to me pretty often,while
    >> on the other hand on a succesful snare they continue to ignore me(
    >> and my mediocre damageoutput at 55 :) ).
    >>

    >Your MA is not doing too well then, I can chain slow a mob once the MA
    >has agro, and never take it back.

    I am talking about *PoV*,a zone with a lot of 55 to 60 players and
    level 62 mobs. :)

    Melforge (level 55 puller in PoV)

    > On 5 Jan 2005 15:46:24 GMT, Graeme Faelban
    > <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

    >>> I dont know,I was always under the impression that a resisted snare
    >>> generates *more* aggro.
    >>> When pulling Golems in PoV with my *55* Ranger,I get a *lot* of snare
    >>> resists,so I am somewhat an expert on this topic. :)
    >>> (I snare during pull to keep the mobs away from the lowbie
    >>> slowers in PoV,cause resisted slows generate huge aggro and dead
    >>> Enchanters. :) )
    >>
    >>You need to get more durable slowers. :b
    >>
    >>> Non SK tanks need noticable longer to peel the mob off of me,when
    >>> my snare was resisted,even after a Stun from a Pally the mobs
    >>> sometimes continue to chase me.
    >>> Another anecdotal observation is,usually when some other class pulls
    >>> and I am only there for DD and snare,I usually snare at 40% mob
    >>> health,when the snare is resisted mobs turn to me pretty often,while
    >>> on the other hand on a succesful snare they continue to ignore me(
    >>> and my mediocre damageoutput at 55 :) ).
    >>>

    >>Your MA is not doing too well then, I can chain slow a mob once the MA
    >>has agro, and never take it back.
    >
    > I am talking about *PoV*,a zone with a lot of 55 to 60 players and
    > level 62 mobs. :)
    >
    > Melforge (level 55 puller in PoV)

    Yes, I know the zone, I spent a lot of time there. A decent SK or
    Paladin MA will hold the agro quite nicely using a low level, very low
    mana cost spell. For Paladins, 35 mana for Stun. For SKs a 20 mana
    DoT/snare. Warriors at that level do have a tougher time of it.

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

    "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in
    >> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro
    >>> on himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.
    >>
    >> My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't land,
    >> as then
    >> I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply
    >> it. Her new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and get
    >> EBolt cast, the pet gets very beat up.
    >
    > Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
    > landing is an issue.

    If snare lands, then by the time I'm back to my pet I have Dooming
    Darkness, Splurt, and EBolt all going on the mob and it's coming after me.
    If it doesn't land, then by the time I get beside the pet I have no DoTs on
    the mob and I'll be lucky to get off Dooming again before the mob is in
    melee range. My necromancer's current camp is the wayfarer camp in Natimbi -
    I pull to behind the last tent, run the mob behind the tents to the corner
    with pet beating on it, then fear the mob so it runs back behind the tents
    again. By the time it gets to where the pet starts, it's below 20% health
    and about to die.

    > SoW potions are readily available for movement
    > speed, if run 3 is not yet purchased.

    My necro has SoW potions always. Some of the mob types are faster than
    normal, though, and it's more a matter of how quickly they close the space
    when I attempt to resnare. I also have limited real estate to play with in
    that area - I can run in circles around the tents, but given the stun/DoT
    procs of the mobs around there being caught really hurts.

    > Keep your fastest casting snare up, and cast it a few times,
    > they are very high agro.

    Once I cast EBolt, I have aggro - you'd know all about poison DoT aggro
    ;-) . I usually like waiting until after I've cast Splurt to drop EBolt,
    since with my necromancer's foci the last few ticks of Splurt do a ton of
    damage and it can be the difference between reapplying and not reapplying
    darkness at the end of the kite.

    > Don't send in the pet until you are faily
    > certain you have agro. On the other hand, at the higher levels anyway,
    > necro pets make respectable tanks anyway, so why worry about it taking a
    > bit of a beating?

    The 49 pet can take a beating until I peel the mob off him. The 53 pet
    is a rogue pet, and he's a worse tank than the 49 pet. He also does a lot
    more damage, so if I don't have my EBolt aggro lock he can keep a mob glued
    to him for longer than he has HPs. I haven't had a chance to play with him
    much. I'm sure I could switch to some other higher aggro DoT than Splurt as
    a second DoT to hold aggro better. I just noticed that, early after dinging
    53, I'd already lost one pet and I didn't lose the 49 pet all through level
    52 in the same spot with the same tactics.

    Now, I can handle this sort of thing. Here's the necromancer's Magelo:
    http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=448294 Major twink, I've been
    caught and actually tanked for a short while until I re-applied snare. But I
    don't want to rely on my gear to carry me through, since very shortly the
    mobs will catch up with my gear and I'll need a proper skill set to be
    successful. Time to start learning!

> [...]
    > mob glued to him for longer than he has HPs. I haven't had a chance to
    > play with him much. I'm sure I could switch to some other higher aggro
    > DoT than Splurt as a second DoT to hold aggro better. I just noticed
    > that, early after dinging 53, I'd already lost one pet and I didn't
    > lose the 49 pet all through level 52 in the same spot with the same
    > tactics.
    >
    > Now, I can handle this sort of thing. Here's the necromancer's
    > Magelo:
    > http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=448294 Major twink,
    > I've been caught and actually tanked for a short while until I
    > re-applied snare. But I don't want to rely on my gear to carry me
    > through, since very shortly the mobs will catch up with my gear and
    > I'll need a proper skill set to be successful. Time to start learning!

    I went through those levels long before there was a Natimbi. Most of the
    places I saw necros soloing were more wide open, and generally they used
    agro kiting strictly in those areas. Plane of Storms frogs (Those
    bastards hit damned hard too), and much more recently now, Plane of Fire
    tables, still same strategy. Of course, being a necro, there is also the
    get out of jail free card of FD (unless you fizzle or get caught and
    interrupted :b). The few times I soloed with a 10 charge snare gland, I
    was appalled at how it trivialized the soloing, and gave lots of thought
    to working on a necro again. :b

    --
    On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

    On Steamfont
    Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

    Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
    >> If his HP becomes worrisome, I just fear-kite them till Skellie kills
    >> them.
    >>
    >> Has worked very well for me - up to lvl 51.
    >>

    > Agro kiting has the advantage that you have significantly more control
    > over where the mob paths.

    But until level 49 the necro mana regen isn't something to write home
    about. So fearkiting usually is the more efficient way.

    This is surely true even after 49 but then mana regen isn't that much an
    issue anymore.

    Hagen

    Graeme Faelban wrote:

    > Yes, I know the zone, I spent a lot of time there. A decent SK or
    > Paladin MA will hold the agro quite nicely using a low level, very low
    > mana cost spell. For Paladins, 35 mana for Stun. For SKs a 20 mana
    > DoT/snare. Warriors at that level do have a tougher time of it.

    I'm told that at these levels, the SK's best taunt is one you might not
    expect; Fear. Like snare and slow, fear is high aggro when resisted,
    and at those levels, fear is automatically resisted. As explained to
    me, the snare/dot is still decent aggro, but you can't count on it being
    resisted, so the fear becomes better for short term annoyance. Of
    course the snare is still good because the DOT provides period
    refreshment of the taunt, but instead of chain casting it, they leave it
    running and chain cast Fear instead as needed.

    I have not run an SK at those levels, so I can't say from personal
    experience, and by the time I heard this one, my cleric was no longer
    interested in tanking mobs with someone else in the party (I used to do
    it quite frequently in my mid 50s with a ranger partner, but didn't know
    about this option, so I'd use stun/root/blind to keep the mob's attention)

    Paladins lack a fear to try this with, unless perhaps they get an undead
    fear, which would limit the targets its usuable on but might be worth
    consideration in those few instances.

    And of course warriors, as usual, simply lack.

    Lance

    > "JFlexer" <jf096231fspam@fbuster.yahoo.com> wrote in

    <snip>

    > > I have been letting my skellie tank for me for a long time. I usually
    > > get a cleric buff, if avail, and send him in... and plan my dot's and
    > > nukes to let him keep aggro....
    > >
    > > If his HP becomes worrisome, I just fear-kite them till Skellie kills
    > > them.
    > >
    > > Has worked very well for me - up to lvl 51.
    > >

    > Agro kiting has the advantage that you have significantly more control
    > over where the mob paths.

    I am sure you're correct - but I don't often fear-kite either. I did in my
    early 30's with the mob's outside Splitpaw (moment of silence...) but since
    then, I let my pet tank - hold aggro completely - while my DOT's and Taps do
    their work.

    I do, occasionally run in and take aggro if my pet starts losing HP quickly.

    I think part of the reason I don't kite much is I have the world's laziest,
    slowest drog... BUT, I just got JBoots last night, so maybe I'll give
    aggro-kiting a try.

    -Jeffers

    Lance Berg <emporer@dejazzd.com> wrote in

    > Graeme Faelban wrote:
    >

    >> Yes, I know the zone, I spent a lot of time there. A decent SK or
    >> Paladin MA will hold the agro quite nicely using a low level, very
    >> low mana cost spell. For Paladins, 35 mana for Stun. For SKs a 20
    >> mana DoT/snare. Warriors at that level do have a tougher time of it.
    >>
    > I'm told that at these levels, the SK's best taunt is one you might
    > not expect; Fear. Like snare and slow, fear is high aggro when
    > resisted, and at those levels, fear is automatically resisted. As
    > explained to me, the snare/dot is still decent aggro, but you can't
    > count on it being resisted, so the fear becomes better for short term
    > annoyance. Of course the snare is still good because the DOT provides
    > period refreshment of the taunt, but instead of chain casting it, they
    > leave it running and chain cast Fear instead as needed.
    >
    > I have not run an SK at those levels, so I can't say from personal
    > experience, and by the time I heard this one, my cleric was no longer
    > interested in tanking mobs with someone else in the party (I used to
    > do it quite frequently in my mid 50s with a ranger partner, but didn't
    > know about this option, so I'd use stun/root/blind to keep the mob's
    > attention)
    >
    > Paladins lack a fear to try this with, unless perhaps they get an
    > undead fear, which would limit the targets its usuable on but might be
    > worth consideration in those few instances.
    >
    > And of course warriors, as usual, simply lack.
    >
    > Lance

    Paladins have two low cost stuns they can use, if not more. Stuns are
    great agro generators.

    --

    > I went through those levels long before there was a Natimbi. Most of the
    > places I saw necros soloing were more wide open, and generally they used
    > agro kiting strictly in those areas.

    Aggro kiting is inefficient compared with fear kiting - I'd have to
    apply more obnoxious DoTs with weaker efficiency, like Asystole or Plague,
    and lose a fair chunk of the med time. I plan to fear kite for as long as
    possible, then switch to aggro kiting some time after 56 when I get
    Cessation of Cor, a reasonably efficient debuff DoT, and Demilich for mana
    regen.

    > The few times I soloed with a 10 charge snare gland, I
    > was appalled at how it trivialized the soloing, and gave lots of thought
    > to working on a necro again. :b

    Both shamans and necromancers, in my experience, have an "I win" spell.
    If my necromancer lands snare, I win. If my shaman (now level 49) lands
    Togor's, I win.

    > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I went through those levels long before there was a Natimbi. Most of
    >> the places I saw necros soloing were more wide open, and generally
    >> they used agro kiting strictly in those areas.
    >
    > Aggro kiting is inefficient compared with fear kiting - I'd have
    > apply more obnoxious DoTs with weaker efficiency, like Asystole or
    > Plague, and lose a fair chunk of the med time. I plan to fear kite for
    > as long as possible, then switch to aggro kiting some time after 56
    > when I get Cessation of Cor, a reasonably efficient debuff DoT, and
    > Demilich for mana regen.
    >
    >> The few times I soloed with a 10 charge snare gland, I
    >> was appalled at how it trivialized the soloing, and gave lots of
    >> thought to working on a necro again. :b
    >
    > Both shamans and necromancers, in my experience, have an "I win"
    > spell.
    > If my necromancer lands snare, I win. If my shaman (now level 49)
    > lands Togor's, I win.

    Slow is not enough anymore, but it sure does help. Far too many of the
    summoning mobs mitigate slow enough that it is insufficient to ensure
    survival. Many mobs even fully slowed, I don't have a prayer of tanking,
    just have to hope I get root landed again before I run out of hp, if they
    are not summoning mobs. Currently, when I bother to solo, I do so in
    Fire, near the tables, where I can survive a few rounds of being
    pummelled by a slowed mob, when I have Virtue/Conviction. This is
    usually long enough for me to get a root off again, not always, as they
    hit fast enough slowed that I have to take one or two rounds while
    casting.

    --

    wrote:

    >Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
    >> wrote:
    >
    >>>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
    >>>rusty ________ .
    >>>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
    >>>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it could
    >>>just be the stronger mobs I face now.
    >>>
    >>>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
    >>>effect my life or death at times.
    >
    >> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
    >> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
    >> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
    >> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
    >> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
    >> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
    >> tank!!
    >I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get the
    >level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
    >first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44 pet.
    >This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
    >ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the will in
    >my experience.
    >
    >So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

    The mage summoned fists process for a pet that is level 10 or higher.
    The blades of kedge and walnan process if the pet is level 45 or
    higher. I don't know about the higher level summoned weapons.

Games NEC Video Games