EQ1 Necro's pet question

I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
rusty ________ .
Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it could
just be the stronger mobs I face now.

I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
effect my life or death at times.

TIA
Knevil on The Nameless

"Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
>rusty ________ .
> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it
> could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>
> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
> effect my life or death at times.
>
> TIA
> Knevil on The Nameless

Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage with
better weapons.
What you can do tho, is equip him with weapons that proc.

Go to the bazaar and get some summoned mage weapons, or a couple of cheapies
like gnoll hide lariats (proc stun).
Some of the summoned mage weapons need high level pets to proc so you need
to check that out. for example, the very top mage weapons need a level 60+
pet to proc.
iirc hand of ixiblat procs at pretty low level, but im not certain of this.

The only downside is your pet will generate plenty of agro, so agro kiting
becomes difficult. You will probably have to fear kite.

Perhaps a magician could enlighten us?

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
>rusty ________ .
>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it could
>just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>
>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
>effect my life or death at times.

Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
tank!!

As an aside, even pet-using classes at level 1 will find a big
difference with a suit of summoned plate and a belt/girdle for their
pet. If you plan on a longish playing session, the cost is well worth
it.

Palindrome

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
> wrote:

>>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
>>rusty ________ .
>>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
>>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it could
>>just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>>
>>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
>>effect my life or death at times.

> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
> tank!!
I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get the
level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44 pet.
This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the will in
my experience.

So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

Hagen

"Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give it 2
>rusty ________ .
> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it
> could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>
> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it does
> effect my life or death at times.
>
> TIA
> Knevil on The Nameless

You can keep giving your pet any weapons from rusty up to get it to dual
wield until level 33 - the level 34 pet will dual wield automatically
without weapons.

I have had the mage summoned 'fists of ixiblat' proc on a level 12 mage
pet - either blade of walnan or blade of the kedge also procs with level 10+
pets (the higher level blade won't, not sure the level cutoff)

I always recommend to start using the mage summoned weps at 29, since below
that, you can use a big two-hander like a weighty polearm (bazaar for
10-15pp usually), and have it hit for 60+.

Warlock Hexfate Decay
70 Necro of Tarew Marr
-Now playing Vincit Omnia 20 Inquisitor/17 Craftsman of Unrest

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:31:20 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
wrote:

>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:

>> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
>> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
>> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
>> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
>> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
>> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
>> tank!!

>I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get the
>level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
>first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44 pet.
>This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
>ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the will in
>my experience.
>
>So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

Definitely - every so often I see the burst of fire and see the
message "XXX has been consumed by flames" and she has had her pet use
these regularly from level one up to her mid-twenties.

Palindrome

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in

> "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
>>it 2 rusty ________ .
>> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
>> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
>> it could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>>
>> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
>> does effect my life or death at times.
>>
>> TIA
>> Knevil on The Nameless
>>

> Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
> with better weapons.

My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if you
give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage rating,
regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit. Procs would just
be an added bonus.

Can anyone confirm this?

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

> My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if you
> give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage rating,
> regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit. Procs would just
> be an added bonus.

This is correct as far as it goes, thing being it becomes relatively
difficult and expensive to find a weapon with a high enough damage on it
to actually improve your pet's damage output.

Under level 12, its not hard at all, you only need a damage of 10. But
once your pet starts doing 20 points a hit on his own, that won't cut
it, and weapons with a damage of 11+ are going to run more than a few
silvers.

It does help that the delay portion of the weapon can be ignored,
because a weapon with 20 damage and 60 delay will be much cheaper than
one with 20 damage and 10 delay... for your pet, both will be the same
as a 20/30 weapon. But it won't be long before your pet will outdamage
a 20 damage weapon just on his own.

Depending on class, there will also come a point where your pet will
dual weild IF you give him two weapons, but not on his own; thats the
point where giving him a couple rusty daggers or whatever is lying
around will help. Then (for most classes, not for shaman though) there
will come another point where the pet will dual weild on his own, no
help needed.

Something else to look at besides the damage and procs and dual weilding
are the stats; there are some junk weapons and summoned weapons that
have HP or AC or Dex that can make a difference.

Lance

Redfox

"Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote

>> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
>> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
>> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
>> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
>> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
>> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
>> tank!!
> I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get the
> level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
> first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44 pet.
> This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
> ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the will in
> my experience.
>
> So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

My Lv25 necro has seen her pet proc on the summoned mage fists a fair few
times during battles and that was only about a month ago.

HTH

"Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
> "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in
>
>> "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
>>>it 2 rusty ________ .
>>> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
>>> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
>>> it could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>>>
>>> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
>>> does effect my life or death at times.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Knevil on The Nameless
>>>

>> Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
>> with better weapons.
>
> My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if you
> give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage rating,
> regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit. Procs would
> just
> be an added bonus.
>
> Can anyone confirm this?
>
> --
> Rumble
> "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
> -- Benjamin Franklin\

correct, thats why you wont improve the damage for a lvl 29 pet.

RedFox <me@privacy.net> wrote:
> "Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote
>> So are you sure they do proc these weapons?

> My Lv25 necro has seen her pet proc on the summoned mage fists a fair few
> times during battles and that was only about a month ago.

Thank you both for the confirmation. I guess my pet had other weapons
then or one ixiblat and one of the other mage weapons.

Hagen

Hagen Sienhold wrote:
> Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F."
<mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
> > wrote:
>
> >>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I
give it 2
> >>rusty ________ .
> >>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not
matter?
> >>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
it could
> >>just be the stronger mobs I face now.
> >>
> >>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
does
> >>effect my life or death at times.
>
> > Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no
rent,
> > proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
> > Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
> > plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
> > roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned
belt/girdle
> > for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very
nice
> > tank!!
> I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get
the
> level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail. The
> first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44
pet.
> This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs the
> ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the
will in
> my experience.
>
> So are you sure they do proc these weapons?
>

> Hagen

The Hand of Ixiblat has a minimum level 10 to proc. Blade of Kedge and
Walnan require a minimum level of 40.

I am pretty sure that my pet (level 20 necro) proc the Hand. Not often
but it does. I know enough that the two Blades need 40 since my 51
enchanter pet is actually level 38, so the Blades I got it didn't (lack
the will), sniff.

Proc depend on the pet's dex to actually fire. As an experiment, I had
a shaman put Focus on my pet (enchanter) and it seemed like the Hand
did fire more often. Also the 20 necro pet did appear to proc.

Heck, when the necro was leveling in Kurns with summoned swords of
runes, I'd get occasional, "Your pet's will is insufficient to control
the weapon" when fighting skeletons. Given that the sword of runes has
a minimum level 20 or 30? to proc, I was actually quite surprised to
get that message.

=30=

> "Rumbledor" <Rumbledor@hotspamsuxmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
>>> with better weapons.
>>
>> My understanding is that a pet's delay is locked at 30, and that if
>> you give them a weapon with a higher damage than their base damage
>> rating, regardless of its delay, they will do more damage per hit.
>> Procs would just
>> be an added bonus.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm this?
>>
>> --
>> Rumble
>> "Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
>> -- Benjamin Franklin\
>
> correct, thats why you wont improve the damage for a lvl 29 pet.

Could you clarify that please? I'm assuming you mean by giving the pet
two rusty weapons, because I would think that there are plenty of
pet-wieldable weapons out there that would drastically improve their
damage. Or, do they hit a cap at that point? What exactly changes for
the pet at level 29?

--
Rumble
-- Benjamin Franklin

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in

> "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
>>it 2 rusty ________ .
>> Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
>> It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but
>> it could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>>
>> I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
>> does effect my life or death at times.
>>
>> TIA
>> Knevil on The Nameless
>>

> Unless the weapons are totaly uber, your pet wont do any more damage
> with better weapons.
> What you can do tho, is equip him with weapons that proc.
>
> Go to the bazaar and get some summoned mage weapons, or a couple of
> cheapies like gnoll hide lariats (proc stun).
> Some of the summoned mage weapons need high level pets to proc so you
> need to check that out. for example, the very top mage weapons need a
> level 60+ pet to proc.
> iirc hand of ixiblat procs at pretty low level, but im not certain of
> this.
>
> The only downside is your pet will generate plenty of agro, so agro
> kiting becomes difficult. You will probably have to fear kite.
>
> Perhaps a magician could enlighten us?

I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro on
himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F." <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a lvl 30 NEC with a lvl 29 pet. It can dual weild and I give
>>it 2 rusty ________ .
>>Should I be buying better weapons for "Bones" or does it not matter?
>>It seems like my pet's damage is not like it was at lower lvls, but it
>>could just be the stronger mobs I face now.
>>
>>I solo my NEC most of the time so it does not effect others, but it
>>does effect my life or death at times.
>
> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
> tank!!
>
> As an aside, even pet-using classes at level 1 will find a big
> difference with a suit of summoned plate and a belt/girdle for their
> pet. If you plan on a longish playing session, the cost is well worth
> it.

Don't forget the muzzle of mardu, for 10% worn haste.

--

> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:31:20 +0100, Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de>
> wrote:
>
>>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 07:19:45 -0500, "Ben F."
>>> <mr_homn1960@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no
>>> rent, proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my
>>> server. Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of
>>> Summoned plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which
>>> will add roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned
>>> belt/girdle for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will
>>> be a very nice tank!!
>
>>I see this advise where ever I care to look. Actually I tried to get
>>the level 29 necro pet to proc these weapons. But it was to no avail.
>>The first time I did notice the pet proccing anything was with the 44
>>pet. This is the first one that has its own lifetap proc and it procs
>>the ixiblat, kedge and walnan blades too. But until then they lack the
>>will in my experience.
>>
>>So are you sure they do proc these weapons?
>
> Definitely - every so often I see the burst of fire and see the
> message "XXX has been consumed by flames" and she has had her pet use
> these regularly from level one up to her mid-twenties.

They changed that a while back so that the procs will only occur if the
pet is high enough level to proc the weapons, much like you can now only
cast spells on the pet if it is of appropriate level. (Might be limited
by the pet owners level instead of pet level, not 100% certain.)

--

Hagen Sienhold <durragon@web.de> wrote in

> RedFox <me@privacy.net> wrote:
>> "Hagen Sienhold" <durragon@web.de> wrote
>>> So are you sure they do proc these weapons?
>
>> My Lv25 necro has seen her pet proc on the summoned mage fists a fair
>> few times during battles and that was only about a month ago.
>
> Thank you both for the confirmation. I guess my pet had other weapons
> then or one ixiblat and one of the other mage weapons.

The different weapons do have different proc levels I believe, so that
could explain it.

--

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

> I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro on
> himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.

My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't land, as then
I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply it. Her
new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and get EBolt cast,
the pet gets very beat up.

James

"James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro
>> on himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.
>
> My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't land,
> as then
> I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply
> it. Her new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and get
> EBolt cast, the pet gets very beat up.

Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
speed, if run 3 is not yet purchased. Just run off a ways, and recast a
few times. Keep your fastest casting snare up, and cast it a few times,
they are very high agro. Don't send in the pet until you are faily
certain you have agro. On the other hand, at the higher levels anyway,
necro pets make respectable tanks anyway, so why worry about it taking a
bit of a beating? I've never played a necro (well, not beyond level 4
anyway), so my perspective is certainly likely to be off somewhat...

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

> "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in
>

> > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> >>
> >> I'd be surprised to see a necro that can't keep fairly reliable agro
> >> on himself rather than a nontaunting pet, regardless of procs.
> >
> > My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't land,
> > as then
> > I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply
> > it. Her new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and get
> > EBolt cast, the pet gets very beat up.
> >

> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
> speed, if run 3 is not yet purchased. Just run off a ways, and recast a
> few times. Keep your fastest casting snare up, and cast it a few times,
> they are very high agro. Don't send in the pet until you are faily
> certain you have agro. On the other hand, at the higher levels anyway,
> necro pets make respectable tanks anyway, so why worry about it taking a
> bit of a beating? I've never played a necro (well, not beyond level 4
> anyway), so my perspective is certainly likely to be off somewhat...

I have been letting my skellie tank for me for a long time. I usually get a
cleric buff, if avail, and send him in... and plan my dot's and nukes to let
him keep aggro....

If his HP becomes worrisome, I just fear-kite them till Skellie kills them.

Has worked very well for me - up to lvl 51.

he's Gnostic
lvl 51 Gnecro

-Jeffers
The Rathe

In <Xns95D4835EB4E52richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:

> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement

I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro, allowing
the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases the necro.

Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less aggro,
enabling the mob to switch targets to the pet when the pet engages.

--
John Gordon "It's certainly uncontaminated by cheese."
gordon@panix.com

John Gordon <gordon@panix.com> wrote in

> In <Xns95D4835EB4E52richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4> Graeme Faelban
> <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
>
>> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
>> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
>
> I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro,
> allowing the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases
> the necro.
>
> Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less
> aggro, enabling the mob to switch targets to the pet when the pet
> engages.

The snare alone, whether it sticks or not, does not generate enough hate
by itself. Which is why you cast it multiple times until it sticks, then
you load up on DoTs, sick the pet, and keep refreshing the DoTs and snare
as needed. You don't sick the pet until you have solid enough agro that
you don't think you will lose your pet.

--

"JFlexer" <jf096231fspam@fbuster.yahoo.com> wrote in

> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> "James Grahame" <jamesgrahame@shaw.ca> wrote in
>>

>> > "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

>> > My necromancer can have trouble sometimes if snare doesn't
>> > land, as then
>> > I usually have to send the pet in early while I attempt to re-apply
>> > it. Her new 53 pet does enough damage that, until I land snare and
>> > get EBolt cast, the pet gets very beat up.
>> >

>> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
>> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
>> speed, if run 3 is not yet purchased. Just run off a ways, and
>> recast a few times. Keep your fastest casting snare up, and cast it
>> a few times, they are very high agro. Don't send in the pet until
>> you are faily certain you have agro. On the other hand, at the
>> higher levels anyway, necro pets make respectable tanks anyway, so
>> why worry about it taking a bit of a beating? I've never played a
>> necro (well, not beyond level 4 anyway), so my perspective is
>> certainly likely to be off somewhat...
>
> I have been letting my skellie tank for me for a long time. I usually
> get a cleric buff, if avail, and send him in... and plan my dot's and
> nukes to let him keep aggro....
>
> If his HP becomes worrisome, I just fear-kite them till Skellie kills
> them.
>
> Has worked very well for me - up to lvl 51.

Agro kiting has the advantage that you have significantly more control
over where the mob paths.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

On 4 Jan 2005 16:17:53 GMT, Graeme Faelban
<RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:

>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> wrote in

>> Tool up your pet with two Fists of Ixiblat (Summoned weapons, no rent,
>> proc for 150 fire damage) which sell for 15 plat each on my server.
>> Very nice damage :) While you're at it, get it a set of Summoned
>> plate armour (free off most mages if you ask nicely) which will add
>> roughly 95 points of AC to the pet. Then maybe a Summoned belt/girdle
>> for a few hundred extra hit points. Then your pet will be a very nice
>> tank!!
>>
>> As an aside, even pet-using classes at level 1 will find a big
>> difference with a suit of summoned plate and a belt/girdle for their
>> pet. If you plan on a longish playing session, the cost is well worth
>> it.
>>

>Don't forget the muzzle of mardu, for 10% worn haste.

true, true :))

Palindrome

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 21:08:47 +0000 (UTC), John Gordon
<gordon@panix.com> wrote:

>In <Xns95D4835EB4E52richardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4> Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
>
>> Being a shaman with no snare at all, I fail to see how the snare not
>> landing is an issue. SoW potions are readily available for movement
>
>I assume the point of the snare is simply to generate good aggro, allowing
>the pet to beat on the mob's backside whilst the mob chases the necro.
>
>Following from this, I assume that a resisted snare generates less aggro,

I dont know,I was always under the impression that a resisted snare
generates *more* aggro.
When pulling Golems in PoV with my *55* Ranger,I get a *lot* of snare
resists,so I am somewhat an expert on this topic. :)
(I snare during pull to keep the mobs away from the lowbie
slowers in PoV,cause resisted slows generate huge aggro and dead
Enchanters. :) )
Non SK tanks need noticable longer to peel the mob off of me,when
my snare was resisted,even after a Stun from a Pally the mobs
sometimes continue to chase me.
Another anecdotal observation is,usually when some other class pulls
and I am only there for DD and snare,I usually snare at 40% mob
health,when the snare is resisted mobs turn to me pretty often,while
on the other hand on a succesful snare they continue to ignore me(
and my mediocre damageoutput at 55 :) ).

Melforge 55 Ranger