Need Verizon or Sprint Recommendations

Last response: in Network Providers
January 8, 2005 12:46:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I live in Orange County California and am currently with Verizon and at the
end of my 2 year contract. I travel throughout the USA usually to major
metropolitan areas and am currently trying to decide whether to renew my
contract with Verizon or switch to Sprint. I have obtained a Sprint phone
and am doing some testing since I have 30 days to return the phone and
cancel the contract with Sprint. (this is a new California law)

I have the following dilemma and am looking for recommendations. I live in a
rather hilly area in Laguna Niguel California and the Verizon signal at my
home is a problem. I can usually make calls without a problem when I am
upstairs, but sometimes have difficulty making calls when I am downstairs.
It seems that the Verizon signal performance is worse during hot weather.
Sometimes to make a call it is necessary to do the hokey-pokey and turn my
self about in order to orient the phone in a good direction to get the best
signal. I usually get three bars with the phone held directly in front of
me, however when I place the phone to my ear, that number drops to either
two or one bar. The proximity of the phone to the body causes signal
attenuation. I can resolve this problem by always using a headset with the
phone and keeping the phone away from my body. Due to all of the hills,
there is also a severe problem with signal multi-path and this seems to
really confuse the phone.

To summarize, it is possible to make calls with Verizon service in my home
and maintain the calls for hours at a time if you use a headset and keep the
phone away from my body. The Verizon phone has also been excellent in all of
the major metropolitan areas that I visit.

I have been testing the Sprint phone and consistently have 5 bars anywhere
within my home and therefore I do not have any problem making or receiving
calls, but I am concerned about the Sprint coverage and the quality of their
network. Will I have a problem in major metropolitan areas with Sprint? I
have heard that a Chicago TV Station conducted a cellular provider test and
that Sprint provided the worst coverage and had more dropped calls in the
Chicago area that any other provider.

An interesting point to note is that the Browser on the Spring Phone
completely blows away the browser on the Verizon phone. The Sprint Phone is
a Sanyo VM 4500 and the Verizon phone is an LG 6100.

What would you recommend in this situation?

1. Stay with Verizon and do the hokey-pokey to make calls from my home

or

2. Switch to Sprint and get good performance in my home and hope for good
coverage in cities that I visit.

Please do not make recommendations based upon cost since cost in not an
issue in this dilemma.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

-Mij
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:17:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

> Please do not make recommendations based upon cost since cost in not an
> issue in this dilemma.

Wow!, Mr. Money-Man. But it figures, after all like me you live in Laguna
Niguel. You have to be rolling in dough to live here.

If money is no object, like you say, then KEEP BOTH PHONES.

Or better yet, I'll sell you my condo located on the corner of La Paz Rd.
and Pacific Park Dr. Right here you get 100% signal strength with all six
national carriers (five if you count AT&T and Cingular as one).

-julie

PS The good signal in my condo is not a coincidence, I intentionally
purchased property with good cell signal. I think every realtor should use
good cell signal as a selling point.

"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote in message
>I live in Orange County California and am currently with Verizon and at the
>end of my 2 year contract. I travel throughout the USA usually to major
>metropolitan areas and am currently trying to decide whether to renew my
>contract with Verizon or switch to Sprint. I have obtained a Sprint phone
>and am doing some testing since I have 30 days to return the phone and
>cancel the contract with Sprint. (this is a new California law)
>
> I have the following dilemma and am looking for recommendations. I live in
> a rather hilly area in Laguna Niguel California and the Verizon signal at
> my home is a problem. I can usually make calls without a problem when I am
> upstairs, but sometimes have difficulty making calls when I am downstairs.
> It seems that the Verizon signal performance is worse during hot weather.
> Sometimes to make a call it is necessary to do the hokey-pokey and turn my
> self about in order to orient the phone in a good direction to get the
> best signal. I usually get three bars with the phone held directly in
> front of me, however when I place the phone to my ear, that number drops
> to either two or one bar. The proximity of the phone to the body causes
> signal attenuation. I can resolve this problem by always using a headset
> with the phone and keeping the phone away from my body. Due to all of the
> hills, there is also a severe problem with signal multi-path and this
> seems to really confuse the phone.
>
> To summarize, it is possible to make calls with Verizon service in my home
> and maintain the calls for hours at a time if you use a headset and keep
> the phone away from my body. The Verizon phone has also been excellent in
> all of the major metropolitan areas that I visit.
>
> I have been testing the Sprint phone and consistently have 5 bars anywhere
> within my home and therefore I do not have any problem making or receiving
> calls, but I am concerned about the Sprint coverage and the quality of
> their network. Will I have a problem in major metropolitan areas with
> Sprint? I have heard that a Chicago TV Station conducted a cellular
> provider test and that Sprint provided the worst coverage and had more
> dropped calls in the Chicago area that any other provider.
>
> An interesting point to note is that the Browser on the Spring Phone
> completely blows away the browser on the Verizon phone. The Sprint Phone
> is a Sanyo VM 4500 and the Verizon phone is an LG 6100.
>
> What would you recommend in this situation?
>
> 1. Stay with Verizon and do the hokey-pokey to make calls from my home
>
> or
>
> 2. Switch to Sprint and get good performance in my home and hope for good
> coverage in cities that I visit.
>
> Please do not make recommendations based upon cost since cost in not an
> issue in this dilemma.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Mij

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:33:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

<snip>
> Please do not make recommendations based upon cost since cost in not an
> issue in this dilemma.
>
> Thanks for your input.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Mij

Money solves many problems, you need both phones, the sprint phone for home
and the verizon for when the sprint phone doesn't work. When the sprint
phone works foward all calls from the verizon # to your new sprint #. If the
sprint phone is weak turn off the foward. You could install a active
repeator and external antenna to improve your signal at home:

http://www.cellantenna.com/repeater/building_repeater.h...

Then all you need is the verizon phone or a new verizon phone with a better
browser.
Related resources
January 8, 2005 9:35:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Generally speaking... IMHOP...Attempting to find
a service which is the better will be very difficult
inasmuch as each has excellent and poor coverage
areas. I live in the same area and experience the same
difficulties. Part of the problem is the hilly terrain.
Part can be attributed to regulations regarding tower
restrictions. I travel a great deal and generally find
Verizon to be more satisfactory. A dual-band, tri-mode
phone is helpful. Actually both Verizon and Sprint
roam in many areas with the other. I find myself lending
my Verizon phone to others who have no service in a
particular area. Many are GSM subscribers and need
help. I find VZW Customer Service preferable to Sprint.
Or, as has been suggested, subscribe to both carriers.
Regards
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 12:24:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

Julie,

I have thought about carrying both phones, however this means two different
phone numbers which is inconvenient for people that need to contact me and
also inconvenient to carry.

-Mij

"Julie Ruin" <julieruin@mixmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> quality of their network. Will I have a problem in major metropolitan
>> areas with Sprint? I have heard that a Chicago TV Station conducted a
>> cellular provider test and that Sprint provided the worst coverage and
>> had more dropped calls in the Chicago area that any other provider.
>>
>> An interesting point to note is that the Browser on the Spring Phone
>> completely blows away the browser on the Verizon phone. The Sprint Phone
>> is a Sanyo VM 4500 and the Verizon phone is an LG 6100.
>>
>> What would you recommend in this situation?
>>
>> 1. Stay with Verizon and do the hokey-pokey to make calls from my home
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2. Switch to Sprint and get good performance in my home and hope for good
>> coverage in cities that I visit.
>>
>> Please do not make recommendations based upon cost since cost in not an

Anonymous
January 8, 2005 3:33:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

It's fundamental that your cell phone must work in your home.
For that reason, Sprint is a better choice _at this time_ than
Verizon. I said "at this time" because if Verizon adds a tower
in the future, that could change. But since a) you can't predict
if or when that might happen and b) you would have to live with
the problem for an indefinite time, Sprint appears to be the better
choice.

Two keys: a dual band, tri-mode phone; the Free and Clear _America_
plan (that includes roaming). And keep the firmware and the PRL
up-to-date.
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:16:13 PM

> [...]

> calls, but I am concerned about the Sprint coverage and the quality of
> their network. Will I have a problem in major metropolitan areas with
> Sprint? I have heard that a Chicago TV Station conducted a cellular
> provider test and that Sprint provided the worst coverage and had more
> dropped calls in the Chicago area that any other provider.
>
> An interesting point to note is that the Browser on the Spring Phone
> completely blows away the browser on the Verizon phone. The Sprint Phone
> is a Sanyo VM 4500 and the Verizon phone is an LG 6100.
>
> What would you recommend in this situation?
>
> 1. Stay with Verizon and do the hokey-pokey to make calls from my home
>
> or
>
> 2. Switch to Sprint and get good performance in my home and hope for good
> coverage in cities that I visit.
>
> Please do not make recommendations based upon cost since cost in not an

Never mind the phones, take a course in how to communicate concisely;-)

Ike
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 4:20:01 PM

> Julie,
>
> I have thought about carrying both phones, however this means two
different
> phone numbers which is inconvenient for people that need to contact me and
> also inconvenient to carry.
You would give people your verizon phone number only and if you change the
call foward to the sprint number then people who call the verizon number
will ring on the sprint phone. No one but you need to know the sprint
number.You only need to carry the phone that is working best for where you
are, except your house where would you carry the sprint phone ?
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 5:45:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs, alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

There is technology that will allow you to place any bluetooth phone
anywhere in your home (ie. upstairs where the signal is good) and have
it ring through to a phone connected to a landline.

http://phonelabs.com/

this is one example, but there are competitors. i think if 'money is
no object' then this will satisfy you. You simply need to upgrade your
verizon phone to one that has bluetooth. and dish out the $200 for the
dock-n-talk and bluetooth adapter.

-jc
Anonymous
January 8, 2005 11:27:12 PM

Steve Sobol wrote:
> And if I remember my Southland geography right, that doesn't help you at
> all because Laguna Niguel is in *Eastern* Orange County. (Am I correct?)

Sorry. LN is Southern Orange, and the cities I was referring to are up on the
northern end of Orange.

January 9, 2005 6:11:05 PM

On 8 Jan 2005 14:45:22 -0800, Jack Chance wrote:

> There is technology that will allow you to place any bluetooth phone
> anywhere in your home (ie. upstairs where the signal is good) and have
> it ring through to a phone connected to a landline.
>
> http://phonelabs.com/
>
> this is one example, but there are competitors. i think if 'money is
> no object' then this will satisfy you. You simply need to upgrade your
> verizon phone to one that has bluetooth. and dish out the $200 for the
> dock-n-talk and bluetooth adapter.
>
> -jc

Keep in mind that VZW bluetooth phones are frequently "crippled" by VZW so
not all BT functions work.
January 9, 2005 7:09:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

In article <LsKDd.15658$yW5.15069@fed1read02>,
"Mij Adyaw" <mijadyaw@nospamforme.com> wrote:

> I live in Orange County California and am currently with Verizon and at the
> end of my 2 year contract. I travel throughout the USA usually to major
> metropolitan areas and am currently trying to decide whether to renew my
> contract with Verizon or switch to Sprint. I have obtained a Sprint phone
> and am doing some testing since I have 30 days to return the phone and
> cancel the contract with Sprint. (this is a new California law)
>
> I have the following dilemma and am looking for recommendations. I live in a
> rather hilly area in Laguna Niguel California and the Verizon signal at my
> home is a problem. I can usually make calls without a problem when I am
> upstairs, but sometimes have difficulty making calls when I am downstairs.
> It seems that the Verizon signal performance is worse during hot weather.
> Sometimes to make a call it is necessary to do the hokey-pokey and turn my
> self about in order to orient the phone in a good direction to get the best
> signal. I usually get three bars with the phone held directly in front of
> me, however when I place the phone to my ear, that number drops to either
> two or one bar. The proximity of the phone to the body causes signal
> attenuation. I can resolve this problem by always using a headset with the
> phone and keeping the phone away from my body. Due to all of the hills,
> there is also a severe problem with signal multi-path and this seems to
> really confuse the phone.
>
> To summarize, it is possible to make calls with Verizon service in my home
> and maintain the calls for hours at a time if you use a headset and keep the
> phone away from my body. The Verizon phone has also been excellent in all of
> the major metropolitan areas that I visit.
>
> I have been testing the Sprint phone and consistently have 5 bars anywhere
> within my home and therefore I do not have any problem making or receiving
> calls, but I am concerned about the Sprint coverage and the quality of their
> network. Will I have a problem in major metropolitan areas with Sprint? I
> have heard that a Chicago TV Station conducted a cellular provider test and
> that Sprint provided the worst coverage and had more dropped calls in the
> Chicago area that any other provider.
>
> An interesting point to note is that the Browser on the Spring Phone
> completely blows away the browser on the Verizon phone. The Sprint Phone is
> a Sanyo VM 4500 and the Verizon phone is an LG 6100.
>
> What would you recommend in this situation?
>
> 1. Stay with Verizon and do the hokey-pokey to make calls from my home
>
> or
>
> 2. Switch to Sprint and get good performance in my home and hope for good
> coverage in cities that I visit.
>
> Please do not make recommendations based upon cost since cost in not an
> issue in this dilemma.
>
> Thanks for your input.

I've traveled all over the country using Sprint. As long as you are in
urban or suburban areas, the coverage is usually just fine. The only
major urban area I've ever had a problem was in Chicago (where Sprint
has had problems on and off for a while now), although the last time I
was there (in October), things were fine, no problems.

--
Orac |"I am not *trying* to tell you anything. I am simply not
| interested in trying to compensate for your amazing lack
| of observation."
| http://oracknows.blogspot.com
Anonymous
January 15, 2005 1:10:44 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.sprintpcs,alt.cellular.verizon (More info?)

I use a Jabra's non-Bluetooth headset (BT200) with my non-bluetooth
phones (cordless and wireless) through my house. It has a common 2.5mm
jack to connect to phones with similar jacks.

I still have a landline but have "busy/no answer forwarding" on my
landline. I only give out my landline number. So the landline phone
rings twice before forwarding to my cell phone so I can either answer
the landline or wait until the call forwards to my cell when I am at
home. This is a way of not carrying two phones, getting service in your
home and not having to give out two phone numbers. An additional bonus
is my landline Caller-ID shows calls I may have miss if someone did not
leave a voicemail message while my cell phone may have been off or did
not received the call.

I have found where Verizon (and the companies it acquired) owned the
original "cellular" licenses, they have more coverage than other
wireless vendors. Otherwise, Sprint or others were better in coverage
and Verizon would roam over to them. As long as you have a tri-mode
phone, either one is good. Pick the service that gives you the majority
of your coverage if you do not want to carry two phones.
!