Two routers on the same network?

I've had a small wireless network in my home for about a year with 1
hardwired desktop, 1 wireless desktop and 1 wireless laptop with few
problems. I'm using a lynksys WRT54G router with 128 bit WEP, and Mac
address filtering on all devices.

Got married last week and moved into new house with wife who has a similar
setup (same router) but has security WEP set up specifically for her work
laptop to access with their own keys. She needs this setup on her own
Desktop unit to access her work stuff as well if she leaves her laptop at
work. Her son's laptop has wireless settings to be able to access the wife's
network. So far, I have been unable to get his laptop to access my network
at the new house which my devices are not having problems with (been too
busy unpacking to mess with it).

How can I set this up so we all access the same network in the new house?
Can I use the wife's router with all of her work settings as an access point
for my network? Would it work better the other way around? Total of 3
desktops, 3 laptops, two wireless routers and 2 printers. All devices have a
wireless card except my desktop and the 2 printers.

Have some (very) rudimentary wireless and networking) knowledge but work
better if acronyms are kept to a minimum.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
3 answers Last reply
More about routers network

    On Thu, 18 Aug 2005 12:01:39 -0400, Zeppo wrote:

    > How can I set this up so we all access the same network in the new house?
    > Can I use the wife's router with all of her work settings as an access point
    > for my network? Would it work better the other way around? Total of 3
    > desktops, 3 laptops, two wireless routers and 2 printers. All devices have a
    > wireless card except my desktop and the 2 printers.

    Which router is faster and more secure, yours or your wife's? It's sounds
    like maybe you have the MAC address wrong for your wife's son's laptop. To
    use both routers, you'll need WDS, and to use WDS, the touters pretty much
    have ot be the exact same make and model.

    Actually, they are both Linksys WRT54G routers (though I'm not sure if they
    are the same version).
    My router setup is probably more secure only because everyone with a home
    wireless setup in my wife's company has to set it up exactly the same way if
    they want their work laptops to access them. The laptops wireless settings
    are locked down.

    I turned off MAC filtering for a while to see if my step-son's laptop could
    connect, but still no go. I'll play with this more this weekend.

    Sorry, but what's WDS?

    Jon

    "Zeppo" <zeppo_m@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > Sorry, but what's WDS?

    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13859095?hilite=wrt54g+wds

Wireless Routers Desktops Laptops Wireless Networking