Sign in with
Your question

Power supply making noise like a lawn mower!

Last response: in Components
May 31, 2004 4:09:17 PM

Hi,
I have a problem with my old 350W power supply from Enermax. It is nearly 3 years old and it begins to make a big noise when I start it, just like a motor. I tried to open it and blast it with air can with vacuum cleaner near of it. It didn't work at all.

Is there a way to tune it?

Another option is to buy another one. I have seen on eBay an Okia 420W for 32 $Can tx incl. which is a very low price for 420W. It is new with 1 year warranty! What could be the catch? I can't find the website of Okia...

Thanks for your help!

My system is now:
Athlon 3000+
Gigabyte KT400
Radeon 9500 softmodded @ 9700
1 GB DDR333
40 GB WD 7200RPM
2 CD drives

<font color=red>The good Smoked Meat Maple Leaf Extra-Fat!
May 31, 2004 6:42:36 PM

Bearings in fans are probably going. Choices are to replace fan, or replace whole power supply.

Ya sure don't want to go from a quality brand like Enermax to some no name brand like Okia though> If you replace whole power supply, stick with a good brand, like another enermax.
June 1, 2004 12:13:58 AM

Buy a good name brand Psu.
Related resources
June 1, 2004 12:18:00 AM

You can buy Fortron 350Watt foe $43 or $65 for 400 watt Psu. US funds. I don't know of web sites where you are.
June 1, 2004 3:55:05 AM

Replace

The

Fan

<End transmission>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
June 1, 2004 6:36:40 PM

How do I change the fan?

[stop]

Where do I buy them?

[stop]

Thanks

[eot]

June 1, 2004 7:06:29 PM

There is another deal on eBay:
RaidMax ATX 12V 420w ATX Power Supply, Dual Fan
for 40$Can tx incl.
It seems to me that raidmax is a known brand. Any thought about this PS? Is it noisy?
Thanks again!

June 1, 2004 9:13:33 PM

You can buy 80mm fans from most computer shops, where u from?

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
512Mb PC4000
2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
Waterchill KT12-L30
Abit AI7
Radeon 9800Pro
</font color=blue>
June 1, 2004 9:37:51 PM

Montreal. It's just strange that I have never noticed that it was sold alone... I'll take a look. BTW, anyone tried to clean the bearings in the fan instead of buying a new fan?

June 2, 2004 1:06:55 AM

I'm in Mount Pleasant, MI. It's a "city" of like, a few hudred people, maybe a few thousand, hehe. We have a new computer shop and a used computer shop. The new computer shop sells new fans, and the used computer shop sells used fans. All the used fans are 2-pin (as most power supplies use) and the new fans are available either in 2 or 3-pin (as most cases use). If you can't find a 2-pin fan, use a 3-pin fans and offset the connector in the proper direction. If your board doesn't use a connector but solders the fan wires on, you can splice the new wires to the old or solder them in place.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!