Power supply making noise like a lawn mower!

Hi,
I have a problem with my old 350W power supply from Enermax. It is nearly 3 years old and it begins to make a big noise when I start it, just like a motor. I tried to open it and blast it with air can with vacuum cleaner near of it. It didn't work at all.

Is there a way to tune it?

Another option is to buy another one. I have seen on eBay an Okia 420W for 32 $Can tx incl. which is a very low price for 420W. It is new with 1 year warranty! What could be the catch? I can't find the website of Okia...

Thanks for your help!

My system is now:
Athlon 3000+
Gigabyte KT400
Radeon 9500 softmodded @ 9700
1 GB DDR333
40 GB WD 7200RPM
2 CD drives

<font color=red>The good Smoked Meat Maple Leaf Extra-Fat!
11 answers Last reply
More about power supply making noise lawn mower
  1. Bearings in fans are probably going. Choices are to replace fan, or replace whole power supply.

Ya sure don't want to go from a quality brand like Enermax to some no name brand like Okia though> If you replace whole power supply, stick with a good brand, like another enermax.
  2. Buy a good name brand Psu.
  3. You can buy Fortron 350Watt foe $43 or $65 for 400 watt Psu. US funds. I don't know of web sites where you are.
  4. Replace

The

Fan

<End transmission>

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  5. lol crash

40k in aquamark 3
    <A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
    " target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
    </A>
    P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@414/732||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Kensington 800 dpi mouse.
  6. How do I change the fan?

[stop]

Where do I buy them?

[stop]

Thanks

[eot]

7. There is another deal on eBay:
    RaidMax ATX 12V 420w ATX Power Supply, Dual Fan
    for 40$Can tx incl.
    It seems to me that raidmax is a known brand. Any thought about this PS? Is it noisy?
    Thanks again!

8. You can buy 80mm fans from most computer shops, where u from?

<font color=blue>P4c 2.6@3.25
    512Mb PC4000
    2x120Gb 7200.7 in RAID0
    Waterchill KT12-L30
    Abit AI7
    Radeon 9800Pro
    </font color=blue>
  9. Montreal. It's just strange that I have never noticed that it was sold alone... I'll take a look. BTW, anyone tried to clean the bearings in the fan instead of buying a new fan?

10. I've even seem 80mm fans at hastings.

40k in aquamark 3
    <A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
    " target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=77119011
    </A>
    P4b2.4@2.8||1024mb DDR@392mhz||9800pro@414/732||Viewsonic UltraBrite 19"||Kensington 800 dpi mouse.
  11. I'm in Mount Pleasant, MI. It's a "city" of like, a few hudred people, maybe a few thousand, hehe. We have a new computer shop and a used computer shop. The new computer shop sells new fans, and the used computer shop sells used fans. All the used fans are 2-pin (as most power supplies use) and the new fans are available either in 2 or 3-pin (as most cases use). If you can't find a 2-pin fan, use a 3-pin fans and offset the connector in the proper direction. If your board doesn't use a connector but solders the fan wires on, you can splice the new wires to the old or solder them in place.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product