DjVanDyk

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Hi I have just read the 15 cases and I have a question about that Lian Li thing. I mean ok so it doesn't have a power connector ok fine. So how do you (after installing everything in place) power on the computer? I mean you have to power it on eventually otherwise whats the point of the case :).

IT'S NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE.................

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
All you have to do is take one of those twisted pair cables with a switch on the end (i.e. not a power or HDD LED one!) and stick it onto the +/- power pins on the motherboard instead of the +/- reset pins. You lose the reset option, but you gain an on/off option.

If you want to start the computer with the reset cable plugged in (which is only a reset cable because it has "reset" written on the plastic tab; it is identical to a power cable in every other aspect), then you need to short the power +/- pins on the mobo with a paper clip or something (which is all one of those switches does).

As for THG saying that most people leave their computers on all of the time... Bollox to that! I have power bills to pay and I don't want my house to catch fire is a PSU fan fails or something.

Axis of Stupid = coop, Kanavit, FUGGER, SoDNighthawk, and ninkey.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by captainNemo on 06/07/04 02:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DjVanDyk

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Yeah I dont leave my comp usually running that much so I have to have a way to turn it ON QUICKLY lmao u know what I mean. However, I can just restart from windows right? I mean go to Start, shut down, restart?

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
Yep, if you plug the supplied reset cable in that Lian Li case into the power on/off pins instead, you end up with a conventional PC with an on/off switch on the front instead of a reset switch.

A reset switch is handy when you are fiddling with the BIOS and the thing hangs on reboot, but it's not something I use/need when everything is up and running (and you can always turn off a crashed PC by holding down the on/off switch for several seconds). Oh, and using the restart option is fine.

Axis of Stupid = coop, Kanavit, FUGGER, SoDNighthawk, and ninkey.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by captainNemo on 06/07/04 05:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

DjVanDyk

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
Ok what if u had another spare case where u could actually get one of those another wires so that I would have reset and power wire (taken from another case) can I put that new additional wire to Lian Li I mean would I be able to connect it to button or somethin I dunno how it works I know one end goes on mobo but the other I dunno lol

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I've done that. At the moment, the on/off switch is dangling out of the PC and isn't attached to anything; it's like one of those remote gizmos that people use to operate slide projectors. Not very elegant, but it works...

Axis of Stupid = coop, Kanavit, FUGGER, SoDNighthawk, and ninkey.

DjVanDyk

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2003
You can't hide it inside? What else I was gonna is that do somre store actually have those Lian Li's allready in stock or is it too new? If you know any on line store (I know newegg don't have em) give me a link.

CaptainNemo

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
You can hide it inside, but that makes it harder to reach...

That Lian Li case has been out for a while; I've seen it in stock at some UK sites (where I live), so it should be widely available elsewhere.

Axis of Stupid = coop, Kanavit, FUGGER, SoDNighthawk, and ninkey.

turmania

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Its a quite shame they havent included the coolermaster praetorian cases in the review in my experience that case owns them all. great looks, great space no sharp edges, great cooling and all. i cant believe they give a case number 1 award that cant even have the power on/off cables sorted out....