Help With EQ2 Performance Please

Hi gang!

I have a P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg card. I
set everything for the high end system and it was way too laggy. I lowered
all the options to the mid-range system and I'm still getting tons of lag in
the cities. In the inn sometimes I can't move. I didn't think I'd be
having these problems with my system.

I'm open to any and all options to improve performance.

Thanks in advance!

Lou
Heckyoubus - Level 9 Mage
Permafrost - EQ2

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:41:46 GMT, "Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I have a P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg card. I
>set everything for the high end system and it was way too laggy. I lowered
>all the options to the mid-range system and I'm still getting tons of lag in
>the cities. In the inn sometimes I can't move. I didn't think I'd be
>having these problems with my system.

Lou, do you see the same type of display lag when running EQL?

How about an FPS, like Doom 3 or UT2k4?

"Seeq Endestroi" <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:41:46 GMT, "Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I have a P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg card. I
>>set everything for the high end system and it was way too laggy. I
>>lowered
>>all the options to the mid-range system and I'm still getting tons of lag
>>in
>>the cities. In the inn sometimes I can't move. I didn't think I'd be
>>having these problems with my system.
>
> Lou, do you see the same type of display lag when running EQL?
>
> How about an FPS, like Doom 3 or UT2k4?

EQ1 runs smooth with the shadows turned off. I don't play Doom or UT2K4

Lou

"Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

> "Seeq Endestroi" <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:41:46 GMT, "Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I have a P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg card. I
>>>set everything for the high end system and it was way too laggy. I
>>>lowered
>>>all the options to the mid-range system and I'm still getting tons of lag
>>>in
>>>the cities. In the inn sometimes I can't move. I didn't think I'd be
>>>having these problems with my system.
>>
>> Lou, do you see the same type of display lag when running EQL?
>>
>> How about an FPS, like Doom 3 or UT2k4?
>

> EQ1 runs smooth with the shadows turned off. I don't play Doom or UT2K4
>
> Lou

Keep in mind that EQ2 was designed to scale graphically several years into
the future - not even the most high end gaming system can currently handle
everything turned up to full.

I'm on a P4 3.4 Ghz with 1 gig of RAM, and I find myself turning complex
shaders off if I'm in a group or a high lag area. Go to options -->
performance --> and set complex shader distance to -1. That gets rid of all
lag for me. If you're taking screenshots or want to bask in the sexy glowy
armour, turn it back up to 8-11 or so.

Otherwise just tweak around and find out what works best.... if specular
lighting is on, that takes alot of memory... lower the amount of high detail
characters perhaps... one thing I don't recommend is turning the texture
detail down - it makes everything look blocky and pixely.

Vincit Omnia
20 Inquisitor/17 Craftsman of Unrest
-Formerly Hexfate Decay, 70 Necro of Tarew Marr

Ryan T <ryan@dontemailme.ca> wrote:
> "Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Seeq Endestroi" <seeq@tcsys.nospam.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Lou, do you see the same type of display lag when running EQL?
>>>
>>> How about an FPS, like Doom 3 or UT2k4?
>>

>> EQ1 runs smooth with the shadows turned off. I don't play Doom or UT2K4
>>
>> Lou
>>

> Keep in mind that EQ2 was designed to scale graphically several years into
> the future - not even the most high end gaming system can currently handle
> everything turned up to full.

Though scaling implies that it will run on current systems too. And the
original post reads as if it does not. And I wouldn't consider this
system as current average system!

Hagen

P.S.: I'm aware that I can't help to solve this problem but I couldn't
resist commenting on this oddity of the SoE gaming engine. ;)

Lou Vincze <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> Hi gang!
>
> I have a P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg card. I
> set everything for the high end system and it was way too laggy. I lowered
> all the options to the mid-range system and I'm still getting tons of lag in
> the cities. In the inn sometimes I can't move. I didn't think I'd be
> having these problems with my system.
>
> I'm open to any and all options to improve performance.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Lou
> Heckyoubus - Level 9 Mage
> Permafrost - EQ2

Do you use dial-up or do you have a high-speed always on option
available to you? I suspect the latter will help immensely. Also, what
"type" of memory do you have? I run the following with no issues at
all:

P4-3.06GHz w/HT
1GB RIMM1066
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (128MB DDR)
DSL 1536kbps/1024kbps [down,up respectively]

I leave the settings at balanced with EQ2 and have no issues at all.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

On Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:12:03 +0100, Hagen Sienhold wrote:

>Though scaling implies that it will run on current systems too. And the
>original post reads as if it does not.

No, it doesn't :)

It reads as if he is reluctant to turn down the eye candy far enough.

Don't pay too much attention to terms like "High", "Balanced", "Low", etc.
Just keep turning down until the FPS is satisfactory, and forget what it
might have looked like had you had a 18GHz pentium IX with 64GB PC19200 RAM.
It'll still look better than most games around.
--
Henrik Dissing
Vork - Dwarven Guardian on Highkeep

(e-mail: hendis AT post DOT tele DOT dk)

"Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy71@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lou Vincze <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>> Hi gang!
>>
>> I have a P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg card. I
>> set everything for the high end system and it was way too laggy. I
>> lowered
>> all the options to the mid-range system and I'm still getting tons of lag
>> in
>> the cities. In the inn sometimes I can't move. I didn't think I'd be
>> having these problems with my system.
>>
>> I'm open to any and all options to improve performance.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Lou
>> Heckyoubus - Level 9 Mage
>> Permafrost - EQ2
>>

> Do you use dial-up or do you have a high-speed always on option
> available to you? I suspect the latter will help immensely. Also, what
> "type" of memory do you have? I run the following with no issues at
> all:
>
> P4-3.06GHz w/HT
> 1GB RIMM1066
> ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (128MB DDR)
> DSL 1536kbps/1024kbps [down,up respectively]
>
> I leave the settings at balanced with EQ2 and have no issues at all.
>
> --
> Thomas T. Veldhouse
> Key Fingerprint: 2DB9 813F F510 82C2 E1AE 34D0 D69D 1EDC D5EC AED1
> Spammers please contact me at renegade@veldy.net.

I have high speed DSL. Not sure what you mean though when you ask what type
of memory i have. How do i find that out?

Thanks!

Lou

> I've got a lot of eyecandy turned up, but like you I turn complex
> shaders off for particularly laggy areas... I started in freeport
> and *never* turned it off till I betrayed, and then in blackburrow
> went slideshow like and turned it down.

I'm lead to believe there are some bugs that effect performance. For
instance the Qeynos catacombs often totally kills my frame rate but I
log out and reload and suddenly I have no problems. While in Stormhold
last night someone said they had 'the lag bug' and logged out and
reconnected. Seems to happen in confined spaces, ie Down Below, Black
Barrow, Stormhold inns etc.

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:41:46 GMT, Lou Vincze wrote:
> I'm open to any and all options to improve performance.

I am running almost an exact same system as you except I have a 9800XT.

Are you running a virus scanner? If so try running once with it disabled to
see if that helps. Is it scanning ALL files or just executables?

Are you running McAfee Internet Security Suite? This caused a TON of lag
for me so I removed it and everything is great.

--
If it starts to make sense, you're in a cult.

> Hi gang!
>
> I have a P4 3.0 with 2 gigs of ram and a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg card.
> I set everything for the high end system and it was way too laggy. I
> lowered all the options to the mid-range system and I'm still getting
> tons of lag in the cities. In the inn sometimes I can't move. I
> didn't think I'd be having these problems with my system.
>
> I'm open to any and all options to improve performance.

Seems odd, I am running with an Athlon XP 3200+ and 1GB of dual channel
PC3200 ram, and a 9800 Pro with 128MB, and only ever see any lag if there
are a whole lot of people around, or I've had EQ2 up and running for a long
time (overnight in trader mode for instance, I suspect some memory leak
issues there). I have my settings at balanced, the default that was set
when I installed the game.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 19 Dwarven Shaman, 17 Scholar

"Tom Welch" <news@tenandsix.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:41:46 GMT, Lou Vincze wrote:
>> I'm open to any and all options to improve performance.
>>

> I am running almost an exact same system as you except I have a 9800XT.
>
> Are you running a virus scanner? If so try running once with it disabled
> see if that helps. Is it scanning ALL files or just executables?
>
> Are you running McAfee Internet Security Suite? This caused a TON of lag
> for me so I removed it and everything is great.
>
> --
> If it starts to make sense, you're in a cult.

I'm running Norton Internet Security which includes anti-virus and firewall.
ANti-virus is pretty much scanning everything. I'm a bit leary about
turning off the virus-scanner.

> "Tom Welch" <news@tenandsix.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 17:41:46 GMT, Lou Vincze wrote:
>>> I'm open to any and all options to improve performance.
>>>

>> I am running almost an exact same system as you except I have a
>> 9800XT.
>>
>> Are you running a virus scanner? If so try running once with it
>> disabled to see if that helps. Is it scanning ALL files or just
>> executables?
>>
>> Are you running McAfee Internet Security Suite? This caused a TON of
>> lag for me so I removed it and everything is great.
>
> I'm running Norton Internet Security which includes anti-virus and
> firewall. ANti-virus is pretty much scanning everything. I'm a bit
> leary about turning off the virus-scanner.

You will never get acceptable performance then. It is examining all the
traffic coming in, as well as doing periodic disk accesses.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>

On Steamfont
Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

"Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> "Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
>

>> "Tom Welch" <news@tenandsix.com> wrote in message
>>>>

>>> I am running almost an exact same system as you except I have a
>>> 9800XT.
>>>
>>> Are you running a virus scanner? If so try running once with it
>>> disabled to see if that helps. Is it scanning ALL files or just
>>> executables?
>>>
>>> Are you running McAfee Internet Security Suite? This caused a TON of
>>> lag for me so I removed it and everything is great.
>>
>> I'm running Norton Internet Security which includes anti-virus and
>> firewall. ANti-virus is pretty much scanning everything. I'm a bit
>> leary about turning off the virus-scanner.
>>

> You will never get acceptable performance then. It is examining all the
> traffic coming in, as well as doing periodic disk accesses.
>
> --
> On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons
>
> On Steamfont
> Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar

Do you suggest running the game with the anti-virus off but with the
firewall still on?

Lou

Lou Vincze wrote:
> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
> > "Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in
> >

> >> "Tom Welch" <news@tenandsix.com> wrote in message

> >> I'm running Norton Internet Security which includes anti-virus and
> >> firewall. ANti-virus is pretty much scanning everything. I'm a
bit
> >> leary about turning off the virus-scanner.
> >>

> > You will never get acceptable performance then. It is examining
all the
> > traffic coming in, as well as doing periodic disk accesses.
> >
> > --
> > On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
> > Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons
> >
> > On Steamfont
> > Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar
>
> Do you suggest running the game with the anti-virus off but with the
> firewall still on?

Never ever switch off your firewall when connected to the internet.
Switching off the anti-virus can make a difference if your PC is at the
low end of the min spec. High end you probably won't notice any
difference. If you do full scan regularly you should "in theory" be
safe.

"Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in news:GnZCd.1619$W32.1129
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Do you suggest running the game with the anti-virus off but with the
> firewall still on?

Yes.

--

"BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk> wrote in

>> Do you suggest running the game with the anti-virus off but with the
>> firewall still on?
>
> Never ever switch off your firewall when connected to the internet.
> Switching off the anti-virus can make a difference if your PC is at the
> low end of the min spec. High end you probably won't notice any
> difference. If you do full scan regularly you should "in theory" be
> safe.

That is how I do it, and even with a well above min spec computer, you will
notice a significant difference with the anti-virus turned off.

--

On 6 Jan 2005 03:39:28 -0800, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
wrote:

>Lou Vincze wrote:
>> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message
>> > "Lou Vincze" <biglou@ix.netcom.com> wrote in

>of

>bit
>> >>

>> > You will never get acceptable performance then. It is examining
>all the
>> > traffic coming in, as well as doing periodic disk accesses.
>> >
>> > --
>> > On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
>> > Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Prophet of 69 seasons
>> >
>> > On Steamfont
>> > Graeme, 20 Dwarven Mystic, 19 Scholar
>>
>> Do you suggest running the game with the anti-virus off but with the
>> firewall still on?
>
>Never ever switch off your firewall when connected to the internet.

....and you are running WinXP. :)

Meldur

Meldur <Meldur@t-online.de> wrote in

> On 6 Jan 2005 03:39:28 -0800, "BombayMix" <bombaymix@altavista.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

>>Lou Vincze wrote:
>>> "Graeme Faelban" <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote in message

>>> Do you suggest running the game with the anti-virus off but with the
>>> firewall still on?
>>
>>Never ever switch off your firewall when connected to the internet.
>
> ...and you are running WinXP. :)
>
> Meldur

Why on earth would I run WinXP?