Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Fn key on keyboard

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
June 26, 2004 9:21:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Can someone tell me what the "Fn" key does on a Compaq keyboard and how
to use it?
I just bought a Compaq CPQ125KB keyboard and noticed a key marked "Fn"
located below the ENTER key. In the brief manual that came with the
keyboard there is no mention of this key.
Would appreciate any information. Thanks, Norm

More about : key keyboard

June 26, 2004 10:17:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

"norm" <notnormrapp@att.net> wrote in message
news:KgiDc.31325$OB3.13882@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Can someone tell me what the "Fn" key does on a Compaq keyboard and how
> to use it?
> I just bought a Compaq CPQ125KB keyboard and noticed a key marked "Fn"
> located below the ENTER key. In the brief manual that came with the
> keyboard there is no mention of this key.
> Would appreciate any information. Thanks, Norm
>

On my Compaq laptop, it activates the blue part of the buttons on the
keyboard. IE, if I press and hold the Fn button, and press the "K" key, the
number 2 is typed on the screen. It also shifts the F1 to F12 buttons to
their blue functions IE pressing Fn then F5 puts my computer into standby
mode.

Henry
June 27, 2004 2:11:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Henry wrote:
> "norm" <notnormrapp@att.net> wrote in message
> news:KgiDc.31325$OB3.13882@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>Can someone tell me what the "Fn" key does on a Compaq keyboard and how
>>to use it?
>>I just bought a Compaq CPQ125KB keyboard and noticed a key marked "Fn"
>>located below the ENTER key. In the brief manual that came with the
>>keyboard there is no mention of this key.
>>Would appreciate any information. Thanks, Norm
>>
>
>
> On my Compaq laptop, it activates the blue part of the buttons on the
> keyboard. IE, if I press and hold the Fn button, and press the "K" key, the
> number 2 is typed on the screen. It also shifts the F1 to F12 buttons to
> their blue functions IE pressing Fn then F5 puts my computer into standby
> mode.
>
> Henry
>
>
Thanks for the input. It does not seem to do the same thing on my
computer. I am using a desktop PC with a Compaq CPQ125KB 126 key
Internet Multimedia Keyboard.
I tried looking up the information on the Compaq website but have so
far been unsuccessful.
Related resources
June 27, 2004 2:28:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

You likely would need the proper drivers for that keyboard to get that
functionality. You would need to know what Presario PC that keyboard ships
with to find the drivers. Is there a Compaq part number on the keyboard? It
would be in the form of XXXXXX-XXX.
HH

"norm" <notnormrapp@att.net> wrote in message
news:%vmDc.32077$OB3.10384@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>
> Henry wrote:
> > "norm" <notnormrapp@att.net> wrote in message
> > news:KgiDc.31325$OB3.13882@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> >
> >>Can someone tell me what the "Fn" key does on a Compaq keyboard and how
> >>to use it?
> >>I just bought a Compaq CPQ125KB keyboard and noticed a key marked "Fn"
> >>located below the ENTER key. In the brief manual that came with the
> >>keyboard there is no mention of this key.
> >>Would appreciate any information. Thanks, Norm
> >>
> >
> >
> > On my Compaq laptop, it activates the blue part of the buttons on the
> > keyboard. IE, if I press and hold the Fn button, and press the "K" key,
the
> > number 2 is typed on the screen. It also shifts the F1 to F12 buttons
to
> > their blue functions IE pressing Fn then F5 puts my computer into
standby
> > mode.
> >
> > Henry
> >
> >
> Thanks for the input. It does not seem to do the same thing on my
> computer. I am using a desktop PC with a Compaq CPQ125KB 126 key
> Internet Multimedia Keyboard.
> I tried looking up the information on the Compaq website but have so
> far been unsuccessful.
>
June 27, 2004 7:12:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq (More info?)

Thank you for suggesting the drivers.
I looked up on the tech site mentioned in the brochure that came with
the keyboard (www.microinv.com/compaq), and they mention that a CD with
a driver is supposed to have been included. I am going to go back to the
store and get the CD.
Norm

HH wrote:
> You likely would need the proper drivers for that keyboard to get that
> functionality. You would need to know what Presario PC that keyboard ships
> with to find the drivers. Is there a Compaq part number on the keyboard? It
> would be in the form of XXXXXX-XXX.
> HH
>
> "norm" <notnormrapp@att.net> wrote in message
> news:%vmDc.32077$OB3.10384@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>
>>
>>Henry wrote:
>>
>>>"norm" <notnormrapp@att.net> wrote in message
>>>news:KgiDc.31325$OB3.13882@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
>>>
>>>
>>>>Can someone tell me what the "Fn" key does on a Compaq keyboard and how
>>>>to use it?
>>>>I just bought a Compaq CPQ125KB keyboard and noticed a key marked "Fn"
>>>>located below the ENTER key. In the brief manual that came with the
>>>>keyboard there is no mention of this key.
>>>>Would appreciate any information. Thanks, Norm
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>On my Compaq laptop, it activates the blue part of the buttons on the
>>>keyboard. IE, if I press and hold the Fn button, and press the "K" key,
>
> the
>
>>>number 2 is typed on the screen. It also shifts the F1 to F12 buttons
>
> to
>
>>>their blue functions IE pressing Fn then F5 puts my computer into
>
> standby
>
>>>mode.
>>>
>>>Henry
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Thanks for the input. It does not seem to do the same thing on my
>>computer. I am using a desktop PC with a Compaq CPQ125KB 126 key
>>Internet Multimedia Keyboard.
>>I tried looking up the information on the Compaq website but have so
>>far been unsuccessful.
>>
>
>
>
>
!