Single band StarTac 7860-no good?

Dean

Is there anywhere an ST 7860 can be used, or is it a paperweight? I have a
bunch of StarTacs, and one of them is not "tri-mode".

Been keeping it around for parts, I guess, but curious if there's anywhere
it can be used.

Dean

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 15:00:53 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Is there anywhere an ST 7860 can be used, or is it a paperweight? I have a
>bunch of StarTacs, and one of them is not "tri-mode".
>
>Been keeping it around for parts, I guess, but curious if there's anywhere
>it can be used.

It all depends. If the phone is digital CDMA only AND can be used in
both the cellular (800 MHz) and PCS (1900 MHz) bands, then you could
use it on VZW's America's Choice network.

VZW has a few phones out now that are of this style, as more places
are now being covered with CDMA digital. Still not 100% (and probably
never will) but for the most part you should be OK.

Dave

Dean

Nope. This one is single-band (800 CDMA and 800 analog).

No 1900 mHz.

Dean

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:50:46 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Nope. This one is single-band (800 CDMA and 800 analog).
>
>No 1900 mHz.

I don't think VZW will allow you to use the phone on America's Choice,
but there aren't that many areas where VZW (or their AC roaming
partners) use the 1900 MHz band anyhow.

Best bet is to ask a CS rep and see what they say.

Dave

Diamond Dave wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:50:46 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Nope. This one is single-band (800 CDMA and 800 analog).
>>
>>No 1900 mHz.
>

> I don't think VZW will allow you to use the phone on America's Choice,
> but there aren't that many areas where VZW (or their AC roaming
> partners) use the 1900 MHz band anyhow.
>
> Best bet is to ask a CS rep and see what they say.

The fine print for AC says a tri-mode phone is required, IIRC, just like with
NSR. It's in the brochures.

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 20:21:37 -0800, Steve Sobol <sjsobol@JustThe.net>
wrote:

>Diamond Dave wrote:
>> On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:50:46 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Nope. This one is single-band (800 CDMA and 800 analog).
>>>
>>>No 1900 mHz.
>>

>> I don't think VZW will allow you to use the phone on America's Choice,
>> but there aren't that many areas where VZW (or their AC roaming
>> partners) use the 1900 MHz band anyhow.
>>
>> Best bet is to ask a CS rep and see what they say.
>
>The fine print for AC says a tri-mode phone is required, IIRC, just like with
>NSR. It's in the brochures.

Here's what the VZW website says. Its somewhat unclear, but I think
you would need at least a CDMA digital phone that does 800 and 1900
MHz bands:

"Requires a CDMA tri-mode or All-Digital phone with specific software
and preferred roaming list as programmed by Verizon Wireless. Digital
service, features and promotions are not available in all areas, may
not follow you across the entire America's Choice Home Airtime Rate
and Coverage Area and may be limited to the Verizon Wireless digital
network."

All-Digital phone.. What exactly do they mean? See my point?

Dave

> Diamond Dave wrote:
> > On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:50:46 GMT, "Dean" <dean173@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >

> >>Nope. This one is single-band (800 CDMA and 800 analog).
> >>
> >>No 1900 mHz.
> >

> > I don't think VZW will allow you to use the phone on America's Choice,
> > but there aren't that many areas where VZW (or their AC roaming
> > partners) use the 1900 MHz band anyhow.
> >
> > Best bet is to ask a CS rep and see what they say.
>
> The fine print for AC says a tri-mode phone is required, IIRC, just like
with
> NSR. It's in the brochures.

-->You can still activate it via web account manager to an *existing*
account. Do not even think of calling Customer Service when it doesn't work
though.
I have activated analog only Bag phones on my existing account this way but,
you really have to know the areas and which carrier is on what freq all the
time.
Since some areas are 1900Mhz only with Verizon, you are going to be SOL for
calls when you are in those areas.
So, yes you can technically but not without issues.
If you are in an area that only uses 800Mhz and never plan on taking that
phone away from the area, it will work fine.
I don't think it would be worth it though, unless you are on the NSR plan
( which they don't offer anymore ) and know where the 1900Mhz areas to avoid
them.
It would seem to be more of a hassle than it's worth......

Scotty

<snip>

> All-Digital phone.. What exactly do they mean? See my point?

-->They are selling less and less of the tri-mode phones, replacing them
with Digital only CDMA phones so, that makes sense to update the language.
The newer phones are 800/1900Mhz phones, just without the AMPS ( analog )
part.

Scotty

Scott Nelson - Wash DC wrote:
> I don't think it would be worth it though, unless you are on the NSR plan
> ( which they don't offer anymore ) and know where the 1900Mhz areas to avoid
> them.

Interesting the spin doctoring. "All-digital" sounds like it only has
that great digital stuff and it doesn't include anything inferior like
that old-fashioned AMPS. Instead of "Digital Only", which would suggest
that it excludes some feature (i.e., AMPS support).

And NSR seems to be back on the Web site, at least in the San Francisco
Bay area.

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:48:28 GMT, Scott Nelson - Wash DC wrote:

> I don't think it would be worth it though, unless you are on the NSR plan
> ( which they don't offer anymore )

NSR is still available, but not actively promoted. Ask for it.