Newsgroup help please

I am looking for help with newsgroups, which I seem unable to access.
Everytime I do try to get into newsgroups, I get error messages saying the
connection has been unexpectedly terminated, similar to the one I have
pasted below.
I am still unsure how I got this far today, but was still unable to go any
further or access any other groups.
I have also been unable to access any groups through OE.
Please forgive me if I do not reply to any help, this will only happen if I
cannot get back to this point.
Many thanks,

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
inactivity. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol:
POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

terry

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813514
do you have a router connected?
If you have high speed connection, switch off your modem for 60 seconds,
please post your results

"David Jones" wrote:

> I am looking for help with newsgroups, which I seem unable to access.
> Everytime I do try to get into newsgroups, I get error messages saying the
> connection has been unexpectedly terminated, similar to the one I have
> pasted below.
> I am still unsure how I got this far today, but was still unable to go any
> further or access any other groups.
> I have also been unable to access any groups through OE.
> Please forgive me if I do not reply to any help, this will only happen if I
> cannot get back to this point.
> Many thanks,
>
> "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for
> this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:O023dDLRFHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl,
David Jones <davidj@butchers99.freeserve.co.uk> had this to say:

> I am looking for help with newsgroups, which I seem unable to access.
> Everytime I do try to get into newsgroups, I get error messages
> saying the connection has been unexpectedly terminated, similar to
> the one I have pasted below.
> I am still unsure how I got this far today, but was still unable to
> go any further or access any other groups.
> I have also been unable to access any groups through OE.
> Please forgive me if I do not reply to any help, this will only
> happen if I cannot get back to this point.
> Many thanks,
>
> "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible
> causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long
> period of inactivity. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server:
> '127.0.0.1', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
> Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Are you sure it shouldn't be news.freeserve.com? It surely shouldn't be
127.0.0.1 (localhost) should it? I'd start there...

For this one?

Open OE > Tools > Accounts > Add > News > msnews.microsoft.com > follow the
wizard with a fake name and fake email address

Try that one and see if you get any problems? (That would be the one for us
by the way.)

Galen

The port for NNTP (newsgroups) is 119 not 110. That is why.

Now if you care to post THE error message that you do get, not a similar
one.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
"David Jones" <davidj@butchers99.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am looking for help with newsgroups, which I seem unable to access.
>Everytime I do try to get into newsgroups, I get error messages saying the
>connection has been unexpectedly terminated, similar to the one I have
>pasted below.
> I am still unsure how I got this far today, but was still unable to go any
> further or access any other groups.
> I have also been unable to access any groups through OE.
> Please forgive me if I do not reply to any help, this will only happen if
> I cannot get back to this point.
> Many thanks,
>
> "Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes
> for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of
> inactivity. Account: 'pop.freeserve.com', Server: '127.0.0.1', Protocol:
> POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Thanks, but I still appear to only be able to access this group, on any
others, I get a message to say that "The TCP/IP was unexpectedly terminated
by the server". When I click on Details, the following message displays:

Configuration:
Account: news.freeserve.com
Server: news.freeserve.com
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Secure(SSL): 0
Code: 800ccc0f

I have made changes as suggested here.
I have an Error warning triangle at bottom right of the screen, and a
Working Online message.
Thanks.

In news:uM$YcJkRFHA.3684@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
David Jones <someone@somewhere.freeserve.co.uk> had this to say:

> Thanks, but I still appear to only be able to access this group, on
> any others, I get a message to say that "The TCP/IP was unexpectedly
> terminated by the server". When I click on Details, the following
> message displays:
> Configuration:
> Account: news.freeserve.com
> Server: news.freeserve.com
> Protocol: NNTP
> Port: 119
> Secure(SSL): 0
> Code: 800ccc0f
>
> I have made changes as suggested here.
> I have an Error warning triangle at bottom right of the screen, and a
> Working Online message.
> Thanks.

Sorry to interupt but is this news server the same as your ISP? Does your
ISP require that you logon with the same user/pass as your dialin
connection? Does your plan with your ISP include newsgroup access?

Galen

Latest posts