Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

WIN XP - "Windows Explorer" very slow opening "My Computer"

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 3:53:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

After installing Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 about a month ago, I've experienced a
major perofrmance problem. Whenever Windows Explorer opens the folder "My
Computer" or otherwise displays a list of my drives (logical drives C: thru
M: all on my local hard drive, no network drives), it takes 3 to 5 minutes to
display the list. Machine is IBM ThinkPad 1.7 MHz with 60 GB HDD and 1 GB
RAM.
--
Thanks, Remlek

More about : win windows explorer slow opening computer

Anonymous
April 25, 2005 7:37:25 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

Remlek wrote:
> *After installing Windows XP Pro w/ SP2 about a month ago, I've
> experienced a
> major perofrmance problem. Whenever Windows Explorer opens the folder
> "My
> Computer" or otherwise displays a list of my drives (logical drives
> C: thru
> M: all on my local hard drive, no network drives), it takes 3 to 5
> minutes to
> display the list. Machine is IBM ThinkPad 1.7 MHz with 60 GB HDD and
> 1 GB
> RAM.
> --
> Thanks, Remlek *



Well. I am in the same situation, I cant find the solution.



--
vojvoda
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1563291.html
Anonymous
April 27, 2005 4:44:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

vojvoda wrote:
> *Well. I am in the same situation, I cant find the solution. *

I'm also having the same problem.

It is not hapening in safe mode nor in safe mode with network support.

It's a fresh install.

I have also disable all startup items with msconfig but no solution
yet.

Still searching ...

If anyone can help?



--
numb13
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
------------------------------------------------------------------------
View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1563291.html
Related resources
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 3:45:27 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I have seen this happen when applications are loaded that include the right
click menu. ie: if you right click on something, you will see an advanced
menu that includes features for an application. One such app is Winzip.
Sometimes you can reload one of these types of applications and it will fix
this lag. Most often to do with the XP Shell. Have you tried to Googlize
your symptom and did you get any hits?
h.
"numb13" <numb13.1o66u2@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
news:numb13.1o66u2@mail.mcse.ms...
>
> vojvoda wrote:
>> *Well. I am in the same situation, I cant find the solution. *
>
> I'm also having the same problem.
>
> It is not hapening in safe mode nor in safe mode with network support.
>
> It's a fresh install.
>
> I have also disable all startup items with msconfig but no solution
> yet.
>
> Still searching ...
>
> If anyone can help?
>
>
>
> --
> numb13
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1563291.html
>
June 29, 2005 12:29:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.perform_maintain (More info?)

I had a similar problem when working with Explorer. I was using a VPN
connection to my domain, and it would take forever to browse the file
structure. I found a thread that helped. Do a search for the subject: "Re:
Windows Explorer too slow"

In case that dosen't work, here is the link to the site that had the reg
fix. http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Look for #157 "Prevent Automatic Folder and Icon Refresh"


"Herb Oldenburg" wrote:

> I have seen this happen when applications are loaded that include the right
> click menu. ie: if you right click on something, you will see an advanced
> menu that includes features for an application. One such app is Winzip.
> Sometimes you can reload one of these types of applications and it will fix
> this lag. Most often to do with the XP Shell. Have you tried to Googlize
> your symptom and did you get any hits?
> h.
> "numb13" <numb13.1o66u2@mail.mcse.ms> wrote in message
> news:numb13.1o66u2@mail.mcse.ms...
> >
> > vojvoda wrote:
> >> *Well. I am in the same situation, I cant find the solution. *
> >
> > I'm also having the same problem.
> >
> > It is not hapening in safe mode nor in safe mode with network support.
> >
> > It's a fresh install.
> >
> > I have also disable all startup items with msconfig but no solution
> > yet.
> >
> > Still searching ...
> >
> > If anyone can help?
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > numb13
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Posted via http://www.mcse.ms
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > View this thread: http://www.mcse.ms/message1563291.html
> >
>
>
>
!