Mystery program in Add - Remove programs

April 19, 2005 4:01:02 PM

I went into my Add Remove programs wizard and I have an entry in it with no
name, size, date or option to remove or change. It is very big in relation to
all the others. In fact, just using the down arrow in the scroll bar takes
about a minute to get down to the next program entry. What is causing this
and how do I get rid of it?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 6:23:51 PM

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm , scroll down to
Item No. 226 (right column) and click on "Remove the White Space from
Add or Remove".

[Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"DBlake" wrote:

| I went into my Add Remove programs wizard and I have an entry in it with no
| name, size, date or option to remove or change. It is very big in relation to
| all the others. In fact, just using the down arrow in the scroll bar takes
| about a minute to get down to the next program entry. What is causing this
| and how do I get rid of it?
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:27:02 PM

If the large black and white space is between the "F" and "G" entries, go to
Programs Folder and delete File Checker folder, if it is there that will cure
the probem.
April 19, 2005 8:08:03 PM

Actually, it's between my A and B.

"bmhome1" wrote:

> If the large black and white space is between the "F" and "G" entries, go to
> Programs Folder and delete File Checker folder, if it is there that will cure
> the probem.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 8:13:01 PM

Carey, thanks for the tip. I tried to use the two tools available for
download on the site and neither of them helped.

The site also said: "From here you can either remove the negative number or
remove the last application listed: Start/Run/Regedit:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{}".
I'm not sure what the brackets mean at the end of that statement. The last
application listed in the list that comes up in following that path is an
application that has an entry in the Add & Remove wizard. That last
application also begins with a Z where this white space exists between the A
and B in the list.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm , scroll down to
> Item No. 226 (right column) and click on "Remove the White Space from
> Add or Remove".
>
> [Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP]
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "DBlake" wrote:
>
> | I went into my Add Remove programs wizard and I have an entry in it with no
> | name, size, date or option to remove or change. It is very big in relation to
> | all the others. In fact, just using the down arrow in the scroll bar takes
> | about a minute to get down to the next program entry. What is causing this
> | and how do I get rid of it?

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 10:14:36 PM

I have AutoCAD LT 2000i. The white space in Add or Remove Programs usually
shows up after the AutoCAD LT 2000i listing. If you want to tweak the
registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0065-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_SZ
Value Data: C:\Program Files\AutoCAD LT 2000i\aclt.exe,-1

Notice the aclt.exe,-1?? You can change it to read aclt.exe,1

Or you can run one of the fixes. I have both autocadaddremovefix.zip &
autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.zip. They both include icons.
autocadaddremovefix.vbs is the one that works for me. It's easier to use
the fix than changing the -1.

I get the white space in Add or Remove Programs every time that I add or
remove a program. It isn't always AutoCAD LT that has the white space after
it, sometimes it's another program. At any rate, one of the fixes will
work. Until the next time. ;-)

autocadaddremovefix.vbs adds an autocad.ico icon to the %systemroot%\web
folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\autocad.ico

autodesk-landdesktop3-addremovefix.vbs adds an acad.ico icon to the
%systemroot%\web folder. It also adds this to the registry >>
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0138-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
Value Name: DisplayIcon
Value Type: REG_EXPAND_SZ
Value Data: %systemroot%\web\acad.ico
-----
***
From snowman...
AutoCAD 2002 is
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\
{5783F2D7-0101-0409-0000-0060B0CE6BBA}
-----

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.