Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Steam Downloads why so long to download?

Tags:
  • Download
  • Games
  • Steam
  • Video Games
Last response: in PC Gaming
January 7, 2012 8:25:04 PM

Am I the only one that has this problem? Games that should download in an hr or two take like a day to download from steam's site ? :pfff: 

More about : steam downloads long download

January 9, 2012 12:54:06 PM

Go in your Steam settings and change your "Internet Connection Speed". You may have put it accidently to 56K or something. Try cable or (auto-detect) to see if it makes a difference.
m
l
January 9, 2012 1:18:09 PM

What speed are you downloading at when you start the download?

as alex said, either it's your settings in steam or your connection.
m
l
Related resources
January 9, 2012 3:13:12 PM

Thx guys my speed is between 500-600kb I will check my settings on steam to see what there checked at :) 
m
l
January 10, 2012 5:23:02 PM

If you're downloading at 500-600kb/s then that means a game (say 10GB) would take you roughly 40-45 minutes.

That's odd...
m
l
January 10, 2012 5:28:55 PM

Hi :) 

It also depends on how many people are using the Steam servers.... particularly when a new game is released at midnight ....thousands of people all trying to download the same game equals much slower downloads...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
January 11, 2012 12:19:29 AM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
If you're downloading at 500-600kb/s then that means a game (say 10GB) would take you roughly 40-45 minutes.

That's odd...

Yeah thats what I thought ? But maybe like Brett said might just be server downloads in general are the cause for the slow downloads.
m
l
January 11, 2012 12:45:48 AM

most likely server strain
m
l
January 11, 2012 11:24:56 AM

riv21 said:
Yeah thats what I thought ? But maybe like Brett said might just be server downloads in general are the cause for the slow downloads.

Next time you download/install a big game, check periodically on it (to see if it keeps the 500-600Kb/s speed). In my case, it'll start at maybe 300kb/s for a few minutes and then go up to 500-600kb/s. On occassion when i've downloaded random unpopular games (i'm thinking of Limbo, Trine, and those types) the download went up to 1Mb/s speed.

If that is the speed at which you're downloading but it's taking much longer than say an hour to download then you might want to look at local potential issues such as how your disk is fragmented (is it almost full?).

Anyways, downloading a full game within an hour is quite reasonable IMO.

Cheers.

Alex
m
l
January 11, 2012 12:55:11 PM

I've recently downloaded TF2 (~13Gb), took a few hours but average speed started around 600 and in about 20 mins when I checked again it was going at 1.9Mb/s and stayed there almost whole time
m
l
January 11, 2012 7:28:22 PM

I thought steam throttled download speed, I only say that because on origins i get 3.3Mb/s. On steam along with all my friend's it jumps to 2Mb/s then solid at 1.1Mb/s. The amount of people on steam servers will DESTROY your download speed. I bought a game when skyrim came out got a whopping 51bytes/s OUCH.
m
l
January 18, 2012 2:56:26 PM

Alex The PC Gamer said:
Next time you download/install a big game, check periodically on it (to see if it keeps the 500-600Kb/s speed). In my case, it'll start at maybe 300kb/s for a few minutes and then go up to 500-600kb/s. On occassion when i've downloaded random unpopular games (i'm thinking of Limbo, Trine, and those types) the download went up to 1Mb/s speed.

If that is the speed at which you're downloading but it's taking much longer than say an hour to download then you might want to look at local potential issues such as how your disk is fragmented (is it almost full?).

Anyways, downloading a full game within an hour is quite reasonable IMO.

Cheers.

Alex

Yeah must of been the servers was just going insane as I was trying to download batman arkum city which is still a very popular game. But my speeds were much better when downloading crysis and fear lol
m
l
January 18, 2012 3:05:42 PM

It's definitely inconsistent for me. I can get up to 2.5mb/s from a good source, like youtube usually streams at that speed for 1080p. But, Steam it will be anywhere from 300kb/s to 1mb/s and it's rarely stable. Not sure what the issue is.
m
l
November 3, 2012 5:09:48 AM

im having same issue i have a 2mb conection , when it starts downloading it is at 2mb but after 2 mins slowly drops down to 50-100kb over the space of a min , i have checked my steam conections they are all set right this has happend on 2 games now , im not capped or anything like that. and any other dl i do not on steam work fine, i have sent about 5 msg's to steam help desk but have not heard back in over a week , any idears guys ?

ps sorry for my spelling i know im shocking lol
m
l