Puzzling PSU Problem...

Cascara

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004
Hi guys, got new PC parts today and overall, the PC performs excellently and i'm very happy with it. (specs below).

However, when the case is vertical, the PSU just cuts out randomnly when ever there is any sort of power being used (ie, when windows is required to load). Yet when the case is on it's side, it runs fine. At the moment, i've put this down as a faulty PSU, but could it be anything else?

Specs:
Athlon Barton 3200+
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
PSU: Antec TruePower 430W (That's the really puzzling thing...it's a very good PSU)

Tell me if you need info about sound or graphics cards etc (don't see why you would, but just ask)

kinetic_tw

Distinguished
May 29, 2003
Double check and make sure everything is seated properly inside the case. Make sure there are no power cords touching any pins or parts that they shouldnt be. After that, yes, replace the PSU.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a short! You might have a mounting post under the board that doesn't belong there, but not touching by a thousandth of an inch, and when you tip the thing upright the board flexes a little and contacts it! Just a thought.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

eagle8635

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004
How is the ventilation in the case? Heat can cause PSUs to have a reduced output (especially if they are cheap).

-----
The two most common elements in the univers are hydrogen and stupidity.

poly4life

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
Also, make sure there is nothing lose in that case like a screw. And if you suspect a PSU problem, try this: take the PSU out of the case and power on the case as normal and try your best to position the PSU and the case so that you can put the case on its side and see if it still happens, all the while keeping your PSU immobile. Then, try flipping the PSU, seeing if moving around your PSU will be a problem, and keeping the case on its side ('cause you said vertically is what is the problem).