Antec 550 TrueControl vs. 480 TrueBlue

Is the 550 worth the extra money? $95 shipped for the 480 and $120 shipped for the 550... what extra features does the true control offer? Is it truly worth the extra $25? I will have to really suck it up to spend $95 on a psu, but I just sold a 350W I had, and so I need to replace it, and I could get the Antec and put my CoolMax 450 into the one I took the 350 out of... for I want to ensure my computer in not unstable because of a weak psu...

<font color=red><b>NF7-S/Mobile Barton 2600+
211x11.5 1.824v SLK900A
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
Sapphire 9500np@9700np</font color=red><font color=black>
NF7-S/Barton 2500+
200x11.5 1.76v
512MB XMS PC2700
XFX Ti4200
16 answers Last reply
More about antec truecontrol trueblue
  1. Buying Antec PSU the True Power is their best. Buying the 480 make sure you buy True Power.
  2. Do you need 550 watt Psu?
  3. No... 480 will be more than enough... so thinks I...

211x11.5 1.824v SLK900A
    1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    NF7-S/Barton 2500+
    200x11.5 1.76v
    512MB XMS PC2700
    XFX Ti4200
  4. I cannot tell if it is true power or not...

<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-914&depa=1" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-914&depa=1</A>

211x11.5 1.824v SLK900A
    1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    NF7-S/Barton 2500+
    200x11.5 1.76v
    512MB XMS PC2700
    XFX Ti4200
  5. It is a true power... from one of the pics... and I just ordered it..

211x11.5 1.824v SLK900A
    1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
    NF7-S/Barton 2500+
    200x11.5 1.76v
    512MB XMS PC2700
    XFX Ti4200
  6. Fortron Source makes better quality supplies than Antec, for less money.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  7. Fortron Source is a lot lighter than Antec TruePower. I do not think that is a sign of good PSU.
  8. You might want to consider Enermax PSU. They cost about the same as Antec TruePower. I have good experience with Enermax PSU.
    April issue of Computer Power User magazine's cover story is the review of three $5,000+ PC from Falcon Northwest, Maingear and Voodoo PC and all 3 manufacturers use Enermax PSU for their show-horses. It is a better indicator for the quality of PSU then hardware review site. I read a article from a magazine a while ago compare products purchse on the market and products send to them by manufacturer for review and they find out that some product on the market perform a lot worst than the product send to them by the manufacturer.
    The PC Manufacturer have more resource to test the quality of PSU and the PSU manufacturers cannot just delivery a high quality PSU for review since they will have to supply the PSUs for production unit too.
  9. Fortron Source are a lot heavier than Antec True Power, the last 350W I had outweighed my friend's True Power 380W.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
  10. I can vouch for Crashman. Although he probably doesn't remember helping me, he ultimately convinced me to try an FSP (Fortron Source) PSU; so, I bought the 530W FSP (note: Sparkle Power and Fortron Source are, for the most part, the same company). Well, it hasn't failed me at all. Fortron, if I'm correct, rates their PSUs not at their peak wattage but the highest stable wattage. Trust me, they're GREAT PSUs

But there are many companies who make great PSUs. If I'm building a computer and have to pick a PSU blindly without reading a review on it, I'd trust PC Power and Cooling, Zalman, Antec, Enermax, and Fortron (or Sparkle). That's just my two cents.
  11. Zalman uses FSP power, PC Power&Cooling uses them in some of their supplies as well.

12. That's funny, I thought Sparkle and Fortron use the same supplies. I actually asked Pc Power And Cooling about their supplies and they said they didn't use FSP or anything. Everything is in-house. (I talked to someone on the phone). And Zalman are in the same boat as said PSU company. What does that say then, that these custom PSU builders use other people's supplies? Again, I recall that Sparkle Power uses FSP supplies. I'm pretty sure they have or still do.
  13. Hey Crashman, in your opinion, why is that everyone raves about PC Power and Cooling? I mean, I definitely recommend them - absolutely! But it's not like they're G-D's gift to PC builders or anything. On this site, THG, there have been power supply reviews where PC Power & Cooling did not come out on top.
  14. PC Power&Cooling might be making their own stuff now, but a review I read 2 years ago showed one of their supplies with Fortron internals.

Sparkle Power (not to be confused with Sparkle brand expansion cards) is somehow connected to Fortron Source at a higher level than simple marketing, Sparkle Power is probably Fortron's retail lable. I've read several references to Zalman using Fortron Source parts with their own cooling solution.

15. I just take out my Antec 380 watt in one of my comptuer to compare to the Fortron Source 350 Power Supply that I ordered for my friend. Antec is definitely heavier. Both are recent model. Fortron Source PSU was ordered in April and Antec PSU was brought in January.
  16. B/C PC power and cooling make the highest quality power supplies. They have tight voltages, realistic power ratings, and an awesome reputation. I'm sure that because FSP makes good supplies, PCP&C may have used some of their parts, but I'll bet you they ran some additional tests first. By the same token, they're pretty expensive. Their uber 510W PSU runs about $200. So, you're probably paying $100 more for 15% more quality. Unless you are running an absolutely critical PC, I would be inclined to say go with a cheaper FSP PSU. But, I won't neglect to mention that in my opinion, PC Power and Cooling makes the best power supply, even though I don't use them. Hell, NEC/Mitsubishi make what I would consider the best 21" monitor, but I'll probably never have one, cause its $600.

"If I owned this place and hell, I'd rent out this place and live in hell" - Toombs
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Antec Font Components